Where are the difference makers?

SportsballChic

Jun 18, 2013
Toronto
I agree with you. That's why I wrote that the young guys won't mature fast enough for Zetterburg and Datsyuk. That's why to win with the current core of Red Wings, the Wings organization needs to go outside the organization for a little boost in talent.

If the right guy is there, at the right price; absolutely. But if you blow wads of dough on the wrong player you just clog up the pipeline.

I don't think the Wings are a horrible team with the roster as is; yes I'd like a Clarkson type player but we're not Tampa without one. What scares me most is we go out and spend oodles on a has been name like Jerome Iginla and then we lose Tatar and Nyquist inside of 2.

I guess all I'm saying is "chiiiiiiill Winston", 2013-14 looks pretty good *right now* (to me at least). :)

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
Ericsson isn't a third liner playing a first pairing role, show the guy some respect. He is even basically a lock to make the Swedish Olympic team at this point, it is time we appreciate what he is becoming, plus he has been better than his band of haters have said for two plus seasons now.

Ericsson is by no means a lock.

OEL
Karlsson
Edler
Kronwall
Hjalmarsson
Brodin
Hedman

And Enström could still be added, I think.

who the hell is Tinky Winky?

Riley Sheahan.

TheOtherOne

Jan 2, 2010
What the hell is a "difference maker"? It's just a meaningless term that anyone can argue to mean whatever they want. Everyone on the team is a difference maker. No one on the team is a difference maker. You can't argue with it because it's meaningless.

The current team could not get past the 2nd round of the playoffs, and next season's team is unlikely to fare better unless the Wings increase the level of their talent.

We were literally 1 single overtime goal away from advancing to the WCF, past seed numbers 1 and 2. And how is an extra year of experience for Smith, Kindl, Dekeyser, Nyquist, Tatar, Andersson, Emmerton, et al. not going to improve our team?

SoupNazi

Serenity now. Insanity later.
Feb 6, 2010
who the hell is Tinky Winky?

Riley Sheahan.

riley_20121128140755_640_480.JPG

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Ericsson is by no means a lock.

OEL
Karlsson
Edler
Kronwall
Hjalmarsson
Brodin
Hedman

And Enström could still be added, I think.

Riley Sheahan.

Not really when you read the Swedish media on the subject, he really is their best pure stay at home option. He also played as Karlsson's partner in the WC a couple years ago and spends all season paired with Kronwall. So he checks off with two of the guns you expect to see in Sochi. Hjalmarsson's decent bounce back this year is interesting, but I don't think it knocks Ericsson out. I will be curious to see what they do with Brodin though, I think he should be on, we shall see.

RedWingsNow*

The growth will come from inside. It's hard to believe in it, but that's what happens in great coached groups. The whole defence is young and developing. Smith, Kindl, DeKeyser, Ericsson, Quincey. And that Calder Cup 1st line Nyquist, Andersson, Tatar + Brunner with more experience in future seasons will deepen the offensive corps.

Also one TOP6 UFA outsider is on the wishlist.

These small factors together will make big things.

What the hell does coaching have to do with draft picks?:shakehead

Count me as someone who has liked Ken Holland's picks --
but perhaps it's easy to like prospects when it takes 5-6 years before they ever get a look at the NHL.-

DatsDeking

Jun 25, 2013
The realignment has me worried about taking a playoff spot. We've got a hot Boston team, Toronto, and a growing Sens team to deal with. Not to mention dealing with a new set of teams and playing styles.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
The realignment has me worried about taking a playoff spot. We've got a hot Boston team, Toronto, and a growing Sens team to deal with. Not to mention dealing with a new set of teams and playing styles.

I don't worry a bit. We will hit pretty easily in and make a push to win the division. Boston will be weaker team at next season because their cap hell and they are the only team I could see better than us.

FlashyG

Dec 15, 2011
Toronto
Tatar isn't going to be much worse, although I dunno how long we can keep him. He's made it clear he wants top 6 minutes very soon or he's gone.

I could be wrong (often am) but I recall Tatar saying only that he wouldn't sign another 2 way deal, not anything about where he should play in the line-up.

SportsballChic

Jun 18, 2013
Toronto
I could be wrong (often am) but I recall Tatar saying only that he wouldn't sign another 2 way deal, not anything about where he should play in the line-up.

Yes, this has occurred in another thread and it's probably just a function of me not explaining my reasoning so here goes:

Tatar said he wanted to be in the NHL not AHL last summer, then again this summer. I can produce the 2nd article but it's not in english. He's a smallish/sniper type. He wants to earn a spot on the olympic roster for his country; which isn't going to happen if he's playing 6 minutes a night on the checking line and he isn't going to be given that role anyways.

So what I should have said is "If Tatar doesn't get a REAL opportunity, if we dick him around ONE more time, I'm pretty sure he's gone".

Just shortcutted that to "top 6 minutes" which is wrong; he'll probably be fine with 3rd line + PP so long as this is a REAL chance to make the NHL and start building his actual career. I believe that if he ends up playing 8 minutes a night with grinders, he'll walk; and that belief is based on what I've stated above.

Probie

Feb 19, 2009
Vancouver Is, Canada
Difference maker=vAnnek....trade

Replace flip with Weiss

Get second line winger via ufa, or third line winger via ufa at worst with some size and some ability on offense

Get one solid right handed dman who can make good passes out of the zone to our forwards and can quarterback our power play. This done via trade

W have the assets and picks now, and too many youngsters graduating in the next three years, some of them should and must be moved.

Holland needs to nut up and do something. Get rid of cleary, emmerton, Quincey, let white and flip walk ( get some pick at the draft for their rights).

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Tvrdon isn't to pleased. TZE was suppost to be the leader of the fan club.

Have no fear my love of Tvrdon still burns strong. Just lost the Avatar and not as computer savvy as some. Hopefully we can get a Griffins one going in a hurry. Does need to stay healthy, hopefully he doesn't start in Toledo, guy has tons of talent.

We might play a huge part on Slovakia's 2018 Olympic team.

Flashy has now fixed my problem! Now if only he can stay healthy.

Last edited:

probertrules24

Jul 10, 2007
Canada
Have no fear my love of Tvrdon still burns strong. Just lost the Avatar and not as computer savvy as some. Hopefully we can get a Griffins one going in a hurry. Does need to stay healthy, hopefully he doesn't start in Toledo, guy has tons of talent.

We might play a huge part on Slovakia's 2018 Olympic team.

Wouldn't be a bad idea to get the Wings board to use Griffin avatars this year in support of the championship.

FlashyG

Dec 15, 2011
Toronto
I think that's a great idea.

I should probably come up with a better style on this one since I whipped these up in seconds, but I just made a replacement for TZE, and edited it to make our newest member her requested Mrazek Av.

faq4qs.gif

vhbzp5.gif

Edit - I'm going to make a bunch of Avatars for the Griffins, I'll make a new thread when their done and people can take them as they wish. Hopefully they'll be done in an hour or so.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Cool shots of Petr in Wings gear, pretty large though.

020713_mrazek2.jpg

20130207_ajl_sr6_202.0_standard_352.0.jpg

Double whammy here, you get him in Wings gear and the awesome family guy "Peter Griffin" meaning.

petr-mrazek-mask.jpg

Could see if we can get Newfy with this one. :laugh:

mcallahan2012.0_standard_352.0.jpg

SportsballChic

Jun 18, 2013
Toronto
I should probably come up with a better style on this one since I whipped these up in seconds, but I just made a replacement for TZE, and edited it to make our newest member her requested Mrazek Av.

faq4qs.gif

vhbzp5.gif

Edit - I'm going to make a bunch of Avatars for the Griffins, I'll make a new thread when their done and people can take them as they wish. Hopefully they'll be done in an hour or so.

Okay, you got me; changing avatars now! :)

It's pretty enough for me, no changes required :)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad