Speculation: where do you see the oilers finishing this season

Where do you see the oilers finishing this season

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Smartguy

May 3, 2010
Edmonton
McDavid is going to McDavid, your right. That being said, if Draisaitl is stapled to his hip all year this year than he should be fine in terms of point production. Remember that RNH started last year with McD for the first while so Draisaitl wasn't his winger for a complete season.

There were WAY more career worst seasons on the Oilers last year than there were career best.
A lot of that production lost that you mention should hopefully be picked up by a improved bottom six.
Like I said in the post above, it should be very hard for them to repeat such a historical awful year for bottom six production.

I agree to an amount that the new bottom 6 will make up for some of the lost production off Hopkins, and I still don’t see Drai getting 50 again and over 100 points. But I still don’t see us having the defensive depth or goaltending to make up the points we missed by. If anything instead of being in the bottom 10 we are somewhere in the 10-12 range. We have to stay healthy as well, especially our high end guys.

Gordian Knot

Jul 3, 2016
If team gets their shit together and there is little bit of luck!

Be strong on your faith guys!

6BCE3AE8-FE22-49C5-AB82-18B01703A6E4.jpeg

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
I think we finish in the exact same spot as last year. Our depth will be better but Nuge and Drai will regress to their previous norms.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Just a little perspective on what people actually thought about this club going into the year. Seems like they did better than most thought

Reactions: TB12 and Mez

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
Just a little perspective on what people actually thought about this club going into the year. Seems like they did better than most thought

I was thinking about this poll the other day as well. I voted "Booking T times by Jan 15th" btw. A full 50% of the fans thought we'd be out of contention by March, and another 25% thought we wouldn't make the playoffs. So 75% of fans, including me, were wrong and this team surpassed expectations. Yes, losing to Chicago sucked (with bad reffing and even worse puck luck) but we have to step back and see that this team made strides. It still has problems (no top-pairing dmen), average tending at best, and very little secondary scoring outside 29/93/97, but there is some hope in a couple of those areas.

There is no top-pairing dmen coming, but Bear and Jones looked good, which helps the defense overall. Bouchard had a good rookie pro-year and Broberg impressed a lot this summer. I don't think we can wait for any of those guys to become top-pairing guys, but their improvements mean that maybe Holland can trade our 1st rounder + Bear/Broberg for a #2 guy, or something like that.

Yams looks like he will be a 2nd line winger, and Neal was a lot better than people thought. This isn't ideal or anything, but I think if Yams can become a 18-20 goals/year player, that goes a long way to helping things out. The aforementioned improvement in defensive prospects also means that we might be able to make a trade for some forward help. I also think there will be lots of cheap wingers available, potentially including a guy like Ennis, who could be at least serviceable for a season with 97.

I don't see any good hope in tending unfortunately.

Reactions: Mez

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
I was thinking about this poll the other day as well. I voted "Booking T times by Jan 15th" btw. A full 50% of the fans thought we'd be out of contention by March, and another 25% thought we wouldn't make the playoffs. So 75% of fans, including me, were wrong and this team surpassed expectations. Yes, losing to Chicago sucked (with bad reffing and even worse puck luck) but we have to step back and see that this team made strides. It still has problems (no top-pairing dmen), average tending at best, and very little secondary scoring outside 29/93/97, but there is some hope in a couple of those areas.

There is no top-pairing dmen coming, but Bear and Jones looked good, which helps the defense overall. Bouchard had a good rookie pro-year and Broberg impressed a lot this summer. I don't think we can wait for any of those guys to become top-pairing guys, but their improvements mean that maybe Holland can trade our 1st rounder + Bear/Broberg for a #2 guy, or something like that.

Yams looks like he will be a 2nd line winger, and Neal was a lot better than people thought. This isn't ideal or anything, but I think if Yams can become a 18-20 goals/year player, that goes a long way to helping things out. The aforementioned improvement in defensive prospects also means that we might be able to make a trade for some forward help. I also think there will be lots of cheap wingers available, potentially including a guy like Ennis, who could be at least serviceable for a season with 97.

I don't see any good hope in tending unfortunately.
I've said for years if we can't find a true #1 d-men then we have to try get more top 4 guys onto this team. Ideally if you can have 3 2nd pairings you should be able to make that work.

Goaltending I could live with Mikko for another year, but have to find a decent backup to push him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->