Speculation: When will Hakstol be replaced as the Flyers head coach?

When will Hakstol be replaced as the Flyers head coach?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Zero.

GM's rarely leave coaches as lame ducks in their last season. So this coming summer, guess what happens? The extension. But he will be fired before it's half over.

It's certainly not impossible, but I don't know if even Hextall has the balls to give a coach with zero playoff series wins in four years a three year extension. Do people think Brett killed a North Dakota hooker and Hak helped cover it up? :laugh:

Freddy The Fog

Don't live in the fast lane. Live on the off ramp
Aug 3, 2005
Is any significant quality available to replace him? Not interested in just another person we can bitch about. Who out there has a system that would match our personnel?

Cause until then...one turd is as good as another.

(I would expect Kris Knoblauch to get any interim opening...but not happening this year.)

FlyersMania2

#FireHakstol
Jul 4, 2007
NJ
Is any significant quality available to replace him? Not interested in just another person we can ***** about. Who out there has a system that would match our personnel?

Cause until then...one turd is as good as another.

Nope. Any turd is better than the one we currently have. Even if for no other reason then the new energy they'd bring. I really can't imagine any turd being worse than Stevens, Berube or Hakstol

Reactions: Rebels57 and Asnito

The Madrigal

Apr 26, 2016
In a simulation
It's going to be a while. Hextall doubled down on this horrible hire after last season ended and made it pretty clear he isn't willing to admit he made a huge mistake and fix the situation.

46zone

Pass me the soft pretzels
Feb 5, 2007
Philadelphia
This off-season assuming he's one and done in the playoffs again, or if they miss the playoffs altogether.

Icedog2735

Aug 19, 2006
Stratford, CT
To add to the question/speculation ... who does think WILL be the next head coach? Who does everyone WANT to be the next head coach?

My hope is that it does not come from within; we need someone outside the organization.

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
To add to the question/speculation ... who does think WILL be the next head coach? Who does everyone WANT to be the next head coach?

My hope is that it does not come from within; we need someone outside the organization.

I think it is pretty much a dead certainty that Knob was hired with this in mind, to be the next head coach after apprenticing under Hakstok and getting a feel for the NHL. Not sure if Hexy realizes that Knob is apprenticing under a chimp, or if Knob has done/has failed to do anything that would have effected Hexy's thinking on this, or if said chimp's implosion has effected Hexy's willingness to turn a (partially) young, growing team over into unseasoned hands. Would be easy to see him travelling to the Sutter Family Farmstead and returning with his old L.A. coach in tow when the time comes.

Alpha Couturier
Feb 28, 2005
Chester, UK
It's going to be a while. Hextall doubled down on this horrible hire after last season ended and made it pretty clear he isn't willing to admit he made a huge mistake and fix the situation.

How did he double down exactly? Nothing changed, and he's not going to admit he's made a mistake until after he's fired him.

Reactions: FadeToBlack

Icedog2735

Aug 19, 2006
Stratford, CT
Hak came from outside the organization.
Fair point, and when he was hired there was a mix of skepticism (b/c he was from the NCAA) yet optimism (b/c he wasn't from within the Flyers organization/current coaches). I guess I was meaning more no that he and his staff are "in" the organization, I would prefer to not just promote from within, say with Knob.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad