Where are the Danes, French, and Latvians?

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio
There are plenty of Finns on this board, but there are lots of Finns in the NHL. I want to know why we aren’t seeing French hockey fans on this board because of Tex. Where are the Danes because of Bjork? And, most importantly, where are the Latvians? We have 2 Latvian goalies. The coolest hockey fans in the world are Latvians. I want Latvians to come up with a Blue Jackets song. They write awesome songs for Dinamo Riga.

These are my two favorites. There are more Dinamo Riga songs out there.

We really need a European metal song about our cannon.

Reactions: hn777

ThaiTanicDK

Oct 26, 2016
I am a dane and I love Bjørkstrand. He is a beast and I lurk the bluejackets forums.

But I think more danes are fans of Nikolaj Ehlers because he is Ehlers and Frederik Andersen because hes also a beast and a goalie.

And lets be honest, Blue Jackets isnt a well known sport teams in the world. You can say the same about Winnipeg, but Ehlers is just on a whole other level compared to other danish players.

Last edited:

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
My Danish family loves Bjork too but only because I live in Columbus and am a Jackets fan. They don't really follow hockey otherwise, preferring soccer and F1, as do many other Danes. Bjorkstrand himself told me he understands where hockey is in the pecking order for Danish sports fans but hopes the game will continue to grow.

Reactions: Hulide

Nikolajs Sillers

Jan 2, 2021
There are plenty of Finns on this board, but there are lots of Finns in the NHL. I want to know why we aren’t seeing French hockey fans on this board because of Tex. Where are the Danes because of Bjork? And, most importantly, where are the Latvians? We have 2 Latvian goalies. The coolest hockey fans in the world are Latvians. I want Latvians to come up with a Blue Jackets song. They write awesome songs for Dinamo Riga.

These are my two favorites. There are more Dinamo Riga songs out there.

We really need a European metal song about our cannon.

I am in the UK. Most appropriate place for Latvian :laugh:

flyingkiwi

Oct 28, 2014
France
I'm currently living in France. The French aren't here because unlike Finns they tend to lack in the English department. :nod: And also because unfortunately Texier isn't big news outside I'd assume his hometown. I haven't seen any coverage of him at all. I doubt most of the country even knows he exists.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I'm currently living in France. The French aren't here because unlike Finns they tend to lack in the English department. :nod: And also because unfortunately Texier isn't big news outside I'd assume his hometown. I haven't seen any coverage of him at all. I doubt most of the country even knows he exists.

And, to state the obvious, Finns are hockey mad while most French have never followed it in the slightest.

And few Danes follow hockey. It is a big sport in Latvia, and we have a few Latvian posters which is reasonable given the population of the country - a bit smaller than Metro Columbus.

Reactions: Halberdier

flyingkiwi

Oct 28, 2014
France
And, to state the obvious, Finns are hockey mad while the French have never followed it in the slightest.

Danes also rarely follow hockey. It is a big sport in Latvia, and we have a few Latvian posters which is reasonable given the population of the country - a bit smaller than Metro Columbus.

Having said that, I was pleasantly surprised at how many local hockey fans/players there are in my city. I see merch pretty regularly, and before Covid, people with their big gear bags on public transport on the way to practice. Our rink is kind of ass and it's currently closed to the public, but everyone has since hit the riverside paths and outdoor roller rinks. I watched some guys playing a game two days ago. And this is in the southwest. Hockey is definitely a minority sport here but there are fans. I think it's just that the NHL itself is pretty inaccessible, largely due to time zones. It's almost 11pm here now and most games don't start until 1am, or even 4am. I'm a big Jets fan and even I don't get up for it anymore. It's brutal.

So props to all the Finns that do it night after night, you guys are dedicated.

Reactions: Halberdier

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Having said that, I was pleasantly surprised at how many local hockey fans/players there are in my city. I see merch pretty regularly, and before Covid, people with their big gear bags on public transport on the way to practice. Our rink is kind of ass and it's currently closed to the public, but everyone has since hit the riverside paths and outdoor roller rinks. I watched some guys playing a game two days ago. And this is in the southwest. Hockey is definitely a minority sport here but there are fans. I think it's just that the NHL itself is pretty inaccessible, largely due to time zones. It's almost 11pm here now and most games don't start until 1am, or even 4am. I'm a big Jets fan and even I don't get up for it anymore. It's brutal.

So props to all the Finns that do it night after night, you guys are dedicated.

That is interesting to me.

In the States it is a rare sight to see someone taking hockey gear on the bus. I would know because I did it for years and always got funny looks. :D

What city are you in, I'm curious?

flyingkiwi

Oct 28, 2014
France
That is interesting to me.

In the States it is a rare sight to see someone taking hockey gear on the bus. I would know because I did it for years and always got funny looks. :D

What city are you in, I'm curious?

In Europe the public transport networks are great and the streets are tiny, so the more you can avoid doing by your car the better. The things I've seen people bring on transport here... But yeah soooo many people here skate, and roller blades are still cool. Some will wear custom blades to the skatepark and pull off some pretty insane tricks.

And I'd rather not say, sorry. I've already said a bit too much over the years over on the Jets board. :laugh:

QuietContrarian

May 28, 2008
As a Canadian with a Danish mother and a Danish wife, I can say that there are a good few Danes on HF, they just are not as one player mad as the Finns tend to be - I have seen Danish posters on team boards with no Danish players - They often support the team, and not the player.

Most of them stay in the Nordic forums tho.

I am obviously a Jets fan, and I love Ehlers.
But Bjork is also great, and I do keep tabs on him.

If he were at another club, he might have more Danish followers.
My Danish friends do talk about Cbus and Bjork, and how annoyed they are with his utilization (toi).

Hockey is growing in Denmark, but Danes are not aware of Hf. Plus hockey fights with football (refuse to call it soccer) and team handball of which Denmark is very succesfull.

We have a handfull of Danes on the Jets board also.
Both because of Ehlers, but also because it is a more active board.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
As a Canadian with a Danish mother and a Danish wife, I can say that there are a good few Danes on HF, they just are not as one player mad as the Finns tend to be - I have seen Danish posters on team boards with no Danish players - They often support the team, and not the player.

Most of them stay in the Nordic forums tho.

I am obviously a Jets fan, and I love Ehlers.
But Bjork is also great, and I do keep tabs on him.

If he were at another club, he might have more Danish followers.
My Danish friends do talk about Cbus and Bjork, and how annoyed they are with his utilization (toi).

Hockey is growing in Denmark, but Danes are not aware of Hf. Plus hockey fights with football (refuse to call it soccer) and team handball of which Denmark is very succesfull.

We have a handfull of Danes on the Jets board also.
Both because of Ehlers, but also because it is a more active board.

That's been a big sore spot for Jackets fans too, we're often complaining at how Torts underutilizes Bjorkstrand. Best 5v5 player on the team and he just played under 14 minutes!

"Football" by the way, was an umbrella name for a variety of sports played by common people on foot. There's Rugby Football, Association (soccer) Football, American Football, etc... "Soccer" isn't an Americanism, it's used by people around the world to be more specific.

Reactions: QuietContrarian

QuietContrarian

May 28, 2008
That's been a big sore spot for Jackets fans too, we're often complaining at how Torts underutilizes Bjorkstrand. Best 5v5 player on the team and he just played under 14 minutes!

"Football" by the way, was an umbrella name for a variety of sports played by common people on foot. There's Rugby Football, Association (soccer) Football, American Football, etc... "Soccer" isn't an Americanism, it's used by people around the world to be more specific.
Understandable, he is defo underutilized.

I know about the soccer term and it’s use, I lived in Ireland for a short stint, even they call it soccer - Still don’t like it. Only football for me is (soccer) football:laugh::nod:

Bookker

Sep 17, 2010
I'm 100% french, from Paris.
I'm mostly here because of Texier obviously, but I also like Foligno and I follow him a bit since his NHL debuts.
I don't really know why but I like his charisma/mental toughness overall. (I like other players such as Bjorkstrand and Robinson too)

That being said, I'm so pissed the way Tex is used by Torts right now. Like really.
I watched all the games this year, but didn't watch the last 2/3 games. I just can't stand this rubbish style of play anymore (and that awful player management).
I was so happy last year to see that Tex could become a 1st-2nd line NHL player quickly enough with both PP & PK time (which he did well enough in the POs), because he clearly has the skills to do so.
I don't have words if you consider he is a 4th liner now... What a f***** waste.
I hope Torts leaves and we can see a new coach/system where a lot of players of that team can rise again.
Or just trade him, I have no doubt he will succeed elsewhere.

Except that, to answer the question, french people are not here (except 3/4 people) just because there are very few ice hockey fans in France. (except in some cities/areas)
You have a lot of sports ahead in terms of media coverage and popularity (Soccer of course, Rugby, Tennis, Handball, Basketball, Volleyball, Cycling, Biathlon among others...)
Big improvements were made those 5/8 years by the FFHG (French Ice Hockey Federation) but ice hockey is just not in the mainstream sports culture here.

This year we have a decent chance to make it to the Olympic Games though. We should have our NHLers ready (+ Stephane Da Costa who plays in KHL with Voronkov at Bars Kazan, he is an amazing player, who could actually help a lot the CBJ PP
laff.gif
).
I think it will be a really interesting qualifying game against Latvia in August.
popcorn.gif

For ice hockey in France, being (and performing) at the Olympics is the only significant way to make something happen in terms of popularity.
Here are my thoughts, FWIW :sarcasm:

JohnWillow

May 27, 2015
Well well hello to all from Latvian here.

I made an account here in 2015 and have made like 20 posts here, so that means around three per year.

Even though Latvians are not posting here you know it's a big deal back home, especially right now the Blue Jackets (with having two goalies in team). In our local sports website after every game in which Kivi or Elvis have played has minimum 100 posts about it. (I just looked up, after Kivi made his NHL debut at MSG, the post game thread reached almost 450 comments, that is a lot).

In that forum people discuss CBJ problems, all the highs and lows as you are here on this forum, obviously most of them is wishing Korpi a bad luck (even though it's not good), but that's part of being a homer fan for your own goalie so I don't blame them.

I would like to be more active on the forum (in terms of posting more, getting in discussions), but I usually use this forum to lurk to see what everyone has to say here about Latvian players in the NHL/AHL who were drafted (as they are quite a lot so far, which is great, as I have hockey games to watch at nights online). Also for International tournaments I use this forum and most importantly seeing Toronto, Washington and Boston fans cry on their forums after getting smacked, because I hate those teams haha

In the last two years in which I have been lurking in CBJ forum here, I know a lot of people by their nickname and know what most of you all are about.

Have a nice one today! Stay safe!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->