When will the Canucks win a couple of rounds?

When is the soonest you expect the Canucks to win two playoff rounds?

• this season (not counting the play-in round)

• 20/21

• 21/22

• 22/23

• 23/24

• after 23/24

Results are only viewable after voting.

Lindgren

Jun 30, 2005
I'm very interested in what people are thinking about the future success or lack of success of the team.

Some posters support current management. How soon do they think the Canucks will be going deep into the playoffs?

Some are critical of the regime. How long do they think it will take for the franchise to change direction and become truly competitive?

I'm not confident in what's going on now. I think that it'll take a change of direction and a new management group to create a window that includes contributions from players on ELCs and a relative absence of bad contracts. I could see a scenario in which the Canucks are reaching the conference finals in 23/24, but I think it will probably take longer, so my vote is the last option: after 23/24.

Jyrki21

2021-12-05
Sponsor
The Canucks have only won two playoff rounds in the same season three times in their history, keep in mind. Let's not act like it's a given for any team in its development cycle to do this at some point. There are too many teams in the league and way too much luck involved to really be able to expect it (just look at the the West Coast Express teams, who I think get unfairly maligned and were easily good enough to do real damage).

Didalee Hed

I’m trying to understand
Sep 14, 2019
The Canucks have only won two playoff rounds in the same season three times in their history, keep in mind. Let's not act like it's a given for any team in its development cycle to do this at some point. There are too many teams in the league and way too much luck involved to really be able to expect it (just look at the the West Coast Express teams, who I think get unfairly maligned and were easily good enough to do real damage).
So Vancouver has never lost the western/campbell conference final

I think I knew that but never really thought about it

Jyrki21

2021-12-05
Sponsor
So Vancouver has never lost the western/campbell conference final

I think I knew that but never really thought about it
Yep, it's kind of a weird distinction. They've barely even lost any games in the third round – each of those three series went 4-1. It's really un-Canucky, all things considered.

It's one of the reasons, though, when people on this site often ascribe "3rd round or better" as some sort of benchmark of success, I really wonder what league they've been watching. 4/31 (soon 32) is not really a realistic benchmark of anything.

Reactions: Didalee Hed

Lindgren

Jun 30, 2005
Yep, it's kind of a weird distinction. They've barely even lost any games in the third round – each of those three series went 4-1. It's really un-Canucky, all things considered.

It's one of the reasons, though, when people on this site often ascribe "3rd round or better" as some sort of benchmark of success, I really wonder what league they've been watching. 4/31 (soon 32) is not really a realistic benchmark of anything.

I was trying to come up with some kind of clear proxy for a contender. I considered finishing in the top ten in the regular season, or winning a single round in two out of three seasons, but this seemed simpler. Predicting such a thing is obviously difficult, but I'm confident in saying that it won't happen for several years at least (the historical success of a team with Neil Belland and Andy Schliebner anchoring the defence notwithstanding).

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
22/23

That’s depressing to say...what a waste of Pettersson and company

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
This season. I think a healthy Canucks team that manages to get hot can win some playoff rounds. A team that catches fire might not win the Cup, but it's certainly enough to win a playoff round or two. I think Markstrom + the potential firepower up front can carry this team a bit. But the playoffs are a different beast. That's one reason why it's important to actually be in the playoffs. You can't really fully evaluate players just by their regular seasons.

Bob Long

May 31, 2018
Climax, SK
This season. I think a healthy Canucks team that manages to get hot can win some playoff rounds. A team that catches fire might not win the Cup, but it's certainly enough to win a playoff round or two. I think Markstrom + the potential firepower up front can carry this team a bit. But the playoffs are a different beast. That's one reason why it's important to actually be in the playoffs. You can't really fully evaluate players just by their regular seasons.

^ this. This season is so odd that the Canucks have as good a chance as anyone at getting through the play in and 1st round. They are better on paper than Minni, and if Winnipeg lays out some punishment to Calgary that could be a winnable 7 games against the F'Lame's.

Bojack Horvatman

IAMGROOT
Jun 15, 2016
Honestly I believe this year is our best shot to win a few rounds. Edler and Tanev are still around and, the team hasn't had any cap casualties yet.

Having superstars on ElCs and spending to the cap to build a playoff calibre team is the easiest part of turning a team around. It's the honeymoon phase. Once the superstars get paid the real challenge of turning a team into a contender begins. Many teams take a step back or don't progress at this point. Toronto and Winnepeg are examples this year. Teams have trouble to keep the team as good because of the cap, but they actually need to improve the team to turn it into a contender.

Lucky for us, the Pacific division is very winnable the next 2-3 years. With our young core and if Markstom's play doesn't fall off a cliff, making the playoffs should not be a problem. Succeeding in the playoffs will come down to how well the cap is managed, How well prospects are developed, and improving the blue line.

I am toxic

. . . even in small doses
Oct 24, 2014
Vancouver
This thread is . . . premature.

And by premature, I don't mean it's a premie.

Like, it's not even a glint in it's mother's eye yet.

Try this. Go and watch a VGK playoff game from the last two playoffs. Then imagine our team. In the playoffs.

Then, when the tears have stopped flowing, and the kleenex is scattered like confetti upon the floor, take a deep breath. And have a cookie.

I promise, by the time you are done eating it, you'll feel right as rain.

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
If we beat the Wild, I think we build on that momentum. We could do it this year, and I remain positive that a nearly healthy Canucks team can thrash around and win a few rounds. I am curious to see who makes it out of the play-in rounds, that could make a lot of difference there too.

Just A Bit Outside

Playoffs??!
Mar 6, 2010
Team won’t get out of the first round cause Green is a terrible coach.

Cap hell next year so will be wasting prime ELC years for EP and QH before this team smells the 2nd round.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Based on management and the current makeup of the team: it’s going to be a long while.
This coming (if it’s played) summer playoffs will be this team’s best chance for success for several years. We are in a cap situation that will force us to lose better (younger) players to keep older lesser players, because of the horrid contracts the lesser players have. Take out Markstrom and Tanev and we are worse. Is that even arguable? To keep those guys we have to give up our future (prospects and high picks) as sweetener to dump the lesser players’. No matter what we do we get worse. There is no other option.
Benning/Wisebrod have created a situation where we can only become worse. It’s just insane our owner allowed what those two have done.

Reactions: y2kcanucks

Intangibos

High-End Intangibos
Apr 5, 2010
Burnaby
Certainly not until we get out from under the bad contracts.

And then once Hughes and Pettersson aren't on ELCs anymore we'll get punished if we still have GMDS in charge given his inability to sign anyone to a quality contract.

I think we have a decent chance to win a few rounds this year, but it's not in the bag either. If we get swept or something crazy like that it might be the swift kick in the behind this ownership so desperately needs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad