News Article: Where Do the Senators’ Brännström and Batherson Fit in 2019-20?

toxic poster

Dec 24, 2017
Queen's
I actually think the same thing should happen with Batherson, I want to see him dominate the AHL like last year before he comes up. Never hurts a prospect to stay in the AHL compared to brining him up early to the NHL.
batherson has nothing left to prove in the AHL.

Pierre from Orleans

May 9, 2007
Why are you focusing on AHL games to determine whether a guy with 4 years pro experience is NHL ready? Was Aho NHL ready with his 0 AHL games? Pettersson with his 0 AHL games? How about DeBrincat and his 0 AHL games? How about Tkachuk (you can pick which one) with their 0 AHL games? Larkin had 6 AHL games when he started his career, was he not NHL ready? Or does it have to be a Dman, how about Will Butcher and his 0 AHL games? Heiskanen and his 0 AHL games? McAvoy and his 4 AHL games? Slavin and his 14 AHL games? Klingberg and his 14 AHL games? Parayko and his 22 AHL games? Werenski and his 24 AHL games?

Maybe instead of focusing on the number of games he’s played (which btw if you look at all his pro experience instead of just the NA leagues, is likely more than anybody on the above list, though I haven’t double checked), we can judge his NHL readiness based on how he’s performed in those games, which so far has been very promising, and avoid useless tropes like Lazar’ing players which add nothing meaningful.
Lazar'ing players is one of the dumbest things I've heard

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
And the end of the day, I want the Sens to do whatever is best for the kids to have the best chance at a long and productive NHL career. Whether it's in Belleville, Ottawa, or the dark side of the moon, it doesn't matter.

Now that said, I think Batherson has a great chance to be in Ottawa all year. He was preetty good during his NHL games last year, and if he comes in a bit stronger and more confident, he should stick.

Brannstrom is a mystery. I haven't paid attention to this kid...yet. So many roster changes and dramarama around the organization last year, it was too hard to keep up with all of it.

I don’t think Brannstrom is fully developed at this time and given his small build will need to be ready to play man-hockey in the NHL. Wolanin is ready for that.

Batherson is close to making the Ottawa Senators but will have to have a good training camp. Same can be said for all of the younger prospects including L. Brown, Norris, Abramov, Formenton, Veronneau, etc. I suspect Balcers and Davidson may be ahead of them.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
If Batherson plays with Tkachuk and White they aren't going to considered the 2nd line. Who would they be playing "behind"? Tierney, Ryan and Duclair? :laugh:
Yea, the three more experienced guys ... pathetic isn't it?

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
Yea, the three more experienced guys ... pathetic isn't it?

Ah yes, experience as the trump card. I guess we should see Boedker, Pageau and Ennis play above the rookies as well.

Tkachuk and White are the two best forwards on this team, and it isn't particularly close, imo. If those two play together, that's the top line, no matter who lines up at RW.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
batherson has nothing left to prove in the AHL.
Actually he went on a massive slump when the team needed him most down the stretch. They subsequently missed the playoffs, seems like plenty to prove to me. Also whats to gain by having him in the NHL for this organization right now? Experience a losing culture? Getting tough matchups he may or may not be ready for? When the team is actively trying to get worse and be bad?

Emrasie

Mar 13, 2019
Brannstrom in his 1rst year in AHL with Chicago was selected as a All Star, like Batherson.
Last year if McPhee is not a overcooking young gun's type of GM Erik would have begun the season with Vegas. He was the best D in pre season.

You can let him in AHL but to progress he needs to play against better players, in his case especially (i think) stronger the adversity will be, faster he will progress. But i suppose that if the idea is to tank yes let him with Belleville.

+ the risk is, having watched Chicago in AHL last year, at one point he was a target because of his style of play and his importance on the PP, in this league it can play nasty and he suffered a concussion after a dirty hit.

supsens

Oct 6, 2013
Ah yes, experience as the trump card. I guess we should see Boedker, Pageau and Ennis play above the rookies as well.

Tkachuk and White are the two best forwards on this team, and it isn't particularly close, imo. If those two play together, that's the top line, no matter who lines up at RW.

An entire team of rookies being thrown to the sharks is not the best plan

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.PIERRE★
Jul 26, 2005
IMO, Brannstrom and Wolanin are fighting for the same spot on the roster. Both are two-way and waiver exempt. I wouldn't be surprised to see them both swap NHL/AHL spots with eachother a couple times throughout the season.

Chabot-DeMelo
Brannstrom/Wolanin-Zaitsev
Hainsey-Jaros
Boro

TkachukNorris79

Jan 27, 2018
I think they'll both be with the big club to start. 7 of the sens first 11 games are at home. They'll need some butts in the seats. I might actually go if I get to watch a couple more future stars. I'm sure I'm not alone on that one.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004

Sadly, you may be right.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013

Boedker could likely do a decent job of knocking down a peg or two.

toxic poster

Dec 24, 2017
Queen's
Actually he went on a massive slump when the team needed him most down the stretch. They subsequently missed the playoffs, seems like plenty to prove to me. Also whats to gain by having him in the NHL for this organization right now? Experience a losing culture? Getting tough matchups he may or may not be ready for? When the team is actively trying to get worse and be bad?
fatigue of a longer season, travel b/w nhl & ahl for a bit there are all relatively good excuses. he had a 9 game scoreless streak at the start of 2019 - not 'down the stretch'. his longest scoreless streak near the end of season was 3 games so get out of here with your revisionist bs

TheAHL.com < source

Reactions: JD1

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
fatigue of a longer season, travel b/w nhl & ahl for a bit there are all relatively good excuses. he had a 9 game scoreless streak at the start of 2019 - not 'down the stretch'. his longest scoreless streak near the end of season was 3 games so get out of here with your revisionist bs

TheAHL.com < source
1 goals and 7 points in his last 13 games. Thanks for helping me prove my point.

Reactions: Sens

SensontheRush

Never said it was Sunshine
Apr 27, 2010
Ottawa
1 goals and 7 points in his last 13 games. Thanks for helping me prove my point.

So better than .50 points per game? Thanks for unproving your point.

Also, in the last 11 games of the season, Belleville averaged less than 2 goals per game.

MatchesMalone

Formerly Innocent Bystander
Aug 29, 2010
Leave them both in Belleville same goes for Brown maybe even Balcers

Balcers already showed for extended periods last year that he's ready to be an NHL-player.

Batherson showed glimpses, but as others have said, there's not much left to prove for him at the AHL level. Ok, he had some struggles late in the year with the grind of a full pro season, that sounds to me more like something to be rectified through off-season conditioning and just going through it and gaining the experience, and he can do that in the NHL. I fully expect him in the NHL this season, and would honestly be very surprised if he's not.

I'd like to see Brown and Chabot stay down and stew some more, but I would also like to see them each get 10-30 games experience at the NHL level.

Reactions: derriko

MatchesMalone

Formerly Innocent Bystander
Aug 29, 2010
So better than .50 points per game? Thanks for unproving your point.

Also, in the last 11 games of the season, Belleville averaged less than 2 goals per game.

I'm gonna have to disagree with you both here. To think 0.5 p/g is that impressive and shows he has nothing left to prove would be ridiculous.

But on the other hand, that is a small sample size, and over the course of the season he showed that he's already one of the better offensive players in the AHL.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad