Where can I show support to the owners?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Licentia

Jun 29, 2004
Other Dave said:
So if they are brutal acquisitions, as signings of this kind most usually are, then what do we care what kind of money they make?

2)Those signings hurt the other teams because in the current CBA a signing like that has a ripple effect throughout the league and other teams, including small market clubs, are forced to invrease their offers to other UFAs and their own RFAs.

UFA signings have 0 effect on RFA money. This is currently hardwired into the CBA.

But we're talking about specific players. In your opinion, how did the Holik and Turgeon signing effect other, specific salaries?

You are, unfortunately, completely mistaken. Calgary is paying Iginla 7.5 million because he brings that value to the table, and because he would probably be worth that in arbitration. OTHER RFA's help to set the value of an RFA, but a UFA doesn't.

Could Calgary sign Niklas Lidstrom to his $10 million dollar contract and keep Iginla? Never!!!!! Detroit could afford to keep both. That's the problem!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:

Go Flames Go*

Harley Hothchkiss is a cute owner, he will murk any one of thoose stupid owners(Detroit, New York, Toronto) if they speak any of that ******** that they have been doing the past 10 years.

The players don't deserve all this money, go flames go. They are in a business to make money, look at McDonalds, they pay like 4.50 an hour, there workers are happy.

Licentia

Jun 29, 2004
Chelios said:
Do you think they just pick these salaries out of a hat? Market value is determined by what other similar players are making. I used the example of Iginla because IMO it is rediculous, even as good as Iginla is, that a 27 year old RFA is making that kind of money. That is the sign of a broken system that needs to be fixed.

You say that other RFAs set the value for RFAs. Well those "other" RFAs as you call them have to determine their value as well and they do that by comparing themselves to other players, UFA or not.

RFA's do have leverage too, unlike what people think. They can sit out the season if they don't like what they are offered.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
ohiohabsfan said:
I'm not an "NHLPA" fan, but it grates on me to hear Bettman talking about how the salary structure is out of whack when the owners are paying the salaries. If you don't want to sign Bobby Holik for 8 million, or Pavel Bure for 10 million, then don't.

That being said, the players bear responsibility for the current problem too.

The problem wasn't caused by the players (though they helped in their own ways). The owners screwed up and now they want to set things back onto a normal course.

The standard pro-player argument is, "the owners stuffed up, the owners can fix it, and since its not our fault we refuse suffer". The only way to "fix it" is to significantly lower salaries. The players refuse to significantly lower salaries. If someone can come up with a way of lowering team payroll with reducing the rosters or lowering indivuals contracts I'm sure the owners would love to hear.

They say the market sets a fair value. If the NHL owners got together and decided players salary were double the realistic value and then offer every player 50% of their current contract at next renewal they would be correcting the problem. Can you imagine the squeal and cries of collusion. The players don't want real corrections (can't blame them either, money is addictive).

The players don't want the NHL to fix the problems. My grievance with the players is that they are obstinantly & actively resisting the logical correction.

Last edited:

Licentia

Jun 29, 2004
me2 said:
The problem wasn't caused by the players (though they helped in their own ways). The owners screwed up and now they want to set things back onto a normal course.

The standard pro-player argument is, "the owners stuffed up, the owners can fix it, and since its not our fault we refuse suffer". The only way to "fix it" is to significantly lower salaries. The players refuse to significantly lower salaries. If someone can come up with a way of lowering team payroll with reducing the rosters or lowering indivuals contracts I'm sure the owners would love to hear.

They say the market sets a fair value. If the NHL owners got together and decided players salary were double the realistic value and then offer every player 50% of their current contract at next renewal they would be correcting the problem. Can you imagine the squeal and cries of collusion. The players don't want real corrections (can't blame them either, money is addictive).

The players don't want the NHL to fix the problems. My grievance with the players is that they are obstinantly & actively resisting the logical correction.

Fantastic Response! :bow:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->