Speculation: where do you see the oilers finishing this season

Where do you see the oilers finishing this season

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
The Pacific is weak. However Calgary, Vegas, San Jose are easily the best teams in the division. Arizona and Vancouver are better on paper too imo.

The central having a few teams missing key RFAs could help but imo it's a much stronger division than ours. If we aren't top 3 in the Pacific, we don't make it, so unless one of the big 3 division teams has major injuries, our playoff chances are close to zero

Pretty much agree. I agree we pretty much have to finish in the top 3 in the pacific because the Central is much stronger than the Pacific. The exception is Winnipeg, I think they are going to suffer this year but may still be good enough for a wildcard spot. I expect Chicago to bounce back a bit though.

SJ is pretty much a lock in the pacific. Jones was awful last year and they still had a good year.

Vegas is pretty much a lock too. They lost some pieces but I still think they are a better team overall than SJ. The only weakness I see with them is if Fleury gets injured or struggles. I still think they will overcome that though.

I think Calgary is going to drop off a bit this year. I doubt if it will be enough to slip past 3rd though.

All in all, its going to be very tough for the Oilers to make the playoffs. Arizona should be a bit better and Vancouver plays hard. Anaheim could bounce back but I wouldnt count on it. Only team which I think is pretty dead in the water is LA.

Mcnofool6110

Re-defining Rock Bottom since '07
Dec 7, 2011
Sydney
Thought Anaheim would surprise and bounce back, but then they hired Dallas Eakins.

Los Angeles is fully rebuilding. Good for Kovalchuk for hitching a ride to that franchise. Maybe he resurrects himself and the team for a year. Unlikely.

San Jose likely takes a step back but realistically not too far. I imagine they go on a prolonged losing streak in December and ice DeBoer.

A full year of Mark Stone and an older McNabb/Theodore probably means Vegas will be better.

Thats two clearly above us and two we probably beat.

Arizona has made savvy moves and Vancouver's back end is pretty fantastic. They've also not made the playoffs in the same period where we haven't. I doubt them the same way we should be doubted. Calgary won the division and proceeded to trade for Lucic, get a mystery box goalie in Talbot and not supplement their defensive/offensive depth. That's our tier (jmo).

Bullish opinion in September: I think San Jose takes the division, Vegas close behind, and we dogfight with Calgary for spot number 3. We finish 4th. Probably close to a WC. Don't know if we get it.

Ah, f*** it. We're winning the Cup. Can't stop what you can't believe

Todd from Leduc

Connor “The Next Great One” McDavid
Nov 15, 2017
Leduc
There’s a lot of negativity in here boys and I don’t get why? Look at all the upgrades and the fact we still have the best center grouping in the league.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
There’s a lot of negativity in here boys and I don’t get why? Look at all the upgrades and the fact we still have the best center grouping in the league.

We have a worse team on paper from last year.

For the Edmonton Oilers to make the playoffs damn near everything will have to go right.

Took a pill in Sbisa

2showToffoliIwascool
Apr 23, 2004
Australia

Pretty much every team ahead of us, and there's a lot, stayed the same or got better and we got worse. The positive posters aren't explaining why the teams ahead of us will regress to the point where we leapfrog them.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
We have a worse team on paper from last year.

For the Edmonton Oilers to make the playoffs damn near everything will have to go right.

Draisaitl McDavid Kassian
Chiasson RNH Neal
Nygard Granlund Gagner
Khaira Brodziak Archibald
Benson

I would say is better than

Drai McDavid Rattie
Reider RNH Chiasson
Lucic Strome Puljujarvi
Khaira Brodziak Kassian

Koskinen + Smith is also better than Koskinen + last year's Talbot IMO.

D is mostly the same except this year Jones and Bouchard are a year more experienced and should be able to play in the lineup at a better level when called upon.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Pretty much every team ahead of us, and there's a lot, stayed the same or got better and we got worse. The positive posters aren't explaining why the teams ahead of us will regress to the point where we leapfrog them.

He's a dumb Flames fan with a parody account I wouldn't take it seriously. Hope he enjoyed that ass whupping from Colorado, lol.

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
Just an interesting little stat... but even though Koskinen was generally mediocre last season... in his games he had a decision in.. he went 25-21-6 which means his team had 56 pts in those 52 games.

Projected over a full season, that's 88 pts... whereas the team finished with 79 pts... so Talbot was where the crap really hit the fan... he had a 10-15-3 record with the Oilers.. 23 pts in the 28 games he had the decision in which works out to a projected 67 pt full season.

Getting better backup (or 1B) goaltending this season from Smith will make or break this team's shot at the playoffs. I am actually fairly confident that Smith can and will be better than what we saw from Talbot.. and that alone could easily add a few more wins to the points column.

Put it this way... even if Smith comes in and puts up a mediocre year like Koskinen had last year... that likely means a ~88 pt season for the Oilers... which is a full 9 pts better than what they had last season.

Now add a few more goals from the offense (which I'm expecting because the bottom 6/7 forwards HAVE to be better this season)... and I think you are quite quickly looking at a 90+ point projection for the Oilers.

I'm going 1 better and saying Smith will put up ~91% goaltending which is where I come up with ~96 pts for the Oilers.

I think the Oilers are one solid dman or forward addition away from a 98+ pt season projection which would pretty much mean 100% playoffs (of course another massive teamwide regression or key injuries could always torpedo the team.. but that's the case with any team in any year).

If a player like Persson/Benson/Nygard or some other player puts up an excellent year... I think that along with the other "probable" improvements the team has made... will result in the Oilers being strongly in the mix for a playoff spot.

Reactions: Oilhawks

Tyrolean

Feb 1, 2004
Draisaitl McDavid Kassian
Chiasson RNH Neal
Nygard Granlund Gagner
Khaira Brodziak Archibald
Benson

I would say is better than

Drai McDavid Rattie
Reider RNH Chiasson
Lucic Strome Puljujarvi
Khaira Brodziak Kassian

Koskinen + Smith is also better than Koskinen + last year's Talbot IMO.

D is mostly the same except this year Jones and Bouchard are a year more experienced and should be able to play in the lineup at a better level when called upon.
Players I don't particularly like and should be upgraded if possible.
Gagner, Khaira, Brodziak, Russell, Benning, Koskinen. Newcomers given the benefit of the doubt for now, but there's bound to be a few laggards there too.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
How did the Oilers get worse??? The only significant subtraction is Sekera. And while I have my concerns about this buyout It's not like he played a key role on the team over the last two years.

We are talking about a team where Wideman, Garrison and Manning played 34 games on the back end and rookies Jones and Bouchard played 24. In Jones' case a fair number were with him on the top pairing due to injuries. Throw in another 36 games from Gravel and you have over 70 games from guys who were at best marginal NHL'ers last year. At worst the defense should be slightly better than last year and if a guy like Larsson bounces back, should be, barring significant injuries, much better.

The forwards are definitely better on paper than what the team got out of them last year.

Smith over Talbot is yet to be determined but it is hard to imagine Smith being worse than Talbot played last year.

Winnipeg is worse on paper by a long shot. They lost three regular defensemen without any real replacements of note.

Calgary to my view is worse. Despite his poor early numbers Smith carried the Flames for much of the latter half of the season. From Jan 15 onwards Smith had a SV% of .910 and a GAA of 2.38 vs Rittich's .898 and 2.85. Both in 18 games. I personally think the chances that Neal out plays Lucic are very high. Tkachuk is likely to miss all of training camp. They likely lose Frolik who has played a significant role for them. Gio is one year older and Valimaki is out for a long time.

Vegas added Stone which is a big plus but they lost a good deal of their depth. And they were a team that won by getting the most out of every line. Their defense is Schmidt, Theodore, McNabb, Merrill, Holden and Engelland which on paper is probably worse than the Oilers. As good as Stone is, he's no McDavid. Vegas beats you if Fleury plays great and everyone else is firing on all cylinders. They don't beat you on paper.

SJ lost a lot of scoring when Pavelski left. 38 goals is hard to replace. Add in another 16 from Thornton (ho I still think will be back) and as of right now they lots 54 goals and 115 points plus a lot of veteran leadership. Then add in Donskoi and even Nyquist and it is hard to argue that they did not lose a lot this off season.

No team in the Pacific is a powerhouse. All of them, including the Oilers, could be an injury or two away from a disaster.

Reactions: Oilhawks

Roof Daddy

Apr 1, 2008
I put in contention until April, but I think we do squeak in. We need a number of things to go our way though. I’d say Vegas and SJ are locks as the top 2 in our division, and I think both WC come out of the Central. That leaves us battling with Calgary, Vancouver and Arizona for 1 spot.

What we need most is to get off to a good start. If we can be in a playoff spot around game 20, I think Holland will get aggressive early to upgrade the roster. The fear of a frustrated McDavid has to be a motivating factor here. The 20 game mark will also be enough time to evaluate the unknowns on the roster. Hopefully a gem or 2 pop up (I’m looking at you Nygaard and Archinald).

If Pulju can play great and increase his trade value for a roster upgrade, if Benson can be a surprise impact player (maybe called up mid-season), then I think playoffs are realistic. It wouldn’t hurt matters if Tkachuk holds out for a while in Calgary.

There’s more competition for roster spots than in years past, and with a new coach that’s a good thing - more options to see who fits his system the best.

PinSeeker

Really narrowed his eyyyyyyyyyesssssss
Aug 22, 2005
YLW
They will score more up front, D will be about the same give or take, but the massive question is goaltending. If Mike Smith is the 2nd half of last year Mike Smith (.910) and Mikko is first half Mikko (.906) we have a slim chance if we are not top 5 in HDCA again. If any of those variables is not true, we are hooped imo.

Smartguy

May 3, 2010
Edmonton

Look at last season, Draisaitl and Hopkins had potentially career years, Nurse had potentially a career year, Kassian had a good year or at least second half. I doubt those 4 can all repeat or better last seasons production. So where do we make that all up to jump about 15 points in the standings to be a playoff team? Mcdavid will be Mcdavid but outside of that we still lack proven depth up front and on defense. Our goaltending is also a big maybe. Teams take time to adjust to a coach on top of all that. I find it hard to see an argument where we somehow improve off last season without many significant adds.

BowDangles

May 2, 2010
Edmonton
The only optimism I have is that the Oilers missed the playoffs by 11 points last season. That is not a very big margin in terms of one goal games...
Last year they had a record breaking year for how bad their bottom six forward group production was.

They haven't addressed that very well by just adding a bunch of 4th liners, but it still will be hard to repeat that bad of a bottom six season.

If the Koskinen/Smith tandem isn't a complete tire fire and the blue line doesn't run into injury issues they might have a shot..

BowDangles

May 2, 2010
Edmonton
Look at last season, Draisaitl and Hopkins had potentially career years, Nurse had potentially a career year, Kassian had a good year or at least second half. I doubt those 4 can all repeat or better last seasons production. So where do we make that all up to jump about 15 points in the standings to be a playoff team? Mcdavid will be Mcdavid but outside of that we still lack proven depth up front and on defense. Our goaltending is also a big maybe. Teams take time to adjust to a coach on top of all that. I find it hard to see an argument where we somehow improve off last season without many significant adds.

McDavid is going to McDavid, your right. That being said, if Draisaitl is stapled to his hip all year this year than he should be fine in terms of point production. Remember that RNH started last year with McD for the first while so Draisaitl wasn't his winger for a complete season.

There were WAY more career worst seasons on the Oilers last year than there were career best.
A lot of that production lost that you mention should hopefully be picked up by a improved bottom six.
Like I said in the post above, it should be very hard for them to repeat such a historical awful year for bottom six production.

Crabapple

Jun 17, 2010
Edmonton
I think we'll be fighting for a wildcard spot until the end of season. If we can get average goaltending we have a good shot of getting in.

GodPucker

Sep 27, 2017
people forget that Koskinen was putting up good numbers until he played something like 20 out of 21 games or it was even a bigger stretch.

Maybe he plays consistent with a rotating role?

Reactions: CycloneSweep

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad