When will they retire Jagr's number?

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Ray Shero was a bad GM, but a smart man. The only reason Penguins fans are upset about Jagr not signing with the Pens in 2011 is because they have been fooled by the Pittsburgh media and do not understand the context of Jagrs NHL return. Jagr wanted to return to the NHL to prove he was still an 1st line player and not on a 1 year farewell tour. The Penguins indicated to Jagr that he had to wait because the Penguins wanted to sign Tyler Kennedy first, that was their priority. As Jagr have said: "No disrespect towards Tyler Kennedy, but it showed the Penguins interest was not serious".

To be able to stay in the NHL and play a significant role, Jagr needed to go to a team that would give him 1st line minutes and 1st PP role. The Penguins clearly could not offer that to Jagr, and more so with thinking Tyler Kennedy was more important than Jagr. Further more Jagr said he felt Ray Shero had no real interest in having him on the team. Ray Shero lowballed Jagr with a 1.5$ one year deal and had Tyler Kennedy signed at 2$ million instead.

Shero then removed the Penguins offer to Jagr 10 minutes before free agency begun, so Jagr never could have signed with the Penguins. Its thought Shero did all of this to avoid a backslash from the Penguins fan base for not signing Jagr. Instead lowball Jagr and make him feel unwanted, and then have Jagr become the scapegoat for not returning to Pittsburgh. Any Penguins fans hating on Jagr because of what happened in 2011, needs to understand all of this and direct their anger towards Shero instead, if still feeling bitter about it. Shero could have landed a Penguins legend who went on to have 6 amazing years in the NHL on the cheap.

With regards to Jagrs conduct:

People grow and mature with age, Jagr has certainly changed and he has praised the Penguins every time he has got a chance since he left. Time for Penguins fans to forgive what happened 20 years age. I am baffled as to how people can feel so much anger still.

Lol.

Reactions: Honour Over Glory

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
What kind of idiotic made up nonsense is this? Jagr has done nothing but praise the Penguins, Lemieux, Francis and every other player on the roster since the day he left. Have you lived under a rock? I really dont get it, I have been following Jagrs career post Penguins and Jagr has always been very vocal about how great his time was in Pittsburgh and how he owes his career to the Penguins etc. This had been done on a regular basis from 2001 to 2021 on TV and in a great number of articles during the years.
You don't know the history of Jagr and the penguins and it clearly shows you're insanely out of your depths here. Jagr speaks from both sides of his mouth. He knows what gets him sympathy votes. He's still a piece of shit.

Reactions: Scandale du Jour

Dessloch

DOPS keeping NHL players unsafe like its their job
Nov 29, 2005
You don't know the history of Jagr and the penguins and it clearly shows you're insanely out of your depths here. Jagr speaks from both sides of his mouth. He knows what gets him sympathy votes. He's still a piece of shit.

What? I spoke about what Jagr has said publicly about the Penguins since he left. I did not venture into what happened before he left. Was that hard for you to understand?

Dessloch

Nov 29, 2005
We all remember the game. Notice how the story is all about Jags and how “he saved the team”.

You’d never hear that self serving shit from the players we actually should retire.

And I’m curious how Jagr getting us to the 2nd round proves me wrong in what I said? Also, interesting to act like Jagr was on an island when that team had Kovalev and Straka who tied and out scored him in the playoffs.

Without Jagr on the team the Penguins 1998-2000 teams does even make the playoffs, thats pretty much it, nothing more to add.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
What? I spoke about what Jagr has said publicly about the Penguins since he left. I did not venture into what happened before he left. Was that hard for you to understand?

Nothing is hard to understand. You’re a Jagr Stan excusing the fact he has always been about himself which is fine. Fantastic player and in other franchises deserves his number to be retired.

He will likely get it retired here. But it should be after Sid and Geno. They are 10x the players and people than Mememememe Jags.

I’m also curious why a “Pens” fan has a Florida title under their AV and doesn’t post here.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
....What about 14? I've heard reports of him being there.

What a legend.

bigwhiffa.gif

Reactions: Darkwing Psyduck

Dessloch

Nov 29, 2005
Nothing is hard to understand. Your a Jagr Stan excusing the fact he has always been about himself which is fine. Fantastic player and in other franchises deserves his number to be retired.

Well, Jagrs career is about Jagr, not the Penguins exlusively, I dont know why you expect that to be the case. Jagr came back to the NHL to stay in the NHL as long as he could and for that he needed the right playing time to show he still could play. He obviously made the right choice based on the success he had. Shero also succeded in not signing Jagr and deflecting the blame on Jagr and not himself.

Why would Jagr go out of his way to return to Pittsburgh anyway where the fans had booed him for the 10 years? Jagr obviously got the impression he was not welcome in Pittsburgh again, if you have not noticed.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
You didn't understand. He paid lip service. But his actions always spoke louder.

You still don't get it.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Well, Jagrs career is about Jagr, not the Penguins exlusively, I dont know why you expect that to be the case. Jagr came back to the NHL to stay in the NHL as long as he could and for that he needed the right playing time to show he still could play. He obviously made the right choice based on the success he had. Shero also succeded in not signing Jagr and deflecting the blame on Jagr and not himself.

Why would he go out of his way to return to Pittsburgh anyway where the fans had booed him for the 10 years?
Jagr came back because he needed more money. Jagr also has a serious gambling problem.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA

Why would he go out of his way to return to Pittsburgh anyway where the fans had booed him for the 10 years?

Who cares? The point is he had the opportunity to cement his legacy by returning and he literally signed with the team’s biggest rival.

What success did he have exactly? A good run with the Bruins is all I can remember.

He would have added little to that Pens squad.

Dessloch

Nov 29, 2005
Who cares? The point is he had the opportunity to cement his legacy by returning and he literally signed with the team’s biggest rival.

What success did he have exactly? A good run with the Bruins is all I can remember.

Yeah, Jagr probably cares about his career, as most other hockey players do.

What success he had? How about putting up 66 and 67 points when being 41 and 43 years of age? How about taking over the 2nd spot of points all time? Thats not success for you?

I get it, all you care about it team success, but in reality, Florida will never win a stanley cup. Not everything is about cups anyway, Jagrs legacy is much more impressive than a cup.

Give these a read:

The Enduring Power of Jaromir Jagr
Big Read: The oral history of Jaromir Jagr - Sportsnet.ca

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
Yeah, Jagr probably cares about his career, as most other hockey players do.

What success he had? How about putting up 66 and 67 points when being 41 and 43 years of age? How about taking over the 2nd spot of points all time? Thats not success for you?

I get it, all you care about it team success, but in reality, Florida will never win a stanley cup. Not everything is about cups anyway, Jagrs legacy is much more impressive than a cup.

Not when it comes to a team that is as selective with retirement as us.

Who gives a shit about anything else he did that wasn’t here when it comes to that?

Nothing wrong with the decisions Jags made. But, his decisions should prompt us to at least do Sid and Geno the chance to hang up there 1st. And IMO never hang up there.

He was never in the class of Penguins player that Geno, Sid and Mario have been on and off the ice.

Dessloch

Nov 29, 2005
Not when it comes to a team that is as selective with retirement as us.

Who gives a shit about anything else he did that wasn’t here when it comes to that?

You asked me, what success did he have after returning to the NHL - so I replied.

It will be so much fun the day Jagrs jersey will be retired, will you watch or will you boycott the ceremony? Or will you be there and boo as loud as you can?

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
You asked me, what success did he have after returning to the NHL - so I replied.

It will be so much fun the day Jagrs jersey will be retired, will you watch or will you boycott the ceremony?

Probably won’t care ultimately. Pens can do whatever they want.

Jags is 100% the player the media made Ovechkin out to be prior to his cup win though. And that’s why he never had any true team success here once Lemieux was gone or in any of his other stops along his career.

Dessloch

Nov 29, 2005
Jags is 100% the player the media made Ovechkin out to be prior to his cup win though. And that’s why he never had any true team success here once Lemieux was gone or in any of his other stops along his career.

OK. While Ovechkin played on president trophy teams the entire time and Jagrs Penguins barely made the playoffs, I find the comparison utterly weak.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012

It will be so much fun the day Jagrs jersey will be retired, will you watch or will you boycott the ceremony? Or will you be there and boo as loud as you can?
He'll do neither because it won't happen.

Dessloch

Nov 29, 2005
Jagr came back because he needed more money. Jagr also has a serious gambling problem.

Well, I know it was alleged Jagr had a gambling problem 20 years ago. No idea if he still has that problem as you are claiming.

About the money:

Edmonton offered him 2$ million more than Avangard Omsk back in 2009. Jagr choose Omsk because he had promised during the lockout 2004-2005 that he would return there. Also St.Louis offered more money than the Flyers in 2010. And Florida did not offer the highest money in any of the years he signed with them. So what you are saying is not true anyways. And btw, why leave Omsk were he nettet 4-5 million with less tax and return to the NHL to be paid way less with more tax? Makes no sense if it was all about money. I am not saying Jagr did not care about money, just that it was not that ultimate as you describe it.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
OK. While Ovechkin played on president trophy teams the entire time and Jagrs Penguins barely made the playoffs, I find the comparison utterly weak.

Funny how Jags never got past the 2nd round without Mario huh?

Also how he moped and sucked the year Mario came back in the playoffs cos he wasn’t “the guy”
Anymore.

Reactions: Honour Over Glory

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Well, I know it was alleged Jagr had a gambling problem 20 years ago. No idea if he still has that problem as you are claiming.

About the money:

Edmonton offered him 2$ million more than Avangard Omsk back in 2009. Jagr choose Omsk because he had promised during the lockout 2004-2005 that he would return there. Also St.Louis offered more money than the Flyers in 2010. And Florida did not offer the highest money in any of the years he signed with them. So what you are saying is not true anyways.
Lol that's your rationale why he chose literally anywhere else but Edmonton? The annual tankers, aka the Oilers, were not a destination for big name Ufas. They missed out on a lot of big name ufas that they over bid on but those players always chose elsewhere. Might be different now but at that time they could have given 4m more and he still wouldn't have.

Also you're wrong. Jagr with his bonuses made more with the Panthers than he did with the other teams in his comeback tour. It was about money and the tax freedom in Florida. The 5 fans at the Panthers game got to see a legend. Jagr got paid.

Dessloch

Nov 29, 2005
Funny how Jags never got past the 2nd round without Mario huh?

Also how he moped and sucked the year Mario came back in the playoffs cos he wasn’t “the guy”
Anymore.

Funny how a guy that was not "the guy" anymore outscored Lemieux in PPG while not being "the guy" anymore. You are beating a dead horse. The 1997-98, 1998-1999 and 1999-2000 Penguins team were definitely not top 4 teams in the league. Jagr dragged them into the playoffs while dominating the regular season like nobody but 99 and 66 had done before.

And love for hockey not only money:

"He's made more than $50 million, so the question begs: What drives this two-time Stanley Cup champion and nine-time All-Star forward to continue to play a sport with players young enough to be his sons?

"I've never been motivated by trophies or whoever won,'' Jagr said before training camp began last week. "I do this sport because I love it. When you look around there's people, they don't make a living by playing hockey, they have a regular job and they still go play 15 against 15 at midnight just to be there, paying for the ice, so they have to love it, too.

"I know I'm going to be one of those guys. Why not do it right now?''

Last edited:

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Funny how a guy that was not "the guy" anymore outscored Lemieux in PPG while not being "the guy" anymore. You are beating a dead horse. The 1997-98, 1998-1999 and 1999-2000 Penguins team were definitely not top 4 teams in the league. Jagr dragged them into the playoffs.
Florida should retire his number. That long illustrious Panthers career and all.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Funny how a guy that was not "the guy" anymore outscored Lemieux in PPG while not being "the guy" anymore. You are beating a dead horse. The 1997-98, 1998-1999 and 1999-2000 Penguins team were definitely not top 4 teams in the league. Jagr dragged them into the playoffs while dominating the regular season like nobody but 99 and 66 had done before.
Poor Constantine, Hlinka, Barrasso and the Straka, Lang, and Kovalev line...

Dessloch

Nov 29, 2005
All I know is that Jagr watching is a national sport here and anyone that thinks that Jagr a) cares about the Penguins and b) has anything but contempt for Pittsburgh is pretty much kidding themselves, based on his years of speaking candidly to the Czech press.

Nothing but contempt for the Penguins, huh?

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Right. A guy that owes so much to Mario. Would play for league min. Pens offer him 2m, what would have fit in their cap, and he went for more money with the Flyers.

Owes so much to Mario though, amirite???

PHILADELPHIA -- Free-agent forward Jaromir Jagron Friday surprised many around the league, signing a one-year contract with the Philadelphia Flyers.
Jagr, 39, the former NHL MVP who has spent the past three seasons playing in Russia, this week mulled over a one-year offer to rejoin the Pittsburgh Penguins, his original team, before ultimately deciding to play on the other end of Pennsylvania.
The Flyers' deal is worth $3.3 million. The Penguins' offer was for $2 million
Jagr signs with Flyers after Pens, Red Wings bail

Lol this guy, posting like he's Jagrs illegitimate kid.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA

And love for hockey not only money:

"He's made more than $50 million, so the question begs: What drives this two-time Stanley Cup champion and nine-time All-Star forward to continue to play a sport with players young enough to be his sons?

"I've never been motivated by trophies or whoever won,'' Jagr said before training camp began last week. "I do this sport because I love it. When you look around there's people, they don't make a living by playing hockey, they have a regular job and they still go play 15 against 15 at midnight just to be there, paying for the ice, so they have to love it, too.

"I know I'm going to be one of those guys. Why not do it right now?''

I think you’re the one beating the dead horse here.

Jags systematically built a team for HIM. From 97-00, he had great success individually during that time. The rest of the team? Not so much.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad