Where Do They Finish?

Where do the NYI finish?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Jester9881

May 16, 2006
Long Island NY
Figured with 11 games left, I'd do one more considering both times they went on a winning streak....

Standings:

stand.png

Remaining Schedule:
nyisched.png

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
3rd in the Metro

I’m thinking we go 6-5 down the stretch. There are still some tough road games in places we just don’t play well. I voted without considering the schedules of Pittsburgh or Washington. Our last 10 games have been the same sort of stumble along as the 10 before that. Not sure if that gets resolved or if we just go into the last game of the season playing at a tick above 500 in the last 11.

Jester9881

May 16, 2006
Long Island NY
One of the things I've learned over the years is that SOS (strength of schedule) this time of year goes out the window as far as teams are concerned. Washington plays Tampa 3X, but they've already clinched and pretty much locked down the presidents trophy. The real dangerous teams this time of year are the ones right on the bubble like Carolina, Montreal, Minny etc....

Le Grec

Jun 28, 2011
I picked 2nd in the Metro, but I firmly buy into the "this is an evaluation year" mindset, so I don't care where they finish. All I care about is seeing what they got in the playoffs...

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
One of the things I've learned over the years is that SOS (strength of schedule) this time of year goes out the window as far as teams are concerned. Washington plays Tampa 3X, but they've already clinched and pretty much locked down the presidents trophy. The real dangerous teams this time of year are the ones right on the bubble like Carolina, Montreal, Minny etc....
Absolutely! :thumbu:

I made the same point in a thread on the main board recently. Even bad teams will suddenly play great at the end because there's no pressure and they know they're going to be golfing soon and want to make a good last impression or whatever.

Reactions: Jester9881

crasherino

May 9, 2013
I dunno bout that. If you watched that TB/Was game, those team do NOT like each other. The caps knocked Tampa out of the playoffs and this past game was a physical battle. While Tampa may rest a guy or two down the stretch if they are banged up, I don't see Tampa taking their foot off the gas once they're on the ice. Once you take that proverbial foot off the gas, you often times have trouble finding it again. You don't want to give an opponent like Washington the idea that they can beat you.

I'm thinking Tampa gets up for those games as a precursor to a potential playoff matchup and revenge from last year. I'll take Washington playing Tampa twice more over a team like Minny/Montreal any day of the week.

BTrotts19

May 17, 2013
LI, NY
3rd in the Metro

I’m thinking we go 6-5 down the stretch. There are still some tough road games in places we just don’t play well. I voted without considering the schedules of Pittsburgh or Washington. Our last 10 games have been the same sort of stumble along as the 10 before that. Not sure if that gets resolved or if we just go into the last game of the season playing at a tick above 500 in the last 11.

I think we've all seen this team play up and down to competition. For whatever reason these guys get pumped up and come out flying against teams we should struggle against and viceversa. For me, it comes down to the injuries situation. This team can't play without Cizikas in the lineup and if he's really dinged up and has to missing another week or more, I could see us slip. If he's back in the next game, I feel pretty good about our chances of getting at least a round at home. Also a fully healthy Boychuk is important as well--Hickey has been a decent replacement but when the games start to get heavier, we need the bigger body and better defender. I voted 2nd in the division.

Jester9881

May 16, 2006
Long Island NY
I get the feeling that the guys sitting out recently aren't that banged up and Trotz is just trying to guage how this team reacts to the adversity, as well as get some key players rest and depth players in game action. Remember, this team has stayed relatively healthy all season up until recently. Going into the playoffs with the 4th line, Lehner and Boychuk rested and with Hickey/Ladd/Johnston/Knuckle warmed up in the wings if needed is exactly how I want to go into the first series. Same reason he's trying out different line combinations all of a sudden.

ThreeLeftSkates

Nov 20, 2008
I get the feeling that the guys sitting out recently aren't that banged up and Trotz is just trying to guage how this team reacts to the adversity, as well as get some key players rest and depth players in game action. Remember, this team has stayed relatively healthy all season up until recently. Going into the playoffs with the 4th line, Lehner and Boychuk rested and with Hickey/Ladd/Johnston/Knuckle warmed up in the wings if needed is exactly how I want to go into the first series. Same reason he's trying out different line combinations all of a sudden.
Lehner and Czikas are ready, I doubt Boychuk is. He will be back soon, which is good news. I think we can keep first until its over, just hoping no one else gets hurt.

BMOK33

Oct 5, 2005
Probably 2nd. At that point we just hope they draw Carolina and not the Pens. I’m not sold on the idea they can’t beat the Pens but the special teams would have to have a great series. I’ve said before I have no doubt that 5 on 5 we out score them in a series. I just don’t think 5 on 4/4 on 5/4 on 4 we do and that’s usually enough to lose you a series. Carolina doesn’t have the offensive firepower to beat them in a 7 game series. If they settle for a low scoring battle against the Isles they’ll lose most of the time.

Islesfan22

Jan 15, 2013
Rockland
Think it’s time to hit the panic button with this team. Still think they will make the playoffs but with this difficult schedule it’s a good thing they have a descent cushion.

TeamKidd

Aug 9, 2004
1st wildcard, up on Carolina by 4 points , carolina has a game in hand. Hard to imagine carlolina NOT getting 2 more points than the isles at this point.

Only hope CBJ doesnt catch fire or we're in deep doo-doo

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad