Where are the next Forsbergs, Selannes. NOWHERE!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

hfboardsuser

Nov 18, 2004
Man, I still can't believe I bought into the Somervuori hype... I actually took the guy in a fantasy league, expecting him to live up to THN's bold prediction.

I still have a soft spot for him... I swapped the Lightning a 4th rounder for him in 2K5, and he's got 6 points in 4 games... AHL games...

PockIsGoD

Apr 16, 2004
Sherbrooke, QC
kmad said:
Ruutu is already better than Koivu.

And I'd bet you anything that if Ruutu played ten years to the left of Gretzky, he'd have over 1000 points too.

Ruutu better than Koivu? He has more skills and will probably better than Saks one day, but right now Koivu is STILL the Finish leader and the Finish best player and he proved it again at the World Cup. Ruutu is not in Koivu's class right now, but it will certainly come quickly because Tuomo is trully a superstar in the making!

kmad

riot survivor
Jun 16, 2003
Vancouver
He had a poor start to his rookie season, but Ruutu is a more complete player than Koivu already. He lacks the NHL maturity that Koivu has (takes some dumb charging penalties), but in terms of skill set, Ruutu is head and shoulders above Koivu - even so with poor linemates.

Not to mention, Ruutu is also a lot more fun to watch. He's definitely my favorite rookie from last season, and him along with Ovechkin and Volchenkov are my favorite young players.

bruins4777*

Finland's prospects are amazing. Their goaltending is outstanding, the next quebec, and their forwards and defensemen are great as well. Finland is going to be a top 3 hockey nation in the future. Finland players are like european canadians. They just don't stop working.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Koivu, Ruutu, and Sjostrom all went in the first round of '01. Lehtonen, Pitkanen, Niiinimaki, Bergenheim, Steen, Johansson, and Toivonen were all in the top 30 of '02. 2003 was a weak year for both countries with only Nilsson going in day one. Last year's first round had Tukonen, Nokelainen, and Korpikoski. This year guys like Rask, Bergfors, Laakso, Korhonen, and Lehtonen are being fairly highly touted. 2006 may see Jesse Joensuu go top 5, and the Rangers signed a kid named Thomas Pock last season that could be pretty good.

Pepper

Aug 30, 2004
komisakick ass said:
all I have to say is :eek: :eek: :eek:
tell me what Ruutu can do that Koivu Can't

Crush people for instance.

But I agree, Ruutu isn't better than Koivu at the moment, he might very well be in the next 2-3 years but not yet.

I like the finnish system, while we lack pure snipers like Selänne, we're producing big, mobile, skilled and tough players who can play two-way game very well. Sutteresque-players in other words.

mattihp

Aug 2, 2004
Uppsala, Sweden
komisakick ass said:
agree

cause if Ruutu is better than Koivu, that mean he is the better finnish player.
I don't think so

Koivu and Jokinen are better

(I talk about Saku, Olli and Tuomo)
This finnish have big family
Just to let you know, the Jussi Jokinen of the stars' isn't related to Olli ;9

jekoh

Jun 8, 2004
kmad said:
Note: Lidstrom was never highly touted as a top-end defenseman until AFTER he was drafted.
Also, Daniel Sedin, supposedly a "bust", scored 54 points last season. At the same age, and with the same team, Näslund scored only 41 (1997). Now I understand you can't judge who's better on points alone, but isn't Näslund supposed to be the all-offense one.

Fozz

Aug 1, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
TML said:
... or Joni Pitkanen, Henrik Zetterberg, Alex Steen, Niklas Bergfors, Loui Eriksson, or Kari Lehtonen...

What exactly are Steen, Bergfors and Eriksson doing on that list? They haven't even played a single NHL game and you compare them to Forsberg and Selanne? :shakehead

Legionnaire

Help On The Way
Jul 10, 2002
LA-LA Land
Fozz said:
What exactly are Steen, Bergfors and Eriksson doing on that list? They haven't even played a single NHL game and you compare them to Forsberg and Selanne? :shakehead

I think the point was to show that there is young, quality Finnish and Swedish talent up and coming. They may not be Forsbergs or Selannes yet, and may never, but they do have potential to be great players in the NHL

Robertsson 4-ever

Jan 26, 2004
Wexio
rt said:
Koivu, Ruutu, and Sjostrom all went in the first round of '01. Lehtonen, Pitkanen, Niiinimaki, Bergenheim, Steen, Johansson, and Toivonen were all in the top 30 of '02. 2003 was a weak year for both countries with only Nilsson going in day one. Last year's first round had Tukonen, Nokelainen, and Korpikoski. This year guys like Rask, Bergfors, Laakso, Korhonen, and Lehtonen are being fairly highly touted. 2006 may see Jesse Joensuu go top 5, and the Rangers signed a kid named Thomas Pock last season that could be pretty good.

A little note: Thomas Pöck is from Austria. ;) :)

Fozz

Aug 1, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
Legionnaire said:
I think the point was to show that there is young, quality Finnish and Swedish talent up and coming. They may not be Forsbergs or Selannes yet, and may never, but they do have potential to be great players in the NHL

They're also the possibility that they will be duds or very ordinary players in the NHL.

TORRUS

May 31, 2004
Beli
rivercanyon said:
Yup. There was a player born 89 in Ã…ngermanland named Josip Pavic who was really talented. He ended up choosing soccer :( We loose to many talents :shakehead

But at least we have Dragan Umicevic who is KICKING MAJOR ASS now in SEL. So hopefully he´ll be a NHL-star(like jokinen says) and becomes a major influence for immigrants to play hockey. Just like Zlatan is in soccer.

:lol
Ha, ha! It is so funny to see that all the good prospects or allready proven stars (Ibrahimovic the traitor) are from Croatia/Serbia/Bosnia! You maybe loose to many talents, but we export too many talents! The world needs us for the sake of sport...

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
"Where is the next Forsberg&Sundin?"

Sweden has never really produced these kind of players on a regular basis. In the late 70ies early 80´s it where Ulf Nilsson& Anders hedberg after that Kent Nilsson& Håkan Loob and then Peter Forsberg&Mats Sundin. These kind of players only comes out of sweden every 7-10 years. However the top 1-2 players to come out of Sweden every decade has become better then their precursors. So stay tuned because the next big talent that comes out of sweden will be the next one. ;)

mattihp

Aug 2, 2004
Uppsala, Sweden
rt said:
:dunce: Yeah, I guess there's probably not too many kids named Thomas in either of those two countries. Oh well, I tried. :dunce:
There's lots of kids named Thomas, Tuomas and Tomas in Finland and Sweden ^^

Vlad The Impaler

Feb 27, 2002
Montreal
komisakick ass said:
all I have to say is :eek: :eek: :eek:
tell me what Ruutu can do that Koivu Can't

Are you kidding?

He can score some freaking goals, for starter. In his rookie season, Ruutu has already scored more goals in a season than Koivu ever has in 8 or 9 years.

His physical game is at another level, very far above Koivu.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->