News Article: Where Do the Senators’ Brännström and Batherson Fit in 2019-20?

Sens

Jan 7, 2016
I'm gonna have to disagree with you both here. To think 0.5 p/g is that impressive and shows he has nothing left to prove would be ridiculous.

But on the other hand, that is a small sample size, and over the course of the season he showed that he's already one of the better offensive players in the AHL.

It was a playoff push... the club needed goals and the dude choked with 1G in his last 13...when the games got tighter... the offense vanished

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
So better than .50 points per game? Thanks for unproving your point.

Also, in the last 11 games of the season, Belleville averaged less than 2 goals per game.
Dropping from over 1.10 ppg to scoring at that rate and only 1 goal total when the team is in a playoff race is cutting his production in half. It proves to me that the opposition likely matched up harder on him as he was a rookie and they didnt do it at the start if the season. He is going to be a first line player in Ottawa id like to see him dominate the AHL for a full season on a very good team. To win and build good habits. Bellevilles lack of production was directly tied to Bathersons... Thus him struggling down the stretch was incredibly crucial in their success and making the playoffs.

Why rush the process with Batherson when the team is in the current state its in? Thats all I am saying, same with Brannstrom.

Last edited:

supsens

Oct 6, 2013
Just for the moment... Melnyk said he wanted a team full of young talent comprised of mostly 1-3 vet players

Young talent isn’t rookies and EM isn’t building the team. The conversation was on how upsetting it is the sens are not just playing all rookies, so what you are saying is pointless and not at all following the conversation

MatchesMalone

Formerly Innocent Bystander
Aug 29, 2010
Dropping from over 1.10 ppg to scoring at that rate and only 1 goal total when the team is in a playoff race is cutting his production in half. It proves to me that the opposition likely matched up harder on him as he was a rookie and they didnt do it at the start if the season. He is going to be a first line player in Ottawa id like to see him dominate the AHL for a full season on a very good team. To win and build good habits. Bellevilles lack of production was directly tied to Bathersons... Thus him struggling down the stretch was incredibly crucial in their success and making the playoffs.

Why rush the process with Batherson when the team is in the current state its in? Thats all I am saying, same with Brannstrom.

You know, I've been deadset on Batherson making the team out of camp, but you've partially convinced me. Partially. I wouldn't mind seeing him start the year down there, show he can really dominate at that level, and then bring him up mid-season.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
You know, I've been deadset on Batherson making the team out of camp, but you've partially convinced me. Partially. I wouldn't mind seeing him start the year down there, show he can really dominate at that level, and then bring him up mid-season.

I was thinking the same thing, once they start trading players because they are out of contention it would be a good time for him to come up. Kind of like Nylander in Toronto. If the sens were going to be competing for a playoff spot and he shows in camp that he is ready I would have no problem with him making the team. However the sens aren't in that position at the moment, this is a burn year given the circumstances I dont see the harm in him starting in Belleville. The other side of it is someone else is going to get his icetime at the NHL level which could mean higher production and a better return on trading the player.

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
Beyond all the angles presented I would like the decisions to be made on ice at camp.

If Batherson/Branstrom top the team in scoring and are playing well let him stick. If they get exposed once the season starts send them/one down. 10 games at the start of the season won’t disrupt any development.

I don’t expect EB to outplay CW at camp but if he does he should be rewarded for it. If Brown outplays Batherson I hope he would make it.

Last edited:

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
I was thinking the same thing, once they start trading players because they are out of contention it would be a good time for him to come up. Kind of like Nylander in Toronto. If the sens were going to be competing for a playoff spot and he shows in camp that he is ready I would have no problem with him making the team. However the sens aren't in that position at the moment, this is a burn year given the circumstances I dont see the harm in him starting in Belleville. The other side of it is someone else is going to get his icetime at the NHL level which could mean higher production and a better return on trading the player.

You know, I think pretty highly of our drafting and development staff. I don’t think we’ll see Bath unless they think he’s ready, or they feel that he needs to learn something.

If he has a solid camp he could start the season with the squad and then be sent down to work on things if he struggles.

The nice thing about having picked up all of these vet bodies is that we don’t NEED to bring up any kids if we don’t want to. We may suck next year, but no rookie gets handed an NHL spot without having earned it.

The one thing about character vets is that it’s not always so easy for a kid to beat them out for a roster spot. The kids will have to bust ass to make the team, and when the core is built around guys who are close and have a tone of work ethic, and many of the vets we added are known to be workhorses and consummate pros, it sets a standard for the kids, no matter how low we are in the standings.

Bath will need to step up big time if he wants to make the NHL squad, and consistency will be his biggest adversary.

Tkachuk27

Nov 30, 2011
Balcers already showed for extended periods last year that he's ready to be an NHL-player.

Batherson showed glimpses, but as others have said, there's not much left to prove for him at the AHL level. Ok, he had some struggles late in the year with the grind of a full pro season, that sounds to me more like something to be rectified through off-season conditioning and just going through it and gaining the experience, and he can do that in the NHL. I fully expect him in the NHL this season, and would honestly be very surprised if he's not.

I'd like to see Brown and Chabot stay down and stew some more, but I would also like to see them each get 10-30 games experience at the NHL level.

I have no doubt Balcers can play in the NHL but with the amount of talent in Norris Batherson Paul Brown Chlapik Formenton Brannstrom Lajoie Gustavsson Hobs etc I say let them all spend a season down there and try to win a Championship

Let Ottawa tank for Alexis Lafrenière

OD99

Oct 13, 2012

I think there is some merit here but also very harsh. Batherson was up and down and had a skills and All-Star game thrown in as well as some turnover on the Belleville team as well.

His drop in production was severe but without watching all the games I can't just blame him. The B Sens put all they had in to the final run and ultimately came up short...but as a first year pro Batherson proved he deserves a chance to start in the NHL and fight to keep the job.

I would be shocked if he doesnt show up at camp stronger, faster and more determined than ever.

Brannstrom is more of a wild card for me given our depth on D and my lack of exposure to his game but if he has the desire I won't be shocked to see him show up ready to force his way on big club either.

Reactions: Ice-Tray

SensontheRush

Never said it was Sunshine
Apr 27, 2010
Ottawa
I'm gonna have to disagree with you both here. To think 0.5 p/g is that impressive and shows he has nothing left to prove would be ridiculous.

But on the other hand, that is a small sample size, and over the course of the season he showed that he's already one of the better offensive players in the AHL.

Batherson was a part of 7/20 (roughly a third) point gaining opportunities. If Belleville average 3 goals a game, instead of less than 2, he would be greater than ppg in that time frame.

It's weird to single out one player when clearly the whole team dried up.

MatchesMalone

Aug 29, 2010
Batherson was a part of 7/20 (roughly a third) point gaining opportunities. If Belleville average 3 goals a game, instead of less than 2, he would be greater than ppg in that time frame.

It's weird to single out one player when clearly the whole team dried up.

You don't suppose the team's best offensive player struggling had something to do with the team struggles though?

LeProspector

AINEC
Feb 14, 2017
I’d be shocked if Batherson doesn’t make the squad out of camp.
As for Brannstrom, I think he’ll get the Chabot treatment. Where he starts out down in Belleville but quickly proves he’s too good for AHL hockey and Ottawa will be forced to bring him up around Late November/December.

MatchesMalone

Aug 29, 2010

Ok, so we have two alternate, but non-competing theories for Batherson's drop-off. Non-competing in that they don't contradict eachother and could both be true, but if one is more the case than the other, it would differently effect Batherson's development plan.

My theory was that it was wear-and-tear from the grind of his first full pro season. If that is the case then the solution is off-season conditioning, self-maintenance, and just going through it, gaining the experience, and learning to play through the aches and pains and show up every day like a consummate professional. If that is the case, then there's no reason for him to be in the AHL next year.

Your theory is that early in the year he wasn't opponents' primary target for gameplanning or linematching against and so ran rampant offensively, but as the year wore on he gradually became opponents' primary target. If this is the case, then indeed he should be back in the AHL to start the season, and should stay there until and only until he shows that he can be that primary target and still dominate against the top opponents and coaching strategies at that level.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
Ok, so we have two alternate, but non-competing theories for Batherson's drop-off. Non-competing in that they don't contradict eachother and could both be true, but if one is more the case than the other, it would differently effect Batherson's development plan.

My theory was that it was wear-and-tear from the grind of his first full pro season. If that is the case then the solution is off-season conditioning, self-maintenance, and just going through it, gaining the experience, and learning to play through the aches and pains and show up every day like a consummate professional. If that is the case, then there's no reason for him to be in the AHL next year.

Your theory is that early in the year he wasn't opponents' primary target for gameplanning or linematching against and so ran rampant offensively, but as the year wore on he gradually became opponents' primary target. If this is the case, then indeed he should be back in the AHL to start the season, and should stay there until and only until he shows that he can be that primary target and still dominate against the top opponents and coaching strategies at that level.

Mann's theory is that Logan Brown was the straw that stirred the drink during their solid two month run. He then had a little injury and didn't get back to that dominating level. Sure batherson fell off pace but to what extent was that a result of Brown.

But at the end of the day, Batherson posted 71 points in his rookie pro season. Glad we have him in a Sens Jersey.

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
I recall hearing that Brown was the best forward down the stretch.

Batherson has already shown he was ready for the NHL. He was shredding the AHL with multi point games including the 7 point game at the time of his callup.

He came up and looked OK but stalled after a few games. He deserved to be called up and he deserved to be sent back down. I suspect the same will happen this year. If he shows he is NHL ready he will be up and if he shows he isn’t he will be down. I hope the same goes for Brown, EB, Formenton, and Norris.

I wish EM would keep a full size roster. There should be no pressure to give our vets every game.

Beukeboom Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Chicago, IL
Visit site
I have no doubt Balcers can play in the NHL but with the amount of talent in Norris Batherson Paul Brown Chlapik Formenton Brannstrom Lajoie Gustavsson Hobs etc I say let them all spend a season down there and try to win a Championship

Let Ottawa tank for Alexis Lafrenière

Do you think that Batherson is the difference between have OTT tank or not? I really like him as a player, and can see if you want to keep him away from a dumpster fire, but with him or without him who is close to the Sens roster wise from a tanking perspective?

Tkachuk27

Nov 30, 2011
Do you think that Batherson is the difference between have OTT tank or not? I really like him as a player, and can see if you want to keep him away from a dumpster fire, but with him or without him who is close to the Sens roster wise from a tanking perspective?

Of course he doesn't move the needle from a tanking perspective but big picture I don't want Batherson or any of our young prospects anywhere close to a tanking season.

Let them grow and win together in Belleville

Reactions: TkachukNorris79

TkachukNorris79

Jan 27, 2018
Of course he doesn't move the needle from a tanking perspective but big picture I don't want Batherson or any of our young prospects anywhere close to a tanking season.

Let them grow and win together in Belleville
I totally agree. But Drake will be in Ottawa the entire year. He has the potential to get some more bums in the seats at the CTC. Eugene isn't going to waste that by leaving him in Belleville.

I'd rather him gain more chemistry with Brown and maybe Balcers/Abramov/Formenton, and create a winning culture among the prospects in Belleville. We could then add 4 or 5 of those prospects to the roster full time (Brown, Batherson, Balcers, Brannstrom, Formenton) while also adding our top 4 pick in 2020.

But Eugene needs the dollars. So he'll probably be a part of a really bad team this year in a losing culture :help:

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
I totally agree. But Drake will be in Ottawa the entire year. He has the potential to get some more bums in the seats at the CTC. Eugene isn't going to waste that by leaving him in Belleville.

I'd rather him gain more chemistry with Brown and maybe Balcers/Abramov/Formenton, and create a winning culture among the prospects in Belleville. We could then add 4 or 5 of those prospects to the roster full time (Brown, Batherson, Balcers, Brannstrom, Formenton) while also adding our top 4 pick in 2020.

But Eugene needs the dollars. So he'll probably be a part of a really bad team this year in a losing culture :help:

It's like a no win situation for the team with some folks here

If Batherson makes the team its just to sell tickets. Batherson posted 71 points in his first pro season and was above ppg over a long sample size in the A. If he makes the team it's imo because it is warranted.

These prospects are going to be added to the nhl roster slowly. 2 at a time kind of thing. Add two. Let them show they belong. And another. Keep moving forward. A guy like Ennis is here so we can do that.

There's no way they are all held back so that they can dominate the AHL and then all brought up together. I can't recall an AHL team's top 4 or 5 forwards cracking an NHL roster at the same time out of training camp

Reactions: Deku and Ice-Tray

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
It's like a no win situation for the team with some folks here

If Batherson makes the team its just to sell tickets. Batherson posted 71 points in his first pro season and was above ppg over a long sample size in the A. If he makes the team it's imo because it is warranted.

These prospects are going to be added to the nhl roster slowly. 2 at a time kind of thing. Add two. Let them show they belong. And another. Keep moving forward. A guy like Ennis is here so we can do that.

There's no way they are all held back so that they can dominate the AHL and then all brought up together. I can't recall an AHL team's top 4 or 5 forwards cracking an NHL roster at the same time out of training camp

Bang on, we need a couple more kids to be TC, and BT this year, as in two more kids graduating. This camp is probably going to be the most competitive we’ll have seen in a while.

Also, you can’t really keep kids that are clearly ready for a crack at the NHL in the AHL for those kinds of reasons.

The Sens May look like a ‘dumpster fire’ to some fans, but to the kids in Belleville it’s the fulfillment of a lifelong dream, and you can bet those kids are dying to make it, try and make a difference, and to place with TC and BT.

Souring the relationship between our youngsters and the organization is exactly what we don’t want. All of the prospects need to feel like they are being developed properly, and being treated fairly by the team. More than fairly, but as an important part of the future.

In my opinion you don’t mess with that just to play roster games.

Plus the kids want that NHL money, and keeping them down for any reason other than what’s best for development, and a reflection of their current skill is problematic.

My 2 cents.

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
Many of our prospects are D2–>D4. It is time for some to show and prove they can take a step. Graduate the ones that can.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad