When will Sharks make the playoffs

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
Also very difficult because other teams in our division could improve drastically. The Oilers will have McJesus and the Coyotes have one of the best prospect pools in the league. I think the division standings will look like this next year:

Ducks
Sharks
Kings
Flames
Canucks
Oilers
Yotes

Yah. Honestly, did not really think of that .. :) One team you did forget is the Stars, I think they should be in the same group as the above.

I think without any changes on any of those teams, we are at the same level as the Canucks and Flames. I think those two over-performed last year while we had a really bad year. The Oilers with McDavid will be good, but they still have holes on D. If they do get a Babcock/McLellan coaching them, there is a good chance that they do make the playoffs.

But you are right though, we can get back to our 2013-14 form but if the other teams make improvements, we can still miss the playoffs.

HydroF

Mar 27, 2014
Vacaville
I don't see any reason to expect improvement next season or any time beyond that at this point. Absolutely pathetic prospect pool. Youth not doing anything to inspire high expectations. Older vets still unmovable. Personally have absolutely no confidence in the GM. Coaching situation unclear.

Will probably just continue to sit outside the playoffs until Marleau and Thornton's contracts expire, then we will start to decline and actually blow up the team. Then sit in the basement for a few years soaking up picks, then start moving back into playoffs after that.

Sharksrule04

Jul 23, 2010
New York, NY
Yah. Honestly, did not really think of that .. :) One team you did forget is the Stars, I think they should be in the same group as the above.

I think without any changes on any of those teams, we are at the same level as the Canucks and Flames. I think those two over-performed last year while we had a really bad year. The Oilers with McDavid will be good, but they still have holes on D. If they do get a Babcock/McLellan coaching them, there is a good chance that they do make the playoffs.

But you are right though, we can get back to our 2013-14 form but if the other teams make improvements, we can still miss the playoffs.

Didn't include the Stars because they aren't in the Pacific division. The Oilers are the team I have a hard time placing. A player of McDavid's potential can jump a team into the playoffs by himself. If they fill their defense with a signing or two I could actually see them jumping to 3rd in the division next year.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
Didn't include the Stars because they aren't in the Pacific division. The Oilers are the team I have a hard time placing. A player of McDavid's potential can jump a team into the playoffs by himself. If they fill their defense with a signing or two I could actually see them jumping to 3rd in the division next year.

Ah gotcha. I included them because of the new playoff format .. :)

richo

Mar 14, 2011
Bay Area
True. HOwever, unless the young guys improve drastically and some quality guys are acquired I could actually see the Sharks in the basement (though the Coyotes could make the basement all theirs too).

TheDanceOfMaternity

Jul 13, 2006
San Francisco, CA
I don't see any reason to expect improvement next season or any time beyond that at this point. Absolutely pathetic prospect pool. Youth not doing anything to inspire high expectations. Older vets still unmovable. Personally have absolutely no confidence in the GM. Coaching situation unclear.

Will probably just continue to sit outside the playoffs until Marleau and Thornton's contracts expire, then we will start to decline and actually blow up the team. Then sit in the basement for a few years soaking up picks, then start moving back into playoffs after that.

Yeesh, but you know what I kind of agree.

I guess maybe I could have answered next year as we could squeak in and get bounced in the first round (whoopdeedoo), but even with a few big additions (which would most likely come by trade so it probably wouldn't make the team way better) I just don't see any reason to believe the whole team will do better. Occasional bright spots like Tierney, Karlsson, Hertl sure. The whole team? Pretty meh.

Can't even rebuild if we want for at least 2 more years, and then who knows how many more that would take.

It could be a long time.

crzymexicanbeer

Oct 24, 2013
Davis
gonna be three. we've been on the decline towards missing the playoffs the last few seasons, it will take some time to get back that way again with the GM we have.

lol what?

We were one of the top teams last year. 5 vs 5 it could have been argued we were the best. If not for LA getting hot, we would have easily made it to the conference finals and gave Chicago a good run for their money.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad