Speculation: where do you stand?

Leafs: good/on the right track, or, bad/lost the plot

• Total voters

meefer

Jun 9, 2015
Bangkok
I'm curious. Much has been made about the team this year, its GM, the coaches, the on ice product. People taking positions and arguing back and forth. We tend to break it down into small areas for discussion and apply those 'micro' involvements to support an overall position. But, we never come out and state what we think of the TEAM. So here's your chance, do you like the direction the team is heading, or not? It's a simple question, let's not get bogged down in details, those discussions can be pursued in other threads.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
We’ve been one of the best teams in the league since we’ve got a coach that believes in the roster being built and willing to play it the way it’s meant to be.

It’s not perfect. I don’t think anyone would say it is. But as a whole? This is still one to the most talented teams we’ve seen since... possibly ever (given the early 00’s and mid 90’s teams were more grit based).

Is there work to be done? Yes
Is this a good team? Yes

Kingstondude84

Dec 22, 2019
Where do I stand, this is a tough one

This team is loaded with skill, and has enough of it to win a cup. However I have serious questions about this teams mental maturity! It wasn't that long ago when they went up against adversary with Babcock, instead of being professionals, they acted like a bunch of spoiled brats who quit on their own team. Lord knows I'm no fan of Babcock, but while hes gone, the same mental issues remain, what happens when they encounter their next bout of something they don't like?

I'd say this team is "good", on the right track, but they also badly need some maturity on this team, leaders who go to war for each other.

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
We still have deficiencies regarding our defensive play and overall physicality, but since Keefe took over, it's hard not to like our current trajectory. We have an elite record since then and the team is still adjusting to his system, so there's more room for improvement as well.

meefer

Jun 9, 2015
Bangkok
Thanks to those who quickly responded. I was thinking about refining/clarifying my idea of what is good or bad, but you've taken it in the spirit in which it was offered. Can't ask for more, carry on if you wish.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
Roll out the carpet to the conference finals minimum! There is no end to our depth and the high end talent is second to none. Highest scoring team in the league now with Caps.

***** giving up less shots now***** huge important trend that we needed to see. Good a chance as any we win it all this year. Just a force now that playing to their strengths. Keefe’s Leafs look different :)

Kingstondude84

Dec 22, 2019
We still have deficiencies regarding our defensive play and overall physicality, but since Keefe took over, it's hard not to like our current trajectory. We have an elite record since then and the team is still adjusting to his system, so there's more room for improvement as well.

This team is based on skill/attack/speed, turnovers/poor coverage at times will always be an issue. The one thing I have noticed is that we aren't hemmed in nearly as much as the Babcock era,and shots against are down by a significant margin too.

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
Short Term
They are fine to finish high in the regular season. Same as they were to start the year.

Wasn’t sold on the prospect of a playoff run... under Babcock or Keefe. Dubas has work to do.

Long Term

Solid pieces assembled by Burke, Nonis, Lou, Hunter and Dubas.

Just not sure they fit together under the massive salary disparity we have.

Also not sure if we will see a return to the Country Club atmosphere Shanahan was so intent on ridding from the team. With player involvement in decisions and a Rookie coach backed by a Rookie GM who wasn’t exactly stingy on the contract front... there are some watch outs

Latter two points are a wait and see. Who knows.

Ricky Bobby

Aug 31, 2008
Where do I stand, this is a tough one

This team is loaded with skill, and has enough of it to win a cup. However I have serious questions about this teams mental maturity! It wasn't that long ago when they went up against adversary with Babcock, instead of being professionals, they acted like a bunch of spoiled brats who quit on their own team. Lord knows I'm no fan of Babcock, but while hes gone, the same mental issues remain, what happens when they encounter their next bout of something they don't like?

I'd say this team is "good", on the right track, but they also badly need some maturity on this team, leaders who go to war for each other.

Babs also undermined the Leafs from actually uniting and it has only been about 15 games since he left.

Babs actually tore any team unity away.

A couple examples are:
1. Babs repeatedly complaining about not having the pieces to work with. I've never heard a coach complain so much about he doesn't have to work with. His job was to make it work with what he did have and build players up to make them want to go to war for him and each other.
2. Benching Speeza in front of friends and family just cause he's a prick.
3. A novice level coach knows you shorten your bench and play your best players in critical game but instead Marleau we got to see lots of Marleau.
4. Marner and the list incident.

The team definitely seems a lot more united under Keefe but I do agree they still have some work to do.

Reactions: Oscar Peterson

Kingstondude84

Dec 22, 2019
Babs also undermined the Leafs from actually uniting and it has only been about 15 games since he left.

Babs actually tore any team unity away.

A couple examples are:
1. Babs repeatedly complaining about not having the pieces to work with. I've never heard a coach complain so much about he doesn't have to work with. His job was to make it work with what he did have and build players up to make them want to go to war for him and each other.
2. Benching Speeza in front of friends and family just cause he's a prick.
3. A novice level coach knows you shorten your bench and play your best players in critical game but instead Marleau we got to see lots of Marleau.
4. Marner and the list incident.

The team definitely seems a lot more united under Keefe but I do agree they still have some work to do.

I totally get whaytyour saying and im glad hes gone, but still i can't defend how the leafs handled it either.

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
It's a work in progress, and that's the most exciting thing. This is a 100+ point team and we're not done.

Key considerations

-lack of "jam". We've seen it already in the last 18 games. Jam is a result of either passion or temperament. You can't force either, and passion doesn't exactly shine through when you're being stifled. trending up in a big way.

-the most scarce and differentiated resource in this league is elite talent. we have it in spades

-we're asset heavy with very few (no) restrictions in the next few years

-Most critics completely misinterpret the team's philosophy wrt to grit/physicality. It's coming. It's just going to come at a price that makes sense in a form that can play the teams style.

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
I feel the Leafs are on a roll but i'm positive if Freddy lets in 2 first period goals someone will call for a rebuild.

It's just the nature of our think less, rage more world.

79D9E4A5-E298-4DD5-A892-556B428FBD3F.png

He was right. We didn't need it.

But we got it.

Reactions: qqaz

A1LeafNation

Obsession beats talent everytime!!
Oct 17, 2010
Short Term
They are fine to finish high in the regular season. Same as they were to start the year.

Wasn’t sold on the prospect of a playoff run... under Babcock or Keefe. Dubas has work to do.

Long Term

Solid pieces assembled by Burke, Nonis, Lou, Hunter and Dubas.

Just not sure they fit together under the massive salary disparity we have.

Also not sure if we will see a return to the Country Club atmosphere Shanahan was so intent on ridding from the team. With player involvement in decisions and a Rookie coach backed by a Rookie GM who wasn’t exactly stingy on the contract front... there are some watch outs

Latter two points are a wait and see. Who knows.
Tough to know, but I'd bet Nonis wanted Ritchie in 2014 not Nylander.

LeafSteel

GO LEAFS GO!!!
Mar 5, 2014
Toronto
We are still too soft and our defence is not what we need, but at least we have a GM and a head coach who are now on the same page.

It was very clear Babcock and Dubas were not on the same wave length.

We are not good enough to go deep in the playoffs without a tougher mindset and greater strength at defence, but at least we are entertaining as hell to watch again, and our players so far are buying what Keefe is selling.....

Kingstondude84

Dec 22, 2019
We are still too soft and our defence is not what we need, but at least we have a GM and a head coach who are now on the same page.

It was very clear Babcock and Dubas were not on the same wave length.

We are not good enough to go deep in the playoffs without a tougher mindset and greater strength at defence, but at least we are entertaining as hell to watch again, and our players so far are buying what Keefe is selling.....

Pittsburgh and Chicago won multiple cups based on elite offense/meh defense/softness....why can't we?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->