When will we see Bergevin make a major move

JayKing

Go Habs Go
Dec 30, 2011
Montreal
Seeing how most of our divisional rivals have made some pretty major moves this offseason and during this season, I'm wondering when we will get to see Bergevin make a trade. I'm not saying he has to do it, but I'm wondering when the time will come. I feel like the Habs core has been pretty much the same over the last few years. With that said, I know that most of our veterans don't have much value or are soon to be UFAs, but with the rumors of Diaz close to re-signing, Markov wanting a new deal and Emelin being re-signed for 4 years, Briere and other contracts, it feels like there won't be much change for another 1-2 seasons.

ArtPeur

Have a Snickers
Mar 30, 2010
We were saying the same about Gauthier and Gainey I believe..

Edit. I doubt we'll ever see one

Ezpz

No mad pls
Apr 16, 2013
I would imagine if ever it would be this summer/next season with all the expiring contracts and open cap space. He even said when he took the job he had to wait out some contracts.

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
As soon as he sees how bad Therrien is....no other major move will be done.

SakuSauce

Drive for 25
Dec 2, 2006
Montréal
Probably never. The only way I could see us make a major trade it would be by trading Subban. Hopefully we'll never see this day.

JayKing

Go Habs Go
Dec 30, 2011
Montreal
I would imagine if ever it would be this summer/next season with all the expiring contracts and open cap space. He even said when he took the job he had to wait out some contracts.

I though it would be the case at first, but with the rumors of Diaz being close to signing, signing, Emelin signed for 4.1, Markov & Subban for big money, Eller for most likely 4mil & keeping some money for Galchenyuk & Gallagher for the following year, I doubt we'll get a premium free agent like Gaborik, Vanek, Girardi, etc.

JayKing

Go Habs Go
Dec 30, 2011
Montreal
My question is... Do major moves exist anymore in the NHL? Not often and they usually involve the rangers.

Just in our division:

Silfverberg+ for Bobby Ryan

Seguin + Peverley for Eriksson+

Pominville for futures

Vanek for Moulson + 1st

Bernier for Frattin & Scrivens

Bolland for picks ( ok I'm pushing it, but it's still a great deal for the Leafs)

Some of those were risky deals that maybe I wouldn't want Bergevin doing. I'm not saying I want him to, but I'm wondering when it'll happen, because with the core we have right now, I don't see us being contenders within the next 3 years.

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
Who cares? He says "character" too much. Terrible GM.

Jokes aside, my impression is that he's an off-season type of guy for big trades. I doubt he'd do a shake up mid year with a big move.

Alexdaman

Wolfman
Mar 12, 2012
Hell/Heaven
Just in our division:

Silfverberg+ for Bobby Ryan

Seguin + Peverley for Eriksson+

Pominville for futures

Vanek for Moulson + 1st

Bernier for Frattin & Scrivens

Bolland for picks ( ok I'm pushing it, but it's still a great deal for the Leafs)

Some of those were risky deals that maybe I wouldn't want Bergevin doing. I'm not saying I want him to, but I'm wondering when it'll happen, because with the core we have right now, I don't see us being contenders within the next 3 years.

These are big trades, not major trades.

then we can include Ryder, 3rd for Cole

Alexdaman

Wolfman
Mar 12, 2012
Hell/Heaven
Well by major I meant big :p:

It doesn't have to be trades either, but I wouldn't count on free agency. We can't even get a bought out Lecavalier to sign with us :laugh:

Well in major trades I think of the Nash, Gaborik trades since it involves many active players.

Marc-E-

Sep 19, 2004
Montréal, Québec
My question is... Do major moves exist anymore in the NHL? Not often and they usually involve the rangers.

Yes. It's still happen, but harder then ever to materialize. Happen more in of season. I think the last time the Habs made a major trade was Turgeon and Malakhov in exchange of Muller, Schneider and Darby in 95. Just 18 years...

I would like to see Bergevin to put his stamp on this team without all those crap signings that he made last summer without thinking about what the team need: an elite, big scorer. How long we'll have to wait to get that? We can't even draft one (exception of Galchenyuk).

JayKing

Go Habs Go
Dec 30, 2011
Montreal
These are big trades, not major trades.

then we can include Ryder, 3rd for Cole

you could, but for me it didn't help to build the team since Ryder left after one season and not getting past the 1st round. It's basically Cole for a 3rd. Michael Ryder was great for us, but since he didn't re-sign it was a lateral move and that's what I was talking about in the OP when I said that the core has pretty much been the same.

JayKing

Go Habs Go
Dec 30, 2011
Montreal
Well in major trades I think of the Nash, Gaborik trades since it involves many active players.

Well they weren't exactly traded for each other. The Gaborik trade came later.

Nervermind. I thought you meant Nash for Gaborik, but you meant the Nash and the Gaborik trade.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
Nothing major during the season, but I think something happens this month...we are at a quarter point in the season, and getting healthy, so I think there will be a 2 for 1 sale soon...

Alexdaman

Wolfman
Mar 12, 2012
Hell/Heaven
Yes. It's still happen, but harder then ever to materialize. Happen more in of season. I think the last time the Habs made a major trade was Turgeon and Malakhov in exchange of Muller, Schneider and Darby in 95. Just 18 years...

I would like to see Bergevin to put his stamp on this team without all those crap signings that he made last summer without thinking about what the team need: an elite, big scorer. All long we'll have to wait to get that? We can't even draft one (exception of Galchenyuk).

Essentially what he's been doing is keeping the current lineup extended and giving players rewards due to their hard work, yeah he signed DD, but when he did he was performing quite well.

Gauthier used to jingle with the lineup all the time Campoli, Sopel, etc etc and the players hated that. So I think MB's goal is to make the players appreciate the organization when they give their maximum efforts ( however good or bad that is ).

Ezpz

No mad pls
Apr 16, 2013
I though it would be the case at first, but with the rumors of Diaz being close to signing, signing, Emelin signed for 4.1, Markov & Subban for big money, Eller for most likely 4mil & keeping some money for Galchenyuk & Gallagher for the following year, I doubt we'll get a premium free agent like Gaborik, Vanek, Girardi, etc.

Girardi isn't that good. He's a second pairing guy who wouldn't improve on what we have. A case of the grass is greener on the other side. Rags fans complain more about him than we do about Bouillon. He's a lower end version of Gorges who is actually serviceable on the PP. Rangers lost almost every game he played over 20 minutes in this season.

The free agent pool isn't that good and the good ones don't want to come here. The only way we're getting free agents is if they've got massive flaws and we overpay. Like Gionta, Cammy, Spacek etc. Hamrlik is the only good free agent we've signed that actually signed here for his real value. I assume his girlfriend is from here as was the case with Prust.

Any major move that happens will be through trade. We're at a point where we have a lot of decent prospects and not very many openings on the roster coming up in the next few years. We need to package some for some good vets before the numbers game forces us to trade decent prospects/lose them on waivers/force them to bust with lack of ice time. There's never going to be a time when Collberg, Andrighetto, McCarron, Leblanc, Holland and Thomas are all on the team playing RW. Same for Hudon, Reway, Bozon, Lehkonen, Crisp and Nystrom at LW. Or Nygren, Pateryn, Dietz and Thrower at RD. Obviously it's a nice problem to have too many prospects with NHL potential, but we're already forcing Ellis into the bust mold by giving him third pairing minutes/scratching him because of our depth at RD in Hamilton.

er_gree

Oct 6, 2006
Montreal
Hey guys,
I'm kinda new to HF boards (last posted a couple of YEARS ago). Used to love the discussions happening here. I think that Bergevin should get rid of some of the "old guard" (i.e. Plekanec, Bouillon). I know Plek's is a consistent point geter but I think we need to make room for some fresh taken. I obviously think Desharnais' contract was a big mistake. From what I'm seeing from the team this year, it look alike we're in for a long season unless some major moves are made. How sweet would another top round pic look alongside Galchenyuk, Gallagher, and Eller?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad