Where do we go from here?

Igy

Mar 3, 2011
Seeing Leafs "fans" who say the season is done and turn on them and call for a rebuild or a firing of some sort, it just makes me think of the joker in the Dark Knight when he says "when I say that one little old mayor will die, everyone loses their minds"

Leafs lose 6 in a row and everyone loses their minds!!!! Before this 6 game slide, how would everyone rate this season? I personally thought it was going very well, let's not let a 6 game losing streak make us go crazy, it's at a bad time but let's still give the guys confidence, after all, that's part of our job as fans.

Do you even watch the games? This whole season has been a joke and without Vezina quality goaltending from Bernier, we would easily be a lottery team right now.

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
We have one big power forward who can/could cycle the puck, one world class sniper, and one Tyler Bozak.

Well you are hitting the nail on the head

who on this roster can we count on to win one on one board battles.?

who do we have that can take and give face wash scrums infront of either net?

do we have anyone on this team that holds real leadership qualities on and off the ice?and I don't mean the Hollywood speech of the week BS.

who on this roster skates as hard at back checking and coming off for a line change as they would on a break away?

the answer: not enough of them.

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
Do you even watch the games? This whole season has been a joke and without Vezina quality goaltending from Bernier, we would easily be a lottery team right now.

wow someone with the ability to speak the harsh truth:handclap:

leafs in five

Feb 4, 2007
engelland
@markhmasters
Asst coach Cronin told players that although Blues outshot Leafs 21-5 in 1st 18 mins, the scoring chances were only 5-3 STL

fire every last one of these clowns.

leafs in five

Feb 4, 2007
engelland
from what I can tell it is the job of at least 2-3 coaches/front office guys to just come up with explanations as to why the Leafs aren’t really that bad in the face of overwhelming evidence to the contrary.

forget about shots, corsi events, whatever. one of the Leafs coaches seems to have thought that the Leafs weren’t drastically outplayed in that first period against the Blues. how do you get better when many of the people in charge don’t seem to believe that there is anything fundamentally wrong? bad luck, injuries, shot quality, October no fluke, next question.

Bardown warrior

Oct 26, 2013
Mississauga
@markhmasters
Asst coach Cronin told players that although Blues outshot Leafs 21-5 in 1st 18 mins, the scoring chances were only 5-3 STL

honestly...I've been reading quotes from the whole team these last couple of days and it feels like none of these guys are feeling the urgency of the situation. I hope Liewieke cleans house.

Diatomic

Mitch Matthewlander
Mar 12, 2013
Air Canada Centre
@markhmasters

**** excuses and rubbish coming out of their lieng mouths lmao.

I'm actually laughing 5-3 scoring chances? Did the leafs get 3 breakaways out of their 5 shots or what? This guy's delusional.

leafs in five

Feb 4, 2007
engelland
It makes sense to me that the guys who coach and who assembled this team will refuse to admit that there’s not anything seriously wrong with it aside from injuries and back to back games and pressure from the media on a supposedly young team and James Reimer. but if the Leafs have any hope of turning this thing around they need to get rid of these guys. the front office is an echo chamber. we’re young, yeah we get outplayed all the time but we’ve shown that we can win this way so why fret about it? we’ll be better in the playoffs anyway, and in the future all the guys in their mid- to late-20s on our team will get better, not worried about year 6 of the Clarkson deal because year 1 he will be great, on second thought there is too much pressure on a guy who’s signed a big deal of which he was in no way deserving, year 2 will be better, yeah I agree, good hockey talk between a group of hockey guys that have a ton of hockey smarts and experience working with other hockey guys and just being around the game.

Jacob8hockey*

Maybe bring in some former Maple Leaf alumni to run the team? From management to coaches.

Take this as a chance to hire Gretzky as the President of the Toronto Maple Leafs.

Convince Gilmour to leave his own Kingston team and be the GM of the Leafs.

Hire Sundin as the coach

:sarcasm:

blueberrie

Mar 23, 2010
Richards and Carter say what's up

Chara and Thomas too

I'm not sure if you're implying this is the plan to go from here but good god could you imagine a Richards/Carter scenario with us?

Schenn, Simmonds, 2nd/Voracek, top ten 1st, 3rd

our comparables

Kadri, JVR, 3rd/Rielly, 1st '15, 2nd.

That would be the biggest hail mary play ever.

You better hope

Lupul - Richards - Kessel
Kulemin - Carter - Raymond
Bolland - Bozak - Clarkson

instantly develop into a cup contender and win one within the next 5 years or so because you will have a loooong rebuild after that.

Our youth would essentially be Gardiner, Gauthier, Percy, Finn and 2016 1st. :laugh:

That's the problem with retools, they drastically shorten your cup window and give you less time to make adjusts on the fly. Now we're trying to retool our retool to try and get any success with Kessel/Phaneuf. Our cup window has essentially opened in terms of Lupul/Kessel/Phaneuf. That core are in their primes and are struggling to make playoffs in a weak conference.

If we had a 22 yo Seguin on our roster and a 21 yo Hamilton/Couterier I doubt people would be freaking out as much. We'd probably be more or less in the same position standings wise. They'd also be substantially cheaper and younger.

Bottom line in the terms of "where do we go from here". The Leafs have a hell of an uphill battle to put together a contender around Kessel and Phaneuf before they are past their primes. Most of it hinges on Kadri and Rielly becoming #1C and D because outside them we have little cap room, expendable assets or bluechip prospects in the pipeline.

I personally think they can't do it and would be best to cut their losses now. If you think they can there needs to be some drastic additions this offseason, as entering the 2014-2015 season as a playoff bubble team was definitely not part of the 5 year rebuild plan.

Loosie

The Eternal Optimist
Jun 14, 2011
Kitchener, Ontario
Okay... I think we can all agree we're not making the playoffs. And before i get to my point, I just wanted to say what a disgrace this team has come to be. No heart, no leadership none of anything, and the blame does not lie squarely on one person, but rather the team. Absolutely disgusting. I personally don't know what the problem is, or where to start, but i think we might have to get rid of what we thought our core was going to be going forward. Ie: lupul, Kadri, franson etc etc..

This team isn't good enough, and it looks like were gonna get a mid first rounder this year. Out of all the possibilities, what do you see happening?

Sorry we can't all agree in this yet. We are not out yet. But you know doom and gloom is all the rage.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad