Speculation: Where do you think that Crosby ends up on the career PPG list?

bambamcam4ever

107 and counting
Feb 16, 2012
Since only 6 players have ever had a career PPG average above 1.42, and all those who did played in a higher scoring era, I have a hard time imagining Crosby will finish outside the top 5. Since league scoring likely can't fall too much farther, I'd say he finishes his career with 1.35-1.45 PPG.

Tofveve

Mar 10, 2013
The West
I think he'll ultimately finish 4th. I see him passing Bossy sometime next year and staying at #3 for a time period that exceeds Bossy's career number of games. Bossy's career ended early though, so he practically played in his prime years for his entire career and only played a limited number of games in his "declining" phase. Additionally his last season was 86-87 when there were an average of 3+ more goals scored per game than today's era. If Crosby plays into his 40's and the league scoring rate remains static, it will be very difficult to not have some "declining" years drag down his career average. 1.5 PPG is almost impossible to maintain in this era and very few players have achieved that over the course of single season since the early 90's.

That being said, if you normalize the scoring of each player to that of the league goal scoring average during their respective era, Crosby will be closer to the number 1 player in that category, Lemieux.

Good post, I agree with it too.

Also, cool thread idea TS.

DoktorZaius

Feb 7, 2013
With conditioning and how well guys are playing into their old age these days we might see an unprecedented level of domination from mid to late 30's players. What used to equal severe decline might now mean you see a late 30's Crosby still putting up 100 point seasons. If MSL can do it, why not Sid?
Yup. Of course, he benefits by playing with Stamkos, but he's definitely still a world-class talent in his own right. And by the time this becomes relevant, we will have moved past Kunitz and Dupuis. Hopefully Shero (or his successor) will have found him some wingers with a bit more natural talent by then, so that Crosby won't have to do it all in his twilight years.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad