When will they retire Jagr's number?

EXTRAS

Jul 31, 2012
Yeah...accomplishments on the team?

Great. For sure.

Fan favorite or local cultural hero deserving of a retired number?

f*** no.

I don't even think Geno's should be. Sid a hard maybe.

I think retiring numbers is borderline idiotic.

Just name a luxury suite after em or parking lot out front lol

You pens fans have been spoiled. Top 10 player of all time and 'maybe'...lol. What us fans in vancouver would do for any of mario/jagr/crosby/malkin/letang level talents...ever in our history.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
I do hold pretty firm to two out of 3 requirements for retiring a Pens' number:

1) Be a central part of the franchise's identity for the entirety of their career. Jagr's lack of a full or nearly career here is the bigger disqualifier IMO than him hating the city.

2) Be an absolutely unique player that is an all time great and the reason for this team's success- Sid is a little shakier here, and Malkin maybe even slightly more so. I'm greedy. I want us to be SPECIAL when we retire our numbers, because f*** every other franchise. :laugh:

3) Have a tragic early demise.

It's not at all like any other franchise does it, but again, f*** every other franchise. I don't want us to be like the Caps. Or the Rags. Or the Beejs, or whatever team other people watch.

Yeah that's just where I'm at, too. I'll clap along with everyone else when Sid's number is retired because it almost certainly will be (him getting this treatment and Malkin not will, admittedly, make me shake my head a bit but whatever) but I agree that a number retirement should be like... super exceptional. And I also agree with the point that I don't care how other teams do it or where our players would rank there. Is Sid Mario-level? Ehhhhhh...

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
I don't think retiring Sid's number would put him on Mario's level as a player (hell, I don't think we'll ever see anyone that level play for this club again, at least not in my lifetime), but I would absolutely argue that as a captain of the team, Sid is pretty close, if not slightly higher than Lemieux.

Reactions: Ugene Malkin

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
I don't think retiring Sid's number would put him on Mario's level as a player (hell, I don't think we'll ever see anyone that level play for this club again, at least not in my lifetime), but I would absolutely argue that as a captain of the team, Sid is pretty close, if not slightly higher than Lemieux.

Sid is for sure a better leader of men than Lemieux, I would say.

Look I'm weird about number retirements, OK? Leave me alone. lol

When the man himself says it I tend to agree. The team's success alone says it all. One common trait that helps is being with one team.

Jagr doesn't fit the bill.

Nathaniel Skywalker

Oct 18, 2013
Jagr is arguably the 2nd best Penguin ever (certainly higher offensive peak than either Sid it Geno). And he's the best winger ever
There no beef with the organization. He's as much of a lock to get his number retired at anyone. I'm guessing within a few years. He's still playing in Czech.
There is 0 argument for jagr over Crosby

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
Who the f*** cares about Vancouver on the Pens board? :laugh:

Seriously.

I don't disagree that Penguins fans have been spoiled, but I don't need to hear a sob story about the comparative state of a team we've played like 15 times in the last two decades. I can't understand why anyone would think the suffering of Canuck fans would interest anyone reading a thread about the prospective Pittsburgh jersey retirement of (current Kladno Knight) Jaromir Jagr, let alone why they would keep trying to steer the thread back to this topic.

ziggyjoe212

Oct 2, 2017
There is 0 argument for jagr over Crosby
That's not true.

Jagr is absolutely better offensive player in his prime. Jagr's 5 Art Ross trophies is unprecedented in the modern era outside of Wayne and Mario. He dominated a hockey game the way Sid and Geno never could.

Of course Crosby has accomplished far more as a team, and this will likely put him over Jagr in terms of legacy.

ziggyjoe212

Oct 2, 2017
For the Penguins franchise, I think the following #'s should be retired.

66, 68, 87, 71. These guys are legends and among the best players in history. They're all synonymous with the franchise and all won multiple stanley cups.

I recently changed my mind about Letang. He may qualify for other franchises, but he wasn't the heart and soul of hte Pens. He never won individual hardware (although I will always argue anyone that he deserved the Conn Smythe in 2016 over Sid).
I also don't think 21 should be retired. The guy played 1 season in the NHL.

Don'tcry4mejanhrdina

Aug 4, 2003
This space.
Crosby and Malkin should have their numbers retired. Jagr, meh, I won't be upset if/when it happens but I would say no. His number might be retired elsewhere (NYR). We all know Washington is going to retire his number as well, hang it up there right next to all their Presidents Trophy banners and their Traded For Kevin Shattenkirk banner.

Reactions: EightyOne

Nathaniel Skywalker

Oct 18, 2013
That's not true.

Jagr is absolutely better offensive player in his prime. Jagr's 5 Art Ross trophies is unprecedented in the modern era outside of Wayne and Mario. He dominated a hockey game the way Sid and Geno never could.

Of course Crosby has accomplished far more as a team, and this will likely put him over Jagr in terms of legacy.
Art Ross trophies are individual only. They do nothing for the penguins.

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
That's not true.

Sid would have won that many if not for injuries. He was the best offensive player in the game from 2011-2015 and top 3 from 2007-2017.

Reactions: EightyOne

ziggyjoe212

Oct 2, 2017
Sid would have won that many if not for injuries. He was the best offensive player in the game from 2011-2015 and top 3 from 2007-2017.
You botched your own case. Let me help you out. I'd say Crosby was pretty firmly the best player when he was 19, in 2007, when he won his first Art Ross. He was slightly better than a 35 year old Jagr that season. His offensive peak came in 2010, unfortunatley he only played 41 games that year thanks to Dave Steckel. I agree that Sid was firmly top 3 from 2006-2017, with Sid, Geno, and OV taking turns being the best player in the world. And yes I agree Sid would have won 1-2 more Art Ross's had he not had so many injuries. However, he still accomplished a ton and is a lock to be a top 10 player of all time if he retired today.

Reactions: Lesky

EightyOne

My posts are jokes. And hockey is just a game.
Nov 23, 2016
You pens fans have been spoiled. Top 10 player of all time and 'maybe'...lol. What us fans in vancouver would do for any of mario/jagr/crosby/malkin/letang level talents...ever in our history.

There'd be no numbers left if the Pens retired every one that was deserving.

Lol.

We'd be using Roman numerals for rookies by now.

Khelandros

Feb 12, 2019
At the end of the day, everyone in this thread needs to realize one thing: Jagrs number will be retired by the Penguins. It doesn't matter what anyone on this board wants, because Mario wants it done, so it will be done.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
At the end of the day, everyone should remember the terrible and powerful weight of message board posters saying something should be done.

JRS91

Jul 4, 2010
For the Penguins franchise, I think the following #'s should be retired.

66, 68, 87, 71. These guys are legends and among the best players in history. They're all synonymous with the franchise and all won multiple stanley cups.

I recently changed my mind about Letang. He may qualify for other franchises, but he wasn't the heart and soul of hte Pens. He never won individual hardware (although I will always argue anyone that he deserved the Conn Smythe in 2016 over Sid).
I also don't think 21 should be retired. The guy played 1 season in the NHL.

I think you have to include Fleury in there too.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad