When will Patty O get his respect?

Status
Not open for further replies.

leafaholix*

What critics?

This is a guy that's been getting a lot of attention since the age of 16, nobody's doubting his talent. I can't figure out what you're getting at. It seems like you're making up a reason and rave about how underrated your prospect is.

He's not underrated, the guy gets the respect for his on-ice abilities. The doubt lies in his off-ice situation which seems to be clearing up as of late.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
There were critics over his defensive play. And people think Minnesota still needs a franchise player and I think that Patty O is a defensive player. And he has shown he can lead a team and that there is no off ice issues anymore.

Sting

Feb 8, 2004
Gaborik is the Wild's franchise player. O'Sullivan is highly regarded by most people, and maybe even overrated at times. He gets a lot of respect if you ask me.

leafaholix*

DoobieDoobieDo said:
There were critics over his defensive play.
Well, we hear the same critiques about every other uber talented offensive prospect.

And people think Minnesota still needs a franchise player and I think that Patty O is a defensive player.
You keep using the term "franchise player"... well, umm... Marian Gaborik is the closest thing you have in the whole organization to a true franchise player. Patrick O'Sullivan is a good prospect, but he's no franchise forward.

And he has shown he can lead a team and that there is no off ice issues anymore.
There may be off-ice issues, you don't know that. And I don't know that there are off-ice issues, so it's impossible to say either way.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Leafaholix said:
What critics?

This is a guy that's been getting a lot of attention since the age of 16, nobody's doubting his talent. I can't figure out what you're getting at. It seems like you're making up a reason and rave about how underrated your prospect is.

He's not underrated, the guy gets the respect for his on-ice abilities. The doubt lies in his off-ice situation which seems to be clearing up as of late.

Clearly O'Sullivan has/had his share of critics, otherwise he wouldn't have been a low 2nd round draft pick. A quiet situation off-ice, great stats, improvement in his deficencies, and noticable leadership would suggest those critics had it wrong.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Sting004 said:
Gaborik is the Wild's franchise player. O'Sullivan is highly regarded by most people, and maybe even overrated at times. He gets a lot of respect if you ask me.

I don't know what you can overrate about him. He's one of the most talented prospects in the world, and since that's his bread & butter I don't see the issue.

leafaholix*

Rabid Ranger said:
I don't know what you can overrate about him. He's one of the most talented prospects in the world, and since that's his bread & butter I don't see the issue.
You're notorious for overrating the Minnesota prospects. Noting guys like Josh Harding and Patrick O'Sullivan as potential "franchise players"... among other stuff.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Leafaholix said:
You're notorious for overrating the Minnesota prospects. Noting guys like Josh Harding and Patrick O'Sullivan as potential "franchise players"... among other stuff.

Me? What the hell are you talking about? I'm not a Wild fan in the least.

MePutPuckInNet

Jan 1, 2004
Toronto
Visit site
"Marian Gaborik is the closest thing you have in the whole organization to a true franchise player. Patrick O'Sullivan is a good prospect, but he's no franchise forward."

Is that right? Gee....then I wonder what the hell had Marian so worried at prospects camp over the summer.....

leafaholix*

Rabid Ranger said:
Me? What the hell are you talking about? I'm not a Wild fan in the least.
Hehe, my bad. I though koala just added an avatar.

Sorry my man, my fault.

mcarrick16

May 13, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
but the thing is why a guy like Carter is always over Patrik O'sullivan?? O'sullivan always had way better stats then Carter but peaple juste put him in front of patty! But i do not think that O'sullivan is a franchise player but he will be a heck of a player later in th nhl

leafaholix*

cujorulz said:
but the thing is why a guy like Carter is always over Patrik O'sullivan?? O'sullivan always had way better stats then Carter but peaple juste put him in front of patty! But i do not think that O'sullivan is a franchise player but he will be a heck of a player later in th nhl
If you've seen Jeff Carter play, you'd understand why.

I think he has franchise player potential, much like a North American Mats Sundin.

TML

Dec 13, 2003
Hamilton
O'Sullivan will be a very solid, speedy winger for the Wild in the near future. I can see O'Sullivan being a top line player for them.

Gaborik, O'Sullivan, Bouchard, Koivu, Schultz, Burns, Wallin, Dupuis, and Thelen will ALL be an integral part of the Wild's future.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
Exactly, TML...

To me, I think Harding has dropped a bit since I last talked about him after some flukey plays in the AHL this year and hasn't been quiet the goaltender we need.

But to me, O'Sullivan is nearly the same class as Gaborik.

When people were describing Kastitsyn last year, they were saying Gaborik...So is Kastitsyn a franchise player or not, which is what I am basing this off of.

I don't think so Sting004...One of the things I've noticed is people mentioning Schremp and all and consider O'Sullivan the only offensive talent on an IceDog team, so why all the assists?

I think he gets some credit but I think we can put to rest that he needs major defensive work. I think defensively when he gets to Minnesota he'll be better.

And have you ever seen him play Leafs?

Why is Carter over Patrick?

Epsilon

#basta
Oct 26, 2002
South Cackalacky
DoobieDoobieDo said:
Exactly, TML...

To me, I think Harding has dropped a bit since I last talked about him after some flukey plays in the AHL this year and hasn't been quiet the goaltender we need.

But to me, O'Sullivan is nearly the same class as Gaborik.

When people were describing Kastitsyn last year, they were saying Gaborik...So is Kastitsyn a franchise player or not, which is what I am basing this off of.

I don't think so Sting004...One of the things I've noticed is people mentioning Schremp and all and consider O'Sullivan the only offensive talent on an IceDog team, so why all the assists?

I think he gets some credit but I think we can put to rest that he needs major defensive work. I think defensively when he gets to Minnesota he'll be better.

And have you ever seen him play Leafs?

Why is Carter over Patrick?

Neither Kastitsyn nor O'Sullivan can carry Gaborik's jockstrap, in my opinion. And Carter is above O'Sullivan because he brings more to the table and because when people evaluate prospects, ability to transfer their game to the pros is important. The top prospects list is not supposed to be some linear ordering of the CHL scoring race.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
Not being determinetal to Carter, but what does he bring to the table that O'Sullivan doesn't? I guess physical play for one thing, he probably is a more physical player but...

And you don't think O'Sullivan's ability to transfer to the NHL is going to be good? Why?

Plus I know it's not linear, because you have a guy like Hunter scoring a bunch load of points or guys like Foy or Locke that'll be good players but nothing like they were with the 67s...

leafaholix*

DoobieDoobieDo said:
Not being determinetal to Carter, but what does he bring to the table that O'Sullivan doesn't? I guess physical play for one thing, he probably is a more physical player but...

And you don't think O'Sullivan's ability to transfer to the NHL is going to be good? Why?

Plus I know it's not linear, because you have a guy like Hunter scoring a bunch load of points or guys like Foy or Locke that'll be good players but nothing like they were with the 67s...
Because it's a higher hill to climb for offensive prospects to make it to the NHL. Carter has the offense, but he also has tremendous size (wait until he grows into his frame, yikes), he's a strong skater, long reach, good defensive player, sharp as a tac in all three zones, and once he grows he'll be a force physically, not that he already isn't.

His upside is higher than O'Sullivan, he's also a safer prospect.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
Okay...

There is that size issue again that I don't want to tackle it but as I keep reinterating in this thread, O'Sullivan isn't as bad on defense as people say he is!

I agree that it is harder to transit from the OHL to the AHL to the NHL offensively but I think O'Sullivan is going to be a 1st line player for the Wild and has a tremendous upside...More than Carter? Hell no, but more than what people have suggested.

I wish we could see what O'Sullivan could do on a team like the London Knights where he would have solid linemates, but you know what? He isn't and he'll have to work with what he has.

The other thing I don't think people also realize is that O'Sullivan is a dual threat. He can not only shoot the puck extremely well but he can set up plays as well. Evidence of the assists he has.

My problem Leafs is that people have dogged O'Sullivan, questioning his 1) defense 2) playing on the IceDogs, which is a weak team that might bolster his numbers because of the ice time, but I don't think that is the problem.

MePutPuckInNet

Jan 1, 2004
Toronto
Visit site
http://www.canoe.ca/NewsStand/LondonFreePress/Sports/2004/10/23/681658.html

Tie halts Knights' run at record for season-opening wins

JIM CRESSMAN, Free Press Sports Reporter 2004-10-23 02:51:01

"It just sucks," Schremp said after watching former Mississauga teammate Patrick O'Sullivan tie the score again with his seventh goal of the season with only 1:03 left in regulation time.

The Knights buzzed the IceDogs net during the five-minute overtime but couldn't beat goalie David Shantz.

"We're up 3-2 and we still can't hold Sully down," Schremp said of O'Sullivan.

"Syvie (Knights defenceman Danny Syvret) took everything away from him, held his stick even but he just pulled a great one out of his butt."

Last edited by a moderator:

MePutPuckInNet

Jan 1, 2004
Toronto
Visit site
THE MISSISSAUGA NEWS
IceDogs winless in four

GARY MCCARTHY
Oct 29, 2004

BARRIE -- Mississauga IceDogs' Patrick O'Sullivan put on another great show here last night.
Unfortunately for IceDog fans some of his teammates lacked the same effort.

As a result, IceDogs dropped a 5-4 decision to Barrie Colts before 3,338 spectators here at the Molson Centre in Ontario Hockey League action.

"I guess it just wasn't good enough," said O'Sullivan, who scored three times and earned an assist on Mississauga's fourth goal.

"I don't know what the problem is, but every one of us has to be ready to play every night," the star centre continued. "Tonight, not everyone was ready. I just hope these games don't come back to haunt us later in the season."

Last edited by a moderator:

MePutPuckInNet

Jan 1, 2004
Toronto
Visit site
My point in sharing these 2 articles above...is that even if a whole lot of people DON'T know how good this kid is....there's a lot of people who do. And nobody that really knows him, or has seen Patrick play has ANY doubts about his ability, talent, skill, psychological makeup, desire, heart or intentions.

...and not for nothing, if some people who've never seen him play don't respect him as they should - his opponents out on the ice sure as hell do....they have to if they ever want to hold him down...but sometimes, even that doesn't work...just ask Schremp, he'll tell ya...

Sammy*

Guys who light it up in Junior are a dime a dozen. Frankly, what he is doing is no surprise to me, nor do I doubt its a surprise to virtually any of the scouts/GM's who passed him over numerous times at the draft.
IMO, what he is doing now does not prove jack-squat, nor does it suggest all those scouts/GM's were wrong.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Leafaholix said:
Hehe, my bad. I though koala just added an avatar.

Sorry my man, my fault.

No problem. By the way, something happened with your PM and I couldn't view it. I can guess what it was about, so don't worry about it. :banana:

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Sammy said:
Guys who light it up in Junior are a dime a dozen. Frankly, what he is doing is no surprise to me, nor do I doubt its a surprise to virtually any of the scouts/GM's who passed him over numerous times at the draft.
IMO, what he is doing now does not prove jack-squat, nor does it suggest all those scouts/GM's were wrong.

You're right, what O'Sullivan is doing on the ice shouldn't be a surprise, and based on offensive talent alone, he would have been a top ten pick. The dominant issues surrounded his character and off-ice distractions. Those issues have seemingly died down and if are not an afterthought, not nearly as relevant a concern. In that sense, he is proving his detractors wrong, because those issues are not affecting his performance, or getting in the way of his development.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->