News Article: Where Do the Senators’ Brännström and Batherson Fit in 2019-20?

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Ottawa - Batherson
Belleville - Brannstrom

I think it will do Batherson some good to play in Ottawa in his rookie season so he can get a first hand look at how hard you have to work to be an everyday NHL player & how difficult it will be to have Ottawa be a playoff team. The sooner these guys realize this is not going to be the country club environment they are expecting in the NHL & that they will have to work their a$$ off to make Ottawa a playoff team the better for the team.

With Chabot & most likely Wolanin ahead of Brannstrom on the left side he will need to wait until at least the trade deadline before we see him in Ottawa unless there are injuries to players ahead of him. It won't hurt him to get another yr under his belt in the AHL to prepare him for the NHL & he will need to be at his best when he gets here if they have any chance of being a playoff team anytime soon. PD will need to move some more players in Ottawa this yr to make room for their better prospects next yr.

Reactions: TkachukNorris79

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
Batherson is an NHL lock. Probably ends up being our best forward by the end of the season, if he's not there already.

I'm assuming Wolanin is going to beat out Brannstrom for the last D spot, given that he's 4YRs older and already looked more than ready in his 30 games last season.

Brannstrom probably gets called up whenever there's an injury on the blueline, and probably gets a permanent spot after the deadline when at least one of DeMelo/Hainsey/Boro are traded.

Reactions: Larionov

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Batherson is an NHL lock. Probably ends up being our best forward by the end of the season, if he's not there already.

I'm assuming Wolanin is going to beat out Brannstrom for the last D spot, given that he's 4YRs older and already looked more than ready in his 30 games last season.

Brannstrom probably gets called up whenever there's an injury on the blueline, and probably gets a permanent spot after the deadline when at least one of DeMelo/Hainsey/Boro are traded.

Brannstrom has a big advantage if he can play either side when it comes to injury call ups. Training camp almost always results in an injury or two, I could see both Wolanin and Brannstrom at least temporarily make the team as a result of that.

Batherson has the inside lane to make the team. He should be there for sure if we're going purely based on ice impact.

EasyMoneySniper

Jul 5, 2019
Batherson is a lock to make the team. Who was the last player to wear #19? I think I remember a scrub wearing it after Spezza.

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019

I would be really strange if this organization does not promote a single rookie in the fall.

OD99

Oct 13, 2012
Nothing wrong with Batherson getting the full season in NHL - there is an adjustment period for that and he can learn and improve in the NHL as well as AHL.

No matter what the B-Sens will have a ton of skill and young players throughout the line-up with lots of options for call-ups.

I am actually looking forward to this season quite a bit for both squads...first time I am really going to be rooting for close, exciting losses though. Will be weird.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Nothing wrong with Batherson getting the full season in NHL - there is an adjustment period for that and he can learn and improve in the NHL as well as AHL.

No matter what the B-Sens will have a ton of skill and young players throughout the line-up with lots of options for call-ups.

I am actually looking forward to this season quite a bit for both squads...first time I am really going to be rooting for close, exciting losses though. Will be weird.

Looks like Belleville and Brampton should have very competitive teams this year. That will be good for Ottawa in the future. I think Batherson is the most ready and able prospect to make the jump. I think there should be room for one more on the 4th line like Paul or Rodewald.. but those guys can be leaders in Belleville as well.
Wolanin should make Ottawa. Doesn't leave much room for anyone else on D until injuries or moves.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad