Speculation: Where do TJ Brodie and Sami Vatanen land?

crackdown44

Cold milk cools down hot food
Dec 1, 2017
Would love NJ to bring in Brodie, they are desperate for help on the left side and have the cap space to pay him whatever he wants. We need veterans who can sponge up minutes, especially after trading Greene. Would help ease in Ty Smith and help shelter Butcher/make him expendable.

It was also rumored that Shero was kicking tires on Brodie last summer before the Subban trade went through. Interesting to think about how differently things could have gone.

The question is if he wants to chase a Cup, because NJ can't offer him that right now.

Boston needs an LD to ease Chara's minutes and replace Krug. No fit for Vatanen. Brodie is the right handedness but maybe not the right style. A steadier simpler partner for McAvoy might work better.

xxxx - McAvoy
Grezylcyk - Carlo
Chara - Clifton

Brodie is a lot better on the right side even though he’s left handed

Meeqs

Aug 23, 2012
USA
Brodie is the type of player I could see Colorado offering a big money short term deal to. Like hey here is a boat load of money on a 1 or 2 year deal, come win a cup and they get another pay day when the flat cap is behind you.

Out of all of the Dmen he is the one I think is most fascinating.

Vatanen sucks, so he will probably be scraping the bottom of the barrel. Teams just wont commit the money to someone with his injury concerns in a market filled with better options

Maurice of Orange

Wahatquenak
Feb 5, 2016
Why? So they can get worse?
Toronto needs bigger cheaper bottom pairing defensemen which is why I don’t believe Brodie or Vatanen would be useful to Toronto at a higher cap hit. One of Dermott, Sandin or Liljegren need to step up in the 20-21 season.

The leafs are woefully sofT in their own zone as well, unless the leafs are ok with Marincin and Rosen as the bottom pair defensemen.

Go Wings

Sep 26, 2009
Chatham, ON
Brodie is eithee going to re-sign in Calgary or going to a sunbelt team. His wife has MS and has a hard time with the cold weather. They do love it in Calgary though.

As much as I would love him in Detroit I highly doubt he comes here and definitely wont go to TO. He was a Wings and Yzerman fan growing up.

Chayos

Mar 6, 2003
Winnipeg
Toronto needs bigger cheaper bottom pairing defensemen which is why I don’t believe Brodie or Vatanen would be useful to Toronto at a higher cap hit. One of Dermott, Sandin or Liljegren need to step up in the 20-21 season.

The leafs are woefully sofT in their own zone as well, unless the leafs are ok with Marincin and Rosen as the bottom pair defensemen.
Sandin and Liljegren make the money Tor can afford as well, so internal growth is the right answer with their top end cap hits right now. Toronto fans are to use to bidding on every UFA out there. If I was their GM I would move out Marner or Nylander for a younger cheaper top end RD and good forward prospects or picks to round out their cap a little better.

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
Maybe it's an unpopular opinion, but Brodie would likely do really well in Toronto. He's not an RHD, but he is an RD that would mesh well with either Rielly or Muzzin.

Papi 4 Hart

Nov 9, 2018
Toronto is not a destination for Brodie or Vatanen.

The Leafs should be looking for bigger veteran defenseman such as Byfuglien, Borowiecki or Gudas.

I'd take Brodie and Vatanen over any of those 3. Is Byfuglien even gonna play a game ever again? Chances are he weights 300lbs right now and is fishing up north.

DJJones

Nov 18, 2014
Calgary
Brodie is fine on his left side too. He dragged Calgary to the playoffs with Engelland on the left side with a Norris worthy type year.

It was Hamonic he sucked with. He just happened to be on the left side with Hamonic.

Hoping we sign him though. Losing him and Gio slowing down is just too much for the young guys to handle all at once.

Hischier and Hughes

“I love to hockey”
Jan 28, 2018
Would love NJ to bring in Brodie, they are desperate for help on the left side and have the cap space to pay him whatever he wants. We need veterans who can sponge up minutes, especially after trading Greene. Would help ease in Ty Smith and help shelter Butcher/make him expendable.

It was also rumored that Shero was kicking tires on Brodie last summer before the Subban trade went through. Interesting to think about how differently things could have gone.

The question is if he wants to chase a Cup, because NJ can't offer him that right now.
Isnt Brodie a right defenseman who played left in Calgary? Also I think Brodie struggles defensively

Maybe I am misremembering.

Maurice of Orange

Wahatquenak
Feb 5, 2016
Sandin and Liljegren make the money Tor can afford as well, so internal growth is the right answer with their top end cap hits right now. Toronto fans are to use to bidding on every UFA out there. If I was their GM I would move out Marner or Nylander for a younger cheaper top end RD and good forward prospects or picks to round out their cap a little better.
I agree, I would move Nylander for a RD instead of signing one off the free agent market.

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013
I have a sneaking suspicion that Vatanen sticks around in CAR. How they fit him in cap-wise, I have no idea.

HighLifeMan

#SnowyStrong
Feb 26, 2009
Isnt Brodie a right defenseman who played left in Calgary? Also I think Brodie struggles defensively

Maybe I am misremembering.

He's a LHD that plays better on the right side. He has arguably the best backhand transition pass in the game.

And no, he's not poor defensively, in fact he is well above average. He got a horrible rep for having a tough stretch from 16-18' when having to drag around the corpse of Denis Wideman for a season, and then having terrible chemistry with Hamonic the following year.

He's a quality #3 that can eat a ton of minutes.

howkie

Dec 13, 2014
as a Jet, rather go for Brodie over vats, but both would be needed badly

gabeliscious

Jan 8, 2009
i can see dubas in on that action.

Rielly. Brodie
Muzzin. Vatanen
Sandin holl
Lily

Package dermott with johnsson or kerfoot

Unsustainable

Seth Jarvis is Elite
Apr 14, 2012
North Carolina
Rumor mill is that Carolina wants to hold onto Sami.

We are probably looking to shed TVR, Gardiner and possibly Fluery.

We could possibly looking at:

Slavin - Hamilton
Skjei - Pesce
Fluery/Bean - Sami

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Don't really see Brodie as the type to go chasing a big payday. Would be happy to see him back with a 4 or 5 year deal ~5.5AAV.

He would be a great partner for Reilly but I don't think he wants the Toronto media spotlight on him. If he goes anywhere else I imagine it'll be a retirement contract in a better climate for his wife to deal with her MS. Detroit might be a possibility I guess as he has a lot of family in the area.

Reactions: Nanuuk

Nanuuk

Nov 16, 2013
Calgary, Alberta
TJ pretty much grew up as a Flame. He's a 10 year man, smooth and elite skater, plays left or right D, and a tape to tape passer. He's not overly physical but doesn't shy away from rougher play. He came in as a single guy and is now married with a 1 year old. His wife has MS and TJ is involved in a number of community organizations. I think he'd like to stay here and be a Flame for life. But in the end he has to do what he thinks is right for his family. And the Flames have to manage to a cap. I have a hunch he will re-sign in Calgary to a team friendly deal ~5M X 5 and Calgary will say goodbye to Hamonic, Gustaffson and Forbort. They will possibly trade one of Hanifin or Kylington and go with a younger D crew with the exceptions of Giordano and Brodie and Stone who they will re-sign to the league minimum.

Giordano/Brodie
Hanifin/Andersson
Valimaki/Yelesin

Stone

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad