Speculation: When will Hakstol be replaced as the Flyers head coach?

When will Hakstol be replaced as the Flyers head coach?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

mja

Everything was beautiful, and nothing hurt
Jan 7, 2005
Lucy the Elephant's Belly
Gonna quote myself from a previous thread because this is relevant:

I think he'll be 3rd all-time when his tenure is finished.

This is depressing. And I'm going to say this summer, after yet another first round exit, making him the 2nd longest tenured coach in Flyers history in front of a guy like Keenan who took a young hungry team full of 19-25 year olds to the Cup finals.

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
This is depressing. And I'm going to say this summer, after yet another first round exit, making him the 2nd longest tenured coach in Flyers history in front of a guy like Keenan who took a young hungry team full of 19-25 year olds to the Cup finals.

Yeah, that's the thing that is just unconscionable.

giphy.gif

FlyersMania2

#FireHakstol
Jul 4, 2007
NJ
I think that's cause it takes a lot to get these guys to give up their jobs-for-life as college coaches.

Quinn makes more than Lavi, for example.

Eh- if they are great at being NHL coaches (which is a pretty coveted position), they can easily go coach a college hockey team. What college hockey team is like oh Peter Laviolette wants to coach here? But...nah, let's not bring in a well-known NHL coach whose had success at the highest level.

Hak is Hex's guy - he wanted him here, he will do whatever to keep him here. Hextall has an ego on him and it's costing this franchise years of some of their top players' primes.

flyershockey

Oct 10, 2006
If you're a GM and you fire the coach, the team better get better or your head is next on the chopping block. It's part of the reason I don't think he's gone mid-season. After the end of the season is the earliest I could see it happening.

I don't know how married Hextall is to Hak, but I would imagine he didn't think he would still have a fringe playoff team in year five of his tenure.

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
If you're a GM and you fire the coach, the team better get better of your head is next on the chopping block. It's part of the reason I don't think he's gone mid-season. After the end of the season is the earliest I could see it happening.

I don't know how married Hextall is to Hak, but I would imagine he didn't think he would still have a fringe playoff team in year five of his tenure.

I think Hak gets this year. And if we go out in the first round that will be it.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
What, you mean Keenan's reliance on disgusting youthful energy?

With the shell out, it's less dangerous
Here we are now, don't entertain us
This feels stupid and not courageous
A Torgo, a gong show, a dino, Hak's libido,
Dead's denial, Dead's denial, Dead's denial, Dead's denial, Dead's denial
Dead's denial, Dead's denial, Dead's denial, Dead's denial.

Chuck Downie

Cheese and olive
Jul 11, 2007
World Traveller
With the shell out, it's less dangerous
This feels stupid and not courageous
A Torgo, a gong show, a dino, Hak's libido,
Dead's denial, Dead's denial, Dead's denial, Dead's denial, Dead's denial
Dead's denial, Dead's denial, Dead's denial, Dead's denial.

There needs to be a haha button too. Good job.

Reactions: Rebels57

magnumpi

Roger got goofy with Cancer
Apr 22, 2018
If you're a GM and you fire the coach, the team better get better or your head is next on the chopping block. It's part of the reason I don't think he's gone mid-season. After the end of the season is the earliest I could see it happening.

I don't agree.
Clarke fired several coaches and his head was never on the block.
Holmgren fired a couple coaches.

Only using this example because its on the top of my head but Lameriolo fired many coaches in NJ. Not saying Hextall is on his level, just using that as a quick example because..... it was on the top of my head.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
I don't agree.
Clarke fired several coaches and his head was never on the block.
Holmgren fired a couple coaches.

Only using this example because its on the top of my head but Lameriolo fired many coaches in NJ. Not saying Hextall is on his level, just using that as a quick example because..... it was on the top of my head.

Well, I wouldn't use Clarke as any kind of precedent for other GMs, even Hextall. Clarke had/has a status with this organization that nobody else ever has, and maybe never will again.

The guy defined a team identity that people still seek/clamor for/hold as the ideal decades later.

magnumpi

Apr 22, 2018
Well, I wouldn't use Clarke as any kind of precedent for other GMs, even Hextall. Clarke had/has a status with this organization that nobody else ever has, and maybe never will again.

The guy defined a team identity that people still seek/clamor for/hold as the ideal decades later.

Fine about Clarke

But I'm positive if you examined the annals over the past 25 yrs, you'd find many GM's who fired more than a couple head coaches during their tenure.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Fine about Clarke

But I'm positive if you examined the annals over the past 25 yrs, you'd find many GM's who fired more than a couple head coaches during their tenure.

I wonder how many of them clung to obviously failed coaches for far too long, though? Hextall at this point has to be putting his own ass near the fire to an unnecessary degree thanks to his doubling down on Hak. It's clear he was wrong, and there's really no way for him to save face now. If he's fired in the offseason it will be correctly pointed out that it should've happened a year sooner. If he's fired in the season, it's clear his insistence on keeping the guy was blatantly wrong.

I would wager Homer's botched handling of Lavi at the end factored heavily into his "promotion" process. I'd wager that Hextall is going to put at least 1 strike next to his name thanks to all this.

magnumpi

Apr 22, 2018
I wonder how many of them clung to obviously failed coaches for far too long, though? Hextall at this point has to be putting his own ass near the fire to an unnecessary degree thanks to his doubling down on Hak. It's clear he was wrong, and there's really no way for him to save face now. If he's fired in the offseason it will be correctly pointed out that it should've happened a year sooner. If he's fired in the season, it's clear his insistence on keeping the guy was blatantly wrong.

I would wager Homer's botched handling of Lavi at the end factored heavily into his "promotion" process. I'd wager that Hextall is going to put at least 1 strike next to his name thanks to all this.

We'll see but if he's him soon I don't think its a big deal.
I come from the point of view that this has been a rebuild so I'm not going to getting upset over Hakstol's hire. He wasn't a good coach but the team wasn't competing, so in the grand scheme of things.. who cares. That's how I look at things.

I've supported Hextall's plan/Vision from the beginning and I still do. Rebuilding via the farm system is the system I advocate for hockey and baseball. Bball and football are different setups. But baseball and hockey are very similar.

However, I believe its time to fire Hakstol. We're at the point in this process where he's interfering with the development of the young players. I don't think it was a big problem until this point. I know some may disagree. But yes, now Hakstol is causing problems with the young players.

Also, I'm beginning to doubt there is elite talent in the organizational. I'm talking about young elite players.

For example, lets take LA Kings. Where s our Kopitar or Daoughty? sue me for butchering the spelling of the names.
or where is Kane? Towes? Duncan Keith?
our Ovechkin, Backstrom?
our Sakic, Forsberg, Blake?
our Lidstrom, Yzerman, Federov
our Modano, Hatcher, Hull

and so on ..... I know the rosters better 20 years ago so its easier for me to use older example. But I think that point should be clear???????

I fear we don't have the great talent, the great core that is needed.

So those are my concerns but I Still like Hextall, But, there are cracks in my confidence.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
As far as elite talent goes, last season the Flyers had the league's 2nd leading scorer, the runner up for the Selke trophy who was 6th in the league in ESP, the league's fourth highest scoring dman (who missed 4 games and was barely behind the top 3), another defensemen who led the league in goals, and they also had Voracek and Konency.

NHL.com - Stats

But they barely limped into the playoffs.

Reactions: Beef Invictus

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad