When will Mcdavid media hype stop?

Mc5RingsAndABeer

5-14-6-1
May 25, 2011
Probably not for his entire career, which would be great for the Oilers.

He'll handle it fine. The kid is a pure professional.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Probably not for his entire career, which would be great for the Oilers.

He'll handle it find. The kid is a pure professional.

This.

If McDavid lives up to expectations the media hype wont stop. It's still going for Crosby. Oiler fans are going to have to get used to it sooner or later.

JordanGalhanth

Apr 21, 2012
When we trade him to the leafs for Kadri

Oh please. Even as a joke, this is just repulsive.

And as bad as the hype is now - think of how bad it would've been if the Leafs had won the lottery.

OY yoi yoi yoi yoi yoi...

Senor Catface

Jul 25, 2006
If it goes on as long as Crosby, we'll be happy because that means he's panned out in a similar way.

BlowbyBlow

Jan 22, 2011
If it goes on as long as Crosby, we'll be happy because that means he's panned out in a similar way.

You rarely find someone so driven and focused like Crosby/Mcdavid and so mature as well as talented. That's why there touted so high. Most guys who are extremely talented don't have the character attributes those two have and that goes a long way.

5 14 6 1

We are the 11.5%
Sep 15, 2010
Alberta
I just hope our media lays off of him a bit. They definitely have been better of late. I hate when they ask the other players about him every interview. Puts the kid in a spotlight and you can tell he just wants to be one of the guys, he's not looking for the circus.

Narnia

Mar 1, 2002
Surrey, BC
picasaweb.google.com
I just hope our media lays off of him a bit. They definitely have been better of late. I hate when they ask the other players about him every interview. Puts the kid in a spotlight and you can tell he just wants to be one of the guys, he's not looking for the circus.
Vancouver media is even worse. Last night, they talked to McDavid and last question they asked is what he thought about the Sedins. Media in Vancouver likes asking about the Sedins whenever they interview a player from the other team.

nightfighter

Aug 31, 2008
They have been shielding him from the autograph hounds at least- instead of pulling up beside the hotel they'd park inside the underground parkade first.

I believe Mcdavid actually doesn't mind the autograph and fan stuff. He probably prefers it over the media scrums. The difference is that he recognizes what it is like to be a fan and what it means to them that he signs their cards or takes pictures with them. When it's a scrum of reporters asking him recycled questions, it makes it all about him and that's when you see him uncomfortable.

Oil Gauge

5+14+6+1=97
Apr 9, 2009
I honestly don't think it affects him. All the outside pressure is probably dwarfed by the pressure that kid puts on himself game in and game out. He obviously expects a lot out of himself.

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
The Media Hype will probably die out around mid-November.

We will never ever hear about McDavid ever again, no matter what he manages to accomplish.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
I honestly don't think it affects him. All the outside pressure is probably dwarfed by the pressure that kid puts on himself game in and game out. He obviously expects a lot out of himself.

I think the thing to remember is he's been the next Gretzky/Crosby since he was how old? If it didn't break him as a 14 or 15 year old then I really don't think it's an issue now.

This isn't the mid-90's either where all of a sudden come your pro career you start getting a lot of media attention. We are in a new era with twitter, facebook, blogs, hockey forums etc.. If you are a great player the media will break you before you make it.

Bangers

May 31, 2006
Hopefully never. 10 years from now, I want them to ask Oiler rookies what it's like to play with the best player in the history of the game and Oilers' opponents what it's like to play against such a dominant player.

kurri_17

Jul 10, 2006
K-W
If Crosby is the template we go by, probably never.

Gretzky is STILL followed by media...
Never is the answer. The daily crazy fest... it will die down a bit when it because normal for him to do amazing stuff. They the crazy fest will be every time he doesn't score for two games, when he is seen with a new girl, when he has dandruff at a speaking event...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad