Where are the Russian coaches?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Right up front I'll mention that I don't actively follow a lot of the Russian Super League stats, so if I'm off on this, don't bite my head off.

I happened to be glancing through all the players in the WCs this year and was very surprised, hell I was shocked, that Viktor Tikhonov of all people was the coach of the Russian team. Knowing how much players love to play for Tikhonov it was no real shock to see Russia fade to black pretty early in the tournament.

Which leads to my question. The NHLPA and the Russian players playing in the NHL view Tikhonov as the second-coming of Josef Stalin and would never, ever play for him again. As such there is no way he will be behind the Russian bench come World Cup time. It would be logical to give a younger coach a chance to see the styles of the various countries at the WCs before getting ready for the World Cup in the fall. So why didn't it happen?

The Russians continue to produce incredibly talented prospects so there have to be some good coaches in Russia so where are they? And why weren't they in Prague?

wilka91*

May 5, 2004
It's very simple.

Alexander Steblin, the president of the Russian hockey federation, has a stick in his a**.

He's just an idiot who can't sit down for 5 minutes and "think" with his brain. Right now he's not thinking with his brain, but is using his "soviet" arrogance. He's just a typical bureaucrat of the times of the USSR ... it explains everything.

But 2 days ago Steblin already told the press (in Sovetsky Sport) that Tikhnov will either retire or will be forced into retirement by the federation.

The question is : who is going to replace him?

Right now the Russian press (Sovetsky Sport & Gazeta.ru) are reporting that the federation is getting in touch with Boris Mikhailov who already coached the Russian team at the 1996 World Cup. But it would be surprising to see him behind the bench this summer because they players hate him almost as much as Tikhonov after he continually insulted his players in 1996. Like the incident with Malakhov, when Vladimir simply refused to go on the ice when the coach told him to.

This sucks!!!

I hope Fetisov will take over and give the job to Larionov! Period!

But they better decide something quick because they have no GM yet whereas they have to nominate 18 players in the upcoming couple of weeks. That's crazy!!!

wilka91*

May 5, 2004
You have to realize that Russia has been a democratic country for only what, 13 years? This means we'll have to wait at least 10 more years to see "modern" people like Larionov, Fetisov and Kasatonov at the head of the federation.

Unfortunately the federation's policy is not to put the most successful coach of its National league behind the bench like in Canada or the US. They have plenty of coaches in the Superleague, but no one wants them now. As you can see, they preferred 74-year Tikhonov who hasn't had any success since the fall of communism ...

they're just stupid

:banghead:

wilka91 said:
You have to realize that Russia has been a democratic country for only what, 13 years? This means we'll have to wait at least 10 more years to see "modern" people like Larionov, Fetisov and Kasatonov at the head of the federation.

Unfortunately the federation's policy is not to put the most successful coach of its National league behind the bench like in Canada or the US. They have plenty of coaches in the Superleague, but no one wants them now. As you can see, they preferred 74-year Tikhonov who hasn't had any success since the fall of communism ...

they're just stupid

:banghead:

Yeesh. Well, here's hoping Fetisov can clean this up quickly and return the Russian hockey program to the elite level it once had. Better competition equals better hockey for all too watch.

Thanks for the info BTW. :thumbu:

canucks666

Mar 13, 2004
Vancouver
alll the people in charge in russia grew up and became powerful during the soviet system

that's what they're used to

not to mention that russian egos legendary.

If it didn't get in teh way of what larionov was trying to do, he would've lined up larry robinson as the coach for the russian team and it would've been AWESOME. Alas.

Furthermore - russians like Fedorov and Zherdev would've REALLY helped the team at the tournament. Alas again - tikhonov would never allow a "deserter" to play on his team. So that's out. Guys like mogilny too - if they were available.

wilka91*

May 5, 2004
Dude, Tikhonov is not the Russian coach anymore. I should make some thread about it I think in order to let everyone know about that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad