When will he anoint Kadri the top center on the team?

Grandrift145

Jan 23, 2009
Uptop
Hopefully not till next season. Let Kadri have a full (half) season of playing away from top shutdown players. If Bozak wants more than 3 million let him walk this summer and have a centre line up of Kadri, Grabovski, McClement, insert goon. This would give us two solid scoring lines and a true shutdown third line, letting Grabovski return to be an offensive centre.

Lupul - Kadri - Kessel
JVR - Grabovski - Frattin
Kulemin - McClement - Komarov
McLaren - Goon - Orr

how many goons do we need

keep in mind that Colbourn will more than likely make the team next year

Bozak probably won't be back

i hope Mcarthur is back

also Carter Ashton will probably compeat for a bottom 6 role

Steckel won't be back

and we can't Keep putting two heavyweights in the lineup

calcal798

Jun 2, 2010
London
It'd be nice if we could get one upgrade on our top line at least.

But next year I'd want to see:

Lupul-Kadri-Frattin
JvR-Bozak-Kessel
Kuli-Grabo-Komarov

Really would love to see someone to replace Bozak, like Stastny.

But I'd rather see Kadri's line out there getting the minutes against other top lines.

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
I think when Lupul gets back at the very latest Carlyle should put Kadri with Kessel,but would like to see it happen immediately.I wonder where others stand on this?

Hopefully Carlyle keeps Kessel away from Kadri as long as possible. The last thing Kessel needs is a open ice centre who's weak on the puck, and even weaker on the draws.

When Lupul returns, get him on a line with Kadri & Frattin, and watch them score.

AvroArrow

69 for Papi
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
He should experiment with it, give it a try and see how it works. Only problem is Kadri is horrible on the faceoffs. Bozak's able to win them, get us control of the puck and puts JVR / Kessel in a position where they can score. With Kadri there were mostly going to be playing defence when play resumes off whistles. If he can work on his faceoffs, get a little tougher on them i can see it happening.

Also it helps to split talent up sometimes. When Kessel plays the top line, Kadri will be out against weaker D men. With all our attack on 1 line it's easier to line match it.

JAMmer124

Independent Living
Aug 13, 2010
Welland, Ontario
So, you want to take Kadri out of a position of success, and throw him into a position in a "sink or swim" scenario?

Leave him the hell alone right now and let him do his thing with MacA and Frattin. He's still young, he needs to have a lot of confidence in order to be on top of his game, right now he has it because he knows that he can control the game against 2nd and 3rd D pairings on most nights.

There's nothing wrong with having more than one line scoring, yknow. JvR and Kessel on one line, Kadri with Frattin and Mac on another, then a solid two-way like with Grabo and Kule.

3 "good" lines >>>> 1 "great", 1 "good" and 1 "meh" line.

nikolastojanovic

Mar 9, 2013
Kitchener, Ontario
its time that Bozak is replaced, Kadri on the topline :) .. Mac/Bozak/Kuli on the third line would be a killer line, that can pay aganist the other teams top line with Bozak and Kuli being great two-way forwards. Finally having a defined role would make this line good checking line and scoring from time to time ..

Putting Kadri with Kessel and JVR all have great hands and high hockey IQ which after a couple of games we would see the chemistry start to flow ....

Frats/Garbo/and Lups would be a killer second line ..

Mindrust

Feb 28, 2013
Kadri and Kessel didn't have much chemistry last year.

He's better off with Frattin and another winger. Mac is working well right now so let's not change anything. If any "promotions" come his way, it should be next season.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Kadri breathes new life into linemates, just how MGK worked. Its obvious Kadri is the 1C and it also obvious that Grabo is not a shutdown line kinda guy so, 2C.

Lups Kadri Kess
JVR Grabs Frats
Mac Bozak Kule

Alt. run Grabo top line again and see. He is a waste of 5.5 doing what he is doing now but at the same time you can appreciate how void defensively the Bozak line is last night, they cant even compete with other top lines, I will even go as far as to say thats the line that needs sheltered minutes

Last edited:

Will Billiams

Jun 12, 2012
So, you want to take Kadri out of a position of success, and throw him into a position in a "sink or swim" scenario?

Leave him the hell alone right now and let him do his thing with MacA and Frattin. He's still young, he needs to have a lot of confidence in order to be on top of his game, right now he has it because he knows that he can control the game against 2nd and 3rd D pairings on most nights.

There's nothing wrong with having more than one line scoring, yknow. JvR and Kessel on one line, Kadri with Frattin and Mac on another, then a solid two-way like with Grabo and Kule.

3 "good" lines >>>> 1 "great", 1 "good" and 1 "meh" line.

This sums it up perfectly I think.

SteveV*

As far as faceoffs, Kadri could still become a good draw man. Grabo was horrible on draws a couple years ago and he's now over 50%.

sommervr

Feb 25, 2013
Kessel and Kadri were getting some playing time last night together when we needed a goal. If they played together all the time we would get cycled bad.
Maybe someday but Kadri needs another year in the weight room

leafspring*

Incidentally, Kulyomin has the 2nd highest Corsi Relative Quality of Competition in the league for players >= 10GP at 2.144, just shy of Pavel Datsyuk's 2.229. Grabosky is 4th.

Compare this to last year, where Kulyomin was 74th in the league at 0.856 and Grabovski was 118th. They were 171/172 the year Kulyomin scored all of those goals.

This tells us two things:

1. Quality of competition matters - a lot. Good depth consequently works.
  2. Kolya & Misha have the biggest defensive responsibility in the league, and at -3/-4 really appear to be succeeding strongly in the role.

Dion Phaneuf is 9th in the league.

These guys are matched hard against high quality competition. Their performance has to be measured from that basis.

This point doesn't get the credit it should i think because of the complexity of understanding these stats. good post though.

leafspring*

Hopefully Carlyle keeps Kessel away from Kadri as long as possible. The last thing Kessel needs is a open ice centre who's weak on the puck, and even weaker on the draws.

When Lupul returns, get him on a line with Kadri & Frattin, and watch them score.

We are winning with a veteran leader/top scorer out the entire season essentially,and thats pretty cool. We will fit Lupes in somewhere i guess.:)

leafspring*

You are wrong unless you count 2 or 3 minutes as significant. That's the way I remember it. Can point me to some proof other than a blind accusation that everyone else is wrong because you are the only one paying attention?

Thats what I'm thinking.

Hey bro nothing in that game last night that makes me look like i know what i'm talking about lol. Just as i suspected too . Kadri had some minutes against top compitition. He wasn't very good either though. Never had close to the coverage i was suggesting he had against Boston though.

I'm lookin really wrong, but don't tell anyone ok ;)

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
This point doesn't get the credit it should i think because of the complexity of understanding these stats. good post though.

They shut down well the problem is that they are a little better offensively. 5.5 is expensive to shave 40% off these guys point production on the year. Enter interactivity to say corsi is terrible and grabo sucks.

Mc should C that shutdown line not Grabs but that puts Bozak out of a job if you shift them like that.

leafspring*

They shut down well the problem is that they are a little better offensively. 5.5 is expensive to shave 40% off these guys point production on the year. Enter interactivity to say corsi is terrible and grabo sucks.

Mc should C that shutdown line not Grabs but that puts Bozak out of a job if you shift them like that.

Do you think they are moving Bozak before the trade deadline. I think they might in a multi player deal going out.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Do you think they are moving Bozak before the trade deadline. I think they might in a multi player deal going out.

I would wager money on what you just said. Bozak, Komi, Connolly, Kostka, Holzer, Liles on that list.

Lupuls not going nor Kessel, JVR, Mac and Kules really none of the rest can be moved because they the reasons for success this year. Some may argue the guys on the Grabo line but as far as winning with those corsi numbers that is probably Carlyles most coveted line of them all (being the defensive minded stickler he is)

leafspring*

I would wager money on what you just said. Bozak, Komi, Connolly, Kostka, Holzer, Liles on that list.

Lupuls not going nor Kessel, JVR, Mac and Kules really none of the rest can be moved because they the reasons for success this year. Some may argue the guys on the Grabo line but as far as winning with those corsi numbers that is probably Carlyles most coveted line of them all (being the defensive minded stickler he is)

Interesting you put Holzer in there,because he has been getting chewed up heavily to the point he is a minus 8 today after a minus 3 last night.Gardiner being called up in his place is something i was thinking about.

They gave him a look,and he now goes back down,and works on a few things is my thinking.

Gardiner is maybe playing to much of a risky game for Carlyles liking.He puts up alot of minus numbers even when he gets points.Maybe Eakin's is best getting that out of him some before we promote him. Holzer should be sent back down i believe too.

Time to put Komi back in the line-up.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad