Speculation: When will Hakstol be replaced as the Flyers head coach?

When will Hakstol be replaced as the Flyers head coach?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Garbage Goal

Apr 1, 2009
I'm floored that he has lasted this long.

I'll be surprised if he ever gets another head coach position at the NHL.

The season was over before it started with Hakstol at the helm.

Fun note, out of our last three coaches before Hak, two of them were also nepotistic nobody hires of guys with no NHL HC experience. Berube has not had a HC gig since and Stevens only just got one last year and his team is already doing poorly and fans already want him fired. It’s also with LA, so I’m not entirely convinced some relational bias or nepotism didn’t help his hiring in LA initially. IIRC at least.

So, yeah, I would not be surprised if this nepotistic no-name NHL HC hire went on to not get another coaching job. Or get one more shot and do horribly. Just like the last two.

Garbage Goal

Apr 1, 2009
On that note, read the last couple post-game gdt’s on the Kings board. They unanimously hate Stevens and have the same exact complaints as we did years ago (no system/structure/identity, no passion or inspiration from a dull coach, etc.). Also some hilarious posts. My favorite being “John Stevens’ favorite Halloween candy is candy corn”.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
The smart thing for Hextall to do would be to fire Hak midseason and give Knoblauch the interim tag for the rest of the year. It's gives Hextall a chance to evaluate Knoblauch as a potential head coach for a decent stretch of games. If it doesn't work out Hextall will get another chance to find his guy (likely his last one).

I'm fully expecting Hak to finish out the year and at some point there will be a turnaround that Hexy can convince himself is sustainable- much like the PK.

Ruck Over

When the revolution comes, pants will do you no gd
Apr 19, 2016
Philadelphia, Pa
The smart thing for Hextall to do would be to fire Hak midseason and give Knoblauch the interim tag for the rest of the year. It's gives Hextall a chance to evaluate Knoblauch as a potential head coach for a decent stretch of games. If it doesn't work out Hextall will get another chance to find his guy (likely his last one).

I'm fully expecting Hak to finish out the year and at some point there will be a turnaround that Hexy can convince himself is sustainable- much like the PK.
It would be depressing if the Flyers barely missed the playoffs (within 4 points, unfavorable tie-breaker) but finished the season on some winning streak such as 12-3-5. That would probably be the kind of cover Dino Haphazard needs for GMRH to "feel good" about the performance of the team at season's end.

Anything short of a Bill Barber type mutiny probably keeps everything the status quo. /sadtrombone

Last edited:

Forshem

Apr 22, 2015
I think he is fired after this season.
They talked on the swedish broadcast at the game vs Islanders that the flyers should hire Rikard Grönborg (coaches the swedish national team) when his contract expires after this season. Seems far fetched but he is really good. Won the world championship twice in a row and so on.

captainpaxil

Dec 2, 2008

See thats the reason i go gordon or hitch. You already have ypur inside guy grooming in knob. You don't want to hand him the reigns midstream unless you're giving up on the season which further complicates what i think is the issue.

marcsson68

Jan 23, 2018
Actually I thought - and wrote - he wouldn´t survive this week as to me it looked like he had the team against him.

Although I am not putting all the blame upon him, it´s a miracle that he still is in place. Could be they don´t want to start the road trip wasting the impact of a new coach.

Reactions: Rebels57

Lotusflower

Tha Snake, Tha Rat, Tha Cat, Tha Dog
Dec 23, 2013
They talked on the swedish broadcast at the game vs Islanders that the flyers should hire Rikard Grönborg (coaches the swedish national team) when his contract expires after this season. Seems far fetched but he is really good. Won the world championship twice in a row and so on.
I've been calling for an international hire for 2 1/2 years. This team is historically xenophobic tho so its a pipe dream.

Last edited:

achdumeingute

Jun 28, 2011
NorCal
It should be now. Voted the off-season.

I'm a biiiig supporter of what hextall has done in his tenure. IMO he has positioned the roster to be great over the next few years with the way the NHL CBA is now....but this coach has no excuse to be here.

If he's here next year...hand me a pitchfork and torch.

Last edited:

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP

There is someone over there in Scandinavia that @Appleyard mentioned several months ago - I don't think it was him, though. I can't remember the name.

Lycka till, eller hur?

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Actually Laxdal has a solid AHL record, after a great performance in the WHL.
Doesn't mean he can coach, but it does mean he's more than a joke.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->