When will they retire Jagr's number?

Dessloch

DOPS keeping NHL players unsafe like its their job
Nov 29, 2005
I think you’re the one beating the dead horse here.

Jags systematically built a team for HIM. From 97-00, he had great success individually during that time. The rest of the team? Not so much.

I just got tired of seeing you and Honour Over Glory putting a Penguins legend down to the ground with your endless hatred, at least now there is a different opinion here for new Penguins fans who might stumble across this thread.

Dessloch

Nov 29, 2005
Lol. New Penguins fans luckily have true professionals as their idols.

I think its pretty professional to rank 2nd in NHL points and have a professional hockey career from age 16 to 46 and still going. We´ll see if Crosby and Malkin can stay professional that long.

Also Jagr should get some credit for trying to make himself available for the Pens in the draft:

Then-general manager Craig Patrick told the story three years ago at a Penguins alumni golf outing.
"We were surprised (that Jagr was available at No. 5)," Patrick said. "But I found out years later that when he was interviewed by teams ahead of us, he told them all he wasn't coming over (to the NHL) right away. But when we asked him that question he said 'I'll be there tomorrow if you draft me.' So, I think the other teams backed off because of that. We were happy he was there, we were surprised, definitely."
Patrick was asked if he knew why Jagr answered those interview questions the way he did.
"He idolized Mario."

'Not real flashy': Revisiting Jaromir Jagr's 1990 pre-draft scouting report

Last edited:

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
I think its pretty professional to rank 2nd in NHL points and have a professional hockey career from age 16 to 46 and still going. We´ll see if Crosby and Malkin can stay professional that long.

Crosby and Malkin have brought 3 cups to the city and four finals appearances. Who gives a shit what else they do?

Sid is already a better player in terms of hockey history than Jags.

Reactions: Scandale du Jour

Dessloch

Nov 29, 2005
Crosby and Malkin have brought 3 cups to the city and four finals appearances. Who gives a shit what else they do?

Sid is already a better player in terms of hockey history than Jags.

The only player that have dominated the game close to 99 and 66 is Jagr. Crosby might have done it if not for unfortunate freak injuries at key times, but its not a fact sadly. What will be most remembered is debatable of course, depending on if you prefer individual success or team success when deciding which player is better.

This was never a Crosby, Malkin Vs Jagr argument from my side anyhow, as they are all Penguins legends.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA

Also Jagr should get some credit for trying to make himself available for the Pens in the draft:

Then-general manager Craig Patrick told the story three years ago at a Penguins alumni golf outing.
"We were surprised (that Jagr was available at No. 5)," Patrick said. "But I found out years later that when he was interviewed by teams ahead of us, he told them all he wasn't coming over (to the NHL) right away. But when we asked him that question he said 'I'll be there tomorrow if you draft me.' So, I think the other teams backed off because of that. We were happy he was there, we were surprised, definitely."
Patrick was asked if he knew why Jagr answered those interview questions the way he did.
"He idolized Mario."

Oh really? Funny. Because Jags has also said he thought he was going to Philly. Funny how Jags can never get his story straight. Or rather his story is only convenient when it’s convenient.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
The only player that have dominated the game close to 99 and 66 is Jagr. Crosby might have done it if not for unfortunate freak injuries at key times, but its not a fact sadly. What will be most remembered is debatable of course, depending on if you prefer individual success or team success when deciding which player is better.

This was never a Crosby, Malkin Vs Jagr argument from my side anyhow, as they are all Penguins legends.

Crosby and Malkin are Penguins legends.

Jagr is a legend.

Also, very few agree with your statement aside from the Jagr stans which you are clearly one of.

Dessloch

Nov 29, 2005
Oh really? Funny. Because Jags has also said he thought he was going to Philly. Funny how Jags can never get his story straight. Or rather his story is only convenient when it’s convenient.

Jagr allegedly thinking PHI was going to pick would not make any of what Craig Patrick says untrue or less valid, think again. Thinking PHI would pick him does not mean he wanted to go there over the Pens.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012

"He idolized Mario."

Crosby and Malkin have been far more mature and professional in behaviour longer than Jagr ever has and ever will. That's just a fact.

EightyOne

My posts are jokes. And hockey is just a game.
Nov 23, 2016
lol...you know you are special when you can unite Pixies and HoG in a thread, lol lol

Look, @Lesky, Jags can have a tribute in the arena or whatever. But it probably shouldn't be in the rafters.

If he would have somehow gotten those flawed teams to a Cup or hell, even a Finals...then you would have a more solid argument. But, he didn't even play half a career here and was a self centered flyboy most of the time.

Kessel might backcheck harder....

Dessloch

Nov 29, 2005
Crosby and Malkin have been far more mature and professional in behaviour longer than Jagr ever has and ever will. That's just a fact.

Jagr has been professional in behaviour since his NYR captaincy stint starting 2004. Thats 16 years. Crosby has been professional for 15 years, and Malkin for 14. Just facts.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
lol...you know you are special when you can unite Pixies and HoG in a thread, lol lol

Look, @Lesky, Jags can have a tribute in the arena or whatever. But it probably shouldn't be in the rafters.

If he would have somehow gotten those flawed teams to a Cup or hell, even a Finals...then you would have a more solid argument. But, he didn't even play half a career here and was a self centered flyboy most of the time.

Maybe if he would have got the Pens to you know. An ECF. That’d been cool.

Reactions: EightyOne

Dessloch

Nov 29, 2005

Jagr already have a several tributes in the arena as I am sure you know. Anyway, with 5 Art Rosses , 2 cups and the most iconic and offensive dominating player except for Lemieux, thats a Penguins legend for me even though he "only" played 11 seasons here.

The point of me entering the thread was not say its definitely wrong for the people to argue Jagr should not be in the rafters even though I disagree. The point was more that its a joke to see posts like: "Jagr has nothing but contempt and hates Pittsburgh" etc posted like 10 times already in the thread. How is that bollocks even allowed here when there is zero or nothing supporting those remarks? As Jagr has always praised the Penguins that misinformation should not be allowed to stand unchallanged.

EightyOne

My posts are jokes. And hockey is just a game.
Nov 23, 2016
Jagr already have a several tributes in the arena as I am sure you know. Anyway, with 5 Art Rosses and 2 cups and the most offensive dominating player except for Lemieux, thats a Penguins legend for me even though he "only" played 11 seasons here.

The point of me entering the thread was not say its definitely wrong for the people to argue Jagr should not be in the rafters even though I disagree. The point was more thats a joke to see posts like: "Jagr has nothing but contempt and hates Pittsburgh" etc. How is that bollocks even allowed here when there is zero or nothing supporting those remarks?

Some of that is coming from a poster who currently LIVES in the Czech Republic in and I would imagine has a much more accurate finger on the pulse of Jagr sentiment than we do.

Art Ross trophies dont really help the team directly. How is EDM dominating lately?

Anyway...

If his fellow countrymen dont have much respect for him...where do we stand?

Reactions: Honour Over Glory

Dessloch

Nov 29, 2005
Some of that is coming from a poster who currently LIVES in the Czech Republic in and I would imagine has a much more accurate finger on the pulse of Jagr sentiment than we do.

If his fellow countrymen dont have much respect for him...where do we stand?

What? Interviews during a span from 2001 to 2017 when he left the NHL is not good enough for you? Instead you choose to rely on some hater and ignore the written sources that exist in english? Btw, I follow lots of Jagr channels that has plenty of Czech Republic natives, and none would agree with the poster on here.

If some people here really do believe Jagr hates the Penguins and has only contempt for the fans and city of Pittsburgh, then I feel terrible sad for you, as you spend your whole life holding onto something that is utterly false.

I am a Penguins fan first and also a Jagr fan, and as I have probably read every Jagr related article since he left Pittsburgh, I have very good knowledge about what Jagr has said about the Penguins since he left and its been nothing but praise. He has been crediting Mario, the Pens and various of his Penguins teammates, especially Ron Francis etc. To me thats been very nice and important to hear, thats why I am shocked when I the disinformation being spread on here.

Btw, many Pens fans seem to have lived under rock since 2012, since Jagr returned to the NHL he has been literally showered with praise in all citys and teams he played for. There is endless of stories written about Jagr from this time that is incredible positive. Pretty much universal praise for the man that has obviously changed alot since he left Pittsburgh. It seems Penguins fans are the only ones that have missed all of this and instead holding on to what happened 20 years ago.

Last edited:

Dessloch

Nov 29, 2005
Oh ok. So you didn't understand what I said.

I understood what you said. Jagr was indeed immature in his Penguins career from time to time which was sad. I just corrected your falsehood about Crosby and Malkin being professional for longer time, as that is not correct even if when you discount Jagrs Penguins and Capitals stint.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
What? Interviews during a span from 2001 to 2017 when he left the NHL is not good enough for you? Instead you choose to rely on some hater and ignore the written sources that exist in english? Btw, I follow lots of Jagr channels that has plenty of Czech Republic natives, and none would agree with the poster on here.

If some people here really do believe Jagr hates the Penguins and has only contempt for the fans and city of Pittsburgh, then I feel terrible sad for you, as you spend your whole life holding onto something that is utterly false.

I am a Penguins fan first and also a Jagr fan, and as I have probably read every Jagr related article since he left Pittsburgh, I have very good knowledge about what Jagr has said about the Penguins since he left and its been nothing but praise. He has been crediting Mario, the Pens and various of his Penguins teammates, especially Ron Francis etc. To me thats been very nice and important to hear, thats why I am shocked when I the disinformation being spread on here.

Btw, many Pens fans seem to have lived under rock since 2012, since Jagr returned to the NHL he has been literally showered with praise in all citys and teams he played for. There is endless of stories written about Jagr from this time that is incredible positive. Pretty much universal praise for the man that has obviously changed alot since he left Pittsburgh. It seems Penguins fans are the only ones that have missed all of this and instead holding on to what happened 20 years ago.

We get it dude. You love Jagr. We love the Penguins.

Dessloch

Nov 29, 2005
We get it dude. You love Jagr. We love the Penguins.

No reason to be snide here. You can love both the Penguins and Jagr. You seem to be doing more hating than loving though.

But I guess are not capable ot realizing that. You harbour hatred, while I celebrate a Penguins legend, I´ll know what I think is most contructive.

Btw, my assessment on Jagr vs Crosby is more credible than yours, you are just a Crosby stan, while I stan both Crosby and Jagr, so you are more biased than I am, especially as you dislike Jagr while I love both Crosby and Jagr.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
No reason to be snide here. You can love both the Penguins and Jagr.

But I guess are not capable ot realizing that. You harbour hatred, while I celebrate a Penguins legend, I´ll know what I think is most contructive.

As I’ve said multiple times, I have no problems with Jags as a player and his legacy. As someone that grew up with him basically being the face of the franchise he was clearly a favorite. He is a quirky dude, but this franchise was disrespected by him multiple times.

We are talking about a franchise that has retired two numbers. Jags simply isn’t up there. Sid and Geno have been consummate pros since day 1 and have brought way more success to the franchise than Jags or Mario.

Reactions: Lesky

Dessloch

Nov 29, 2005
As I’ve said multiple times, I have no problems with Jags as a player and his legacy. As someone that grew up with him basically being the face of the franchise he was clearly a favorite.

We are talking about a franchise that has retired two numbers. Jags simply isn’t up there. Sid and Geno have been consummate pros since day 1 and have brought way more success to the franchise than Jags or Mario.

Well, if you had put it this way from the beginning and not included all snide remarks then I would have said fine. Having that opinion is perfectly sensible. Its the endless bashing of Jagr that triggered me to enter the thread. That being said, you were not writing the worst posts, they belonged to Honour Over Glory and HandshakeLin who contributed the most posts to the thread that was mostly rubbish and incorrect.

Its just ludicrous to rile up Penguins fans planting some completely absurd and non-factual claims that Jagr hates Pittsburgh and the Penguins, when its the opposite and also well documented.

Its like Penguins fans carry such a bias against Jagr that they are willing to blindly believe anyone bad written about Jagr, regardless how bizarre and untrue it is.

Last edited:

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
Well, if you had put it this way from the beginning and not included all snide remarks then I would have said fine. Having that opinion is perfectly sensible. Its the endless bashing of Jagr that triggered me to enter the thread. That being said, you were not writing the worst posts, they belonged to Honour Over Glory and HandshakeLin who contributed the most posts to the thread that was mostly rubbish and incorrect.

I don’t think it is bizarre for certain sects of our fanbase to hold a ton against Jags when it comes to his retirement. He basically spat in the team’s face twice and then tried to twist it as if he was doing the team a service (the comments about asking out so the Pens could resign Kovy, Lang and Straka) or that he was worth more when he himself told the franchise he would play for the Pens for league minimum.

He’s the most decisive Penguins player in a town that worships their sports idols.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad