When will the NHL add a euro division ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Michael Morbid

Jun 11, 2004
PBC
octopi said:
That wouldn't be a half bad idea, except it makes the Stanley Cup no longer the pinnacle of hockey achievement. Somehow, that seems wrong.

Personally, i'd rather be the champion of the entire world instead of just North America. Even though it would be weird if the stanley cup wasn't as important anymore.

But like the other guy said, a NHL All-Star VS IIHF Euro Star game would be cool as hell.

Vladiator

Jan 2, 2005
New Zealand
Could happen... in a few million years when European and American continents finally complete their drift towards each other. ;)

On the serious note -- such a league wouldm't be able to include Russia. Can you emagine going from e.g. NYC to Omsk or from Stockholm to Vladivostok?

BTW, Europe has a kind of Champions League equivalent. It only lasts a week or so, and less teams participate than in soccer. Avangard won it last season.

Michael Morbid

Jun 11, 2004
PBC
This would never happen...

But if I was in charge here's how I would re-work the league into a world wide league.

###########################################
##################Eastern Conference - Divisions, etc.#
####NHL North America###########################
##################Western Conference - Divisions, etc.#
NHL#########################################
##################Eastern Conference - Divisions, etc.#
####NHL Europe################################
##################Western Conference - Divisions, etc.#

The two continental conferences wouldn't have interleague play, but the all-star game would be NA VS EU (not the crap they had before) and it the location would switch each yea between a NA location & a EU location.

Each continental conference would have the same playoff situation as we have now except instead of the winner of the east / west conference final being the stanley cup winner, now the stanley cup winner would be the EU champion vs the NA champion to decide the cup winner. It'd only be adding 1 more round to the playoff format we have now.

This all probally makes no sense, but I figured i'd tell you guys my idea. Thoughts?

Someone gimme a couple billion so I can buy the WHA name and start my own super league.

Also, the EU conferences / divisions are pretty much already in place, it'd just be a matter of converting the russian/german/swedish/etc leagues.

Last edited:

Ogopogo*

RLC said:
I realy hope the NHL does this one day.
Now this is an NHL division, with NHL rinks subject to NHL rules all the way. A 6 team division playing all regular games ( like our original 6 ) within thier division, then the division winner comming over for the playoffs.
and entering the playoffs at thier appropriate points level.
They could play out the city that is next to get an NHL spot. Testing the market. Huge upside in viewership for the NHL, huge upside for advertizers to reach the euro market.

How would like to see this ?

The travel costs will prevent this from ever happening - Thank God.

Who needs it? It would just be a gimmick and, to be honest, North American fans will not be interested in teams from Helsinki or Moscow. North America is the biggest most powerful market on earth, advertisers would be downgrading to do European ads.

Keep it real, the NHL doesn't need European franchises.

BigE

Mar 12, 2004
New York, NY
Whatever the league, it's going to need to wait for technology to catch up. They're talking AT LEAST another 15-20 years before it's 2 hrs from Tokyo to New York.

Tb0ne

Nov 29, 2004
Victoria
European Elite League/European Champions League with the #1 and #2 teams from each National Elite league would be a better bet.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->