When Will the Leafs be considered Polished/Experienced

A1LeafNation

Obsession beats talent everytime!!
Oct 17, 2010
We played Washington in the playoffs but lost to a more experienced team.

We played Boston in the playoffs but lost to a more experienced team.

Last night Leafs got beat by a more polished Pittsburgh team.

Can we take the next step already...when does it happen?

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
This year.

If we lose in the playoffs, no more stupid excuses. Honest to god we should have gotten past Boston last year. IDGAF what anyone says, their team was an overachieving pretender that was nowhere near as good as their point total indicated.

Moncherry

Feb 5, 2010
We played Washington in the playoffs but lost to a more experienced team.

We played Boston in the playoffs but lost to a more experienced team.

Last night Leafs got beat by a more polished Pittsburgh team.

Can we take the next step already...when does it happen?

Why are you questioning the team's ability to take the next step because they lost a game in October? Where was this thread when they beat the defending champions?

A1LeafNation

Obsession beats talent everytime!!
Oct 17, 2010
Why are you questioning the team's ability to take the next step because they lost a game in October? Where was this thread when they beat the defending champions?

I just want to know when I will stop hearing they get beat by more experience/polished teams.

Ratboy

I made a funny!
Jul 15, 2009
This year.

If we lose in the playoffs, no more stupid excuses. Honest to god we should have gotten past Boston last year. IDGAF what anyone says, their team was an overachieving pretender that was nowhere near as good as their point total indicated.
Yeah . If we didn't lose Kadri we win. If Gardiner has a working brain .. we win.

Ratboy

I made a funny!
Jul 15, 2009
I just want to know when I will stop hearing they get beat by more experience/polished teams.
I think it'll take a couple years of successful playoff rounds. Starting with at least 1 this year and building on it next year. It takes time.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
This year.

Yeah . If we didn't lose Kadri we win. If Gardiner has a working brain .. we win.

I think both of you guys basically said what I was thinking anyway with this.

The system we're using so far seems to be better aside from the 1st couple of games where we were adjusting. I do think we need to actually upgrade what we have on the blueline but we have all year to do it.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
We are led by guys who this is only their 3rd season. Top 2 lines, only 2 vets Marleau and JT. Look at the blue line: Dermott, Zaitzev, Ozhiganov. 3 out of the 6 have only 201 NHL games combined between them. It'll take time. A couple of deep playoff runs will help.

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
When I see how many Leaf haters think the Leafs have the absolute worse Dman in the NHL, those folks won't be happy till the Leafs defence is manned again by Horton, Stanley, Baun, Brewer and Hillman.

hockeyes

Jun 15, 2013
It's easy to write a team or player off when they haven't won anything (Ovi/WSH until last year) but at the end of the day, you just hope your team is moving forward and not backwards, so far the Leafs are going the right direction.

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
I assume when all of the Leafs best players are legal to drink in the USA?
Historically, elite youngsters do fantastic in their 3rd year. Chicago's youngsters won a cup and Pittsburgh's went to the cup one year, won it the next. One wouldn't be wrong to call mulligan on last year's series loss but I really don't think we can use the experience argument if we lose early in the playoffs again.

NightTrain1

Oct 20, 2013
Well, we are on the cusp right now.

It's just a matter of getting all the lines to gel and play complete games, not sporadic and in spurts. Great teams mostly dominate and give back little while we are still giving far far too much. We are probably key role players away from going the distance honestly and maybe 1 more years experience deeper in the playoffs.

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
Maybe when they go into (a) playoff series as the team projected/expected to win and follow through on that? I understand that might be subjective. I figured on a 6-2 record at this point, but thought they'd beat Ottawa and lose to Washington. Banking points and qualifying for the playoffs aside, not much else is really won or lost this early in the season. Some of the team's best players are still among its youngest/inexperienced, for all of the ups and downs associated with that.

Discordia

Nov 1, 2017
When they know how to play defense and not run around like some headless chickens the moment the puck goes into their zone and there is any kind of forecheck.

Apotheosis

Mar 27, 2014
Toronto, Ontario
This year is when I start calling for Babcock's firing if he's another first round exit. I'll give him the benefit of the doubt for the Washington series and a slight nudge for the Boston series. But three first round exits in a row compounded by the multitude of first round exits before his Leafs tenure? Can't defend that.

Reactions: ToMaLe

BoredBrandonPridham

Aug 9, 2011
This year is when I start calling for Babcock's firing if he's another first round exit. I'll give him the benefit of the doubt for the Washington series and a slight nudge for the Boston series. But three first round exits in a row compounded by the multitude of first round exits before his Leafs tenure? Can't defend that.

Babcock certainly can defend himself against the multitude of first round exits before his Leafs tenure. And certainly against the ones where over half the team are rookies and sophomores.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Don't you have to win a playoff round first before you win the Cup?.

Playoff experience is gained by going deep in the playoffs not bowing out in round #1 to be considered playoff hardened and experienced.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad