When will Canada's U18 team be named?

Status
Not open for further replies.

HabLover

Mar 2, 2002
Sandspit
Visit site
Does anyone know for sure if they will wait until the entire CHL has finished the 1st round of playoffs?

A few guys from the WHL who will get early consideration as their teams have missed the playoffs are,

Nick Drazenovic - Prince George
Adam Hobson - Spokane

Can anyone throw a list together of possibles from the OHL and Q?

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
HabLover said:
Does anyone know for sure if they will wait until the entire CHL has finished the 1st round of playoffs?

A few guys from the WHL who will get early consideration as their teams have missed the playoffs are,

Nick Drazenovic - Prince George
Adam Hobson - Spokane

Can anyone throw a list together of possibles from the OHL and Q?

WHL

Nick Drazenovic F- Prince George
Sean Zimmerman D - Spokane
Adam Hobson F - Spokane
Dan Mercer D - Spokane
Real Cyr G - Prince George

OHL

Tom Pyatt F - Saginaw
Pat McNeill D - Saginaw
Richard Clune F - Sarnia

QMJHL

Luc Bourdon D - Val D'Or
M-A Gragnani D - PEI
Kris Letang D - Val D'Or
Simon Bolduc F - Acadie-Bathurst
Alexandre Picard-Hooper F - Baie-Comeau
Jordan Clendenning F - Acadie-Bathurst

They'll have to draw heavily on eliminated teams as pickings are pretty slim. Defense looks OK with Bourdon, McNeill, Gragnani, Zimmerman all guys who are good bets to go in the first 3-4 rounds. Up front there's nothing yet - Drazenovic and Pyatt are the only two guys who are really any sort of lock at this point.

In the WHL alone, guys like Brule, Price, and McArdle are good bets to be available very soon as each are on substantial first-round underdogs.

MS said:
WHL

Nick Drazenovic F- Prince George
Sean Zimmerman D - Spokane
Adam Hobson F - Spokane
Dan Mercer D - Spokane
Real Cyr G - Prince George

OHL

Tom Pyatt F - Saginaw
Pat McNeill D - Saginaw
Richard Clune F - Sarnia

QMJHL

Luc Bourdon D - Val D'Or
M-A Gragnani D - PEI
Kris Letang D - Val D'Or
Simon Bolduc F - Acadie-Bathurst
Alexandre Picard-Hooper F - Baie-Comeau
Jordan Clendenning F - Acadie-Bathurst

They'll have to draw heavily on eliminated teams as pickings are pretty slim. Defense looks OK with Bourdon, McNeill, Gragnani, Zimmerman all guys who are good bets to go in the first 3-4 rounds. Up front there's nothing yet - Drazenovic and Pyatt are the only two guys who are really any sort of lock at this point.

In the WHL alone, guys like Brule, Price, and McArdle are good bets to be available very soon as each are on substantial first-round underdogs.

I'll add Mathieu Carle, Bobby Hughes, and Marc-Andre Cote as players on non-playoff teams who should have a good shot of being named to the team.

Greg7

Feb 5, 2004
In the WHL:

From PG, only Drazenovic looks likely. From Spokane, I like Adam Hobson, and Jason Lynch and Dan Mercer might have a shot depending on how the defense looks. I don't know Regina or Swift Current at all.

Vancouver and Kamloops will both be out soon most likely, which adds Brule, and I like Franson, but I don't think he has much of a shot. Kamloops has Kalvin Sagert, who I liked when I saw him, but I haven't heard much about him.

Tri-City should be easily handled by Seattle, so Carey Price should be a very nice addition. Either Portland or Everett will be out, and Portland has Mikkelson and Sauer, who should both make if available, and Everett has Hamill, who I think should at least be considered despite being an 88. Next year's team could be full of Tips, with Hamill, Calla, Harty, Ellington and Irving all being 88s.

In the East, PA should go out, but I don't really know PA. Mike Gauthier maybe? MJ should be out quickly, and McCardle will be available, as well as Blair Jones.

The Central division is crazy, anyone might beat anyone else. Two of Calgary, Lethbridge, Red Deer and Medicine Hat will be out, and that should give a nice crop to choose from. Calgary has Dupont, Merkely and Kohn, who I would think all have a decent chance. MH, Lethbridge and Red Deer I haven't seen as much, but Kris Russel, Colton Yellowhorn and Tanner Gillies jump to mind.

I'm sure I've missed people, especially in the East, but those are the guys who I remember liking or know are highly regarded.

HabLover

Mar 2, 2002
Sandspit
Visit site
Greg7 said:
In the WHL:

From PG, only Drazenovic looks likely. From Spokane, I like Adam Hobson, and Jason Lynch and Dan Mercer might have a shot depending on how the defense looks. I don't know Regina or Swift Current at all.

Vancouver and Kamloops will both be out soon most likely, which adds Brule, and I like Franson, but I don't think he has much of a shot. Kamloops had Kalvin Sagert, who I liked when I saw him, but I haven't heard much about him.

Tri-City should be easily handled by Seattle, so Carey Price should be a very nice addition. Either Portland or Everett will be out, and Portland has Mikkelson and Sauer, who should both make if available, and Everett has Hamill, who I think should at least be considered despite being an 88. Next year's team could be full of Tips, with Hamill, Calla, Harty, Ellington and Irving all being 88s.

In the East, PA should go out, but I don't really know PA. Mike Gauthier maybe? MJ should be out quickly, and McCardle will be available, as well as Blair Jones.

The Central division is crazy, anyone might beat anyone else. Two of Calgary, Lethbridge, Red Deer and Medicine Hat will be out, and that should give a nice crop to choose from. Calgary has Dupont, Merkely and Kohn, who I would think all have a decent chance. MH, Lethbridge and Red Deer I haven't seen as much, but Kris Russel, Colton Yellowhorn and Tanner Gillies jump to mind.

I'm sure I've missed people, especially in the East, but those are the guys who I remember liking or know are highly regarded.

Well, Jones is an '86 so he won't be eligible if Moose Jaw is ousted. McArdle would be a nice addition.

If PA can beat Saskatoon and it should be close, Devon Setoguchi would be a great addition.

Whether or not Tri-Cities wins, obviously Carey Price would be huge, but on the other hand Scott Jackson and Chris Durand from Seattle would be nice for Canada to choose from.

As for Portland, both Sauer and Mikkelson could be available, although Sauer is American.

If Vancouver is ousted Gilbert Brule would be a great addition.

Does anyone know if Dan Bertram, Andrew Cogliano or Brock Bradford will be available in early April for Team Canada?

Greg7

Feb 5, 2004
HabLover said:
Well, Jones is an '86 so he won't be eligible if Moose Jaw is ousted. McArdle would be a nice addition.

If PA can beat Saskatoon and it should be close, Devon Setoguchi would be a great addition.

Whether or not Tri-Cities wins, obviously Carey Price would be huge, but on the other hand Scott Jackson and Chris Durand from Seattle would be nice for Canada to choose from.

As for Portland, both Sauer and Mikkelson could be available, although Sauer is American.

If Vancouver is ousted Gilbert Brule would be a great addition.

Does anyone know if Dan Bertram, Andrew Cogliano or Brock Bradford will be available in early April for Team Canada?

Whoops, I knew Jones was an '86. I did not know Sauer is American.

cagney

cdojdmccjajgejncjaba
Jun 17, 2002
HabLover said:

Cogliano should be available but the other two might not. Boston College is a top seed for the NCAA tournament and I think they stand a good chance of getting to the frozen four which would make Bertram unavailable. Bradford's USHL team is near the top of the standings and could go far in the playoffs.

HabLover

Mar 2, 2002
Sandspit
Visit site
cagney said:
Cogliano should be available but the other two might not. Boston College is a top seed for the NCAA tournament and I think they stand a good chance of getting to the frozen four which would make Bertram unavailable. Bradford's USHL team is near the top of the standings and could go far in the playoffs.

Is the Frozen 4 tourney soon?

The 1st round of the CHL playoffs don't start until next Friday and Hockey Canada will most likely wait until there done. That would make it early April before the roster for Canada would be selected.

cagney

cdojdmccjajgejncjaba
Jun 17, 2002
HabLover said:

Actually, I just checked the schedule and it looks like the whole tourny will be over sooner than I thought it would be (April 9th) so Bertram will probably be available regardless.

SpaceGhost79

Mar 8, 2002
HabLover said:

The 1st round of the CHL playoffs don't start until next Friday and Hockey Canada will most likely wait until there done. That would make it early April before the roster for Canada would be selected.

The NCAA tournament starts this Friday. Brackets and info, check out either uscho.com or insidecollegehockey.com

Whawks33

Apr 1, 2002
Portland OR
Visit site
Greg7 said:
In the WHL:

Don't count on Seattle easily handling Tri Cites. Seattle has been on a slide the entire second half of the season, and hasn't looked near as good recently as they did early in the season. In addition to this slide, tough stay at home Dman Zach Fitzgerald is going to miss a game or two, or possibly even more pending a review of his match penalty on Saturday night. I somehow don't think the WHL will suspend him long enough to miss an entire playoff series, though the incident, involving stick swinging/spearing to the head of an opposing player, should warrant a good chunk of time.

Yes Sauer is American, but he couldn't play for any country's U18 team, as he is recovering from surgery on one hip, and due to have surgery on his other hip in early April. Might be worth mentioning here that although Sauer only played up to the Christmas break before the extent of his hip injury was discovered and he was sidelined, he still took home the Winter Hawks rookie of the year award (on a team with seven other rookies).

Greg7

Feb 5, 2004
Whawks33 said:
Don't count on Seattle easily handling Tri Cites. Seattle has been on a slide the entire second half of the season, and hasn't looked near as good recently as they did early in the season. In addition to this slide, tough stay at home Dman Zach Fitzgerald is going to miss a game or two, or possibly even more pending a review of his match penalty on Saturday night. I somehow don't think the WHL will suspend him long enough to miss an entire playoff series, though the incident, involving stick swinging/spearing to the head of an opposing player, should warrant a good chunk of time.

Yes Sauer is American, but he couldn't play for any country's U18 team, as he is recovering from surgery on one hip, and due to have surgery on his other hip in early April. Might be worth mentioning here that although Sauer only played up to the Christmas break before the extent of his hip injury was discovered and he was sidelined, he still took home the Winter Hawks rookie of the year award (on a team with seven other rookies).

Sauer is STILL out? I saw Portland a little while ago and wondered where he was. I completely forgot he was hurt.

As for Seattle vs. Tri-City, Seattle has not been AS good in the second half, but they have still been good. Let's not forget that Tri-City really can't score, and on Seattle, I can't imagine them ever scoring. I'll stick with an easy win for Seattle, unless Carey Price stands on his head AND scores a few goals.

Whawks33

Apr 1, 2002
Portland OR
Visit site
Greg7 said:
Sauer is STILL out? I saw Portland a little while ago and wondered where he was. I completely forgot he was hurt.

As for Seattle vs. Tri-City, Seattle has not been AS good in the second half, but they have still been good. Let's not forget that Tri-City really can't score, and on Seattle, I can't imagine them ever scoring. I'll stick with an easy win for Seattle, unless Carey Price stands on his head AND scores a few goals.

Yes Sauer is still out. He had season ending hip surgery in December, and as I said, will be having surgery on his other hip too. Something about some small anatomical defect and the wear and tear that causes on the cartilage in his hip sockets.

Tri City does have guys who can put the puck in the net- Dylan Stanley, Marcus Jonasen- and Clayton Stoner has to be one of the most if not the single most under rated Dman in the WHL. I really think Tri Cities willl surprise Seattle.

HabLover

Mar 2, 2002
Sandspit
Visit site
Greg7 said:
In the WHL:

Vancouver and Kamloops will both be out soon most likely, which adds Brule, and I like Franson, but I don't think he has much of a shot. Kamloops has Kalvin Sagert, who I liked when I saw him, but I haven't heard much about him.

Well, with Saskatoon and Guelph on the verge of being eliminated, it looks as though Setoguchi and Parent will be available. Shawinigan and Drummondville are both down 2 - 0 in the Q and if eliminated, Paquet, Latendresse and Brassard would be options. Tri-City is down 2-0 against Seattle and Carey Price would be a great addition if he's not too tired for the trip and hockey overseas.

The D for Canada is starting to look very solid with most of the guys who won gold last summer at the U18 World Junior Cup already available or soon to be. Of those guys McNeill and Bourdon missed the playoffs and Parent is soon to be available. Ryan Wilson, Brendan Mikkelson, Marc Staal and Kris Russell could still all come available.

The problem right now seems to be up front for Canada, with very little in terms of scoring available. A few guys are already available and some like Latendresse, Brule, Setoguchi could soon be available, but nothing is guaranteed. Hobson, Clutterbuck, Cote and Clune would all be eligible to return right now after missing league playoffs. Kendall McArdle is a new option for Canada after not being invited last summer, but exploded for 37 goals this year in the WHL this season and his team should be eliminated soon.

I am still wondering about the availability of Bertram, Bradford and Cogliano, who would all bring some skills up front to the team if available?

Last edited:
HabLover said:
Well, with Saskatoon and Guelph on the verge of being eliminated, it looks as though Setoguchi and Parent will be available. Shawinigan and Drummondville are both down 2 - 0 in the Q and if eliminated, Paquet, Latendresse and Brassard would be options. Tri-City is down 2-0 against Seattle and Carey Price would be a great addition if he's not too tired for the trip and hockey overseas.

The D for Canada is starting to look very solid with most of the guys who won gold last summer at the U18 World Junior Cup already available or soon to be. Of those guys McNeill and Bourdon missed the playoffs and Parent is soon to be available. Ryan Wilson, Brendan Mikkelson, Marc Staal and Kris Russell could still all come available.

The problem right now seems to be up front for Canada, with very little in terms of scoring available. A few guys are already available and some like Latendresse, Brule, Setoguchi could soon be available, but nothing is guaranteed. Hobson, Clutterbuck, Cote and Clune would all be eligible to return right now after missing league playoffs. Kendall McArdle is a new option for Canada after not being invited last summer, but exploded for 37 goals this year in the WHL this season and his team should be eliminated soon.

I am still wondering about the availability of Bertram, Bradford and Cogliano, who would all bring some skills up front to the team if available?

As mentioned above, Cogliano's been finished for quite a while now, and Bertram's finished his season as well so both will be available.

Joe Hallenback

Mar 4, 2005
I would like to see Tyler Plante from Brandon get some consideration but he might still be in the playoffs at that time.

HabLover

Mar 2, 2002
Sandspit
Visit site
Doomsday Device said:
As mentioned above, Cogliano's been finished for quite a while now, and Bertram's finished his season as well so both will be available.

Cool.....Canada is looking stronger everyday. They could put in a strong showing overseas, much like the 85's did a few years ago.

cdnhky1

May 16, 2002
Visit site
Doomsday Device said:

I doubt very much that Cogliano will still be available. His St. Michael's Buzzers' team is still in the playoffs and are leading Port Hope 1-0 in their best of 7 series. St. Mike's won the first game 5-0 and should win the series no problem. They would then play for the OPJHL championship which could take some time. They would have to lose that series, and in short order, for Cogliano to be available. By the way, Cogliano leads the OPJHL in playoff scoring with 28 points in 14 games.

cdnhky1 said:
I doubt very much that Cogliano will still be available. His St. Michael's Buzzers' team is still in the playoffs and are leading Port Hope 1-0 in their best of 7 series. St. Mike's won the first game 5-0 and should win the series no problem. They would then play for the OPJHL championship which could take some time. They would have to lose that series, and in short order, for Cogliano to be available. By the way, Cogliano leads the OPJHL in playoff scoring with 28 points in 14 games.

Guess I was wrong, I didn't see any more games in his schedule. :dunce:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad