When will Cal Petersen be in the NHL full time?

SAS

Sep 29, 2017
I'm not a Kings fan, but am a fan of Petersen. What is his future with the organization and when do you think he will get to the NHL full time as a backup? He's 25, had great numbers in the NHL last season in his 11 games, but is stuck in the AHL and struggling a bit.

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
Cal made a terrible career decision in coming to LA. Had he went to another organization he'd probably already be in the NHL right now.

Ideally one of Campbell/Quick will be moved, and Petersen will be in the NHL next year. Problem is both Campbell and Quick have terrible numbers right now, so moving either one of them is difficult.

HookKing

Dec 12, 2008
Cal made a terrible career decision in coming to LA. Had he went to another organization he'd probably already be in the NHL right now.

Ideally one of Campbell/Quick will be moved, and Petersen will be in the NHL next year. Problem is both Campbell and Quick have terrible numbers right now, so moving either one of them is difficult.
Yeah, because LA can't develop goaltenders.

Sparky206

Nov 13, 2019
Doesn't matter if there's no room for you.

But I honestly don't think the Kings are better than anyone else at developing goaltenders.

Jones, Kuemper, they even turned budaj into 2.12 GA. We wont even mention Quick. Theres a long line of Quick understudys who go on to be long term successful starters. I would go as far to say that there has been no one better than LA at developing goaltenders in the last decade.

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site

Quick and Campbell aren't so bad since Nov 10th.

When Petersen signed, Campbell was still a question. Petersen played more games than Campbell with Ontario in 17-18. Did Campbell get hurt? I have no idea. Then Kuemper was better than I think anyone expected him to be in 17-18. Then Campbell won the backup job last year, and they just can't move Quick. Blame Campbell not going away rather than any choice Petersen made.

Something will happen before next season starts. They have to move Campbell or Petersen, because Petersen will be 26 in Oct. He's got the 1 way contract kicking in next year. He's barely still a prospect.

Fishhead

Jul 15, 2003
PNW
Jones, Kuemper, they even turned budaj into 2.12 GA. We wont even mention Quick. Theres a long line of Quick understudys who go on to be long term successful starters. I would go as far to say that there has been no one better than LA at developing goaltenders in the last decade.

Don't forget the professor. He looked like Roy when he was here, and I'm not talking Matt. Doesn't really matter how old they are when they come, the Kings have a great track record of making them better.

Reactions: Ghetty Green

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
Don't forget the professor. He looked like Roy when he was here, and I'm not talking Matt. Doesn't really matter how old they are when they come, the Kings have a great track record of making them better.
The most likely reason why so many of these guys did well here is because the Kings team defense during that time period.

I bet if Jones, Kuemper, Budaj, Scrivens & co. were playing behind the current Kings/Reign defense they wouldn't have had the same level of statistical success.

Sparky206

Nov 13, 2019
The most likely reason why so many of these guys did well here is because the Kings team defense during that time period.

I bet if Jones, Kuemper, Budaj, Scrivens & co. were playing behind the current Kings/Reign defense they wouldn't have had the same level of statistical success.
But they did, Jones was a solid starter for many years, and Kuemper is an all star.

Kuemper was .932 with kings, 0.929 this season.
Jones .906 last year with the kings, .918 next year with the sharks

And last year on the team finishing 30th, Jack Campbell .928, 2.30GA on a team that absolutely quit and featured coverages by kovalchuk.

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
Kuemper was .932 with kings, 0.929 this season.
When Kuemper was here the Kings were one of the best defense teams in the NHL. All 3 of the Kings netminders had good stats that year.

Now Keumper is playing for the Coyotes who are playing an extremely tight defensive system and are one of the best defensive teams in the league. Not coincidentally all 3 of their goalies have good stats.

Jones .906 last year with the kings, .918 next year with the sharks
Jones career stats:
w/ The Kings: .923sv% 1.99gaa
w/ The Sharks: .908sv% 2.60gaa

He went from an excellent defensive team to an average defensive team and his stats adjusted accordingly.

And last year on the team finishing 30th, Jack Campbell .928, 2.30GA on a team that absolutely quit and featured coverages by kovalchuk.
There's a direct correlation between good goaltending stats, and good team defense. That doesn't mean there aren't exceptions, but they're usually not sustainable, and we're seeing that now. His current stat line is .904sv% 2.76gaa

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
There's a direct correlation between good goaltending stats, and good team defense. That doesn't mean there aren't exceptions, but they're usually not sustainable, and we're seeing that now. His current stat line is .904sv% 2.76gaa

It's much, much more nuanced than that. Tomas Vokoun spent much of his career on crappy teams, blew it away. Ditto Luongo. Ditto Ryan Miller. Then Ryan Miller went to the Blues and they should have been a Cup favorite, but he did awful. Came to the Ducks, did awesome again. They saw shot volume like crazy. Can start arguing quality etc but then we're getting into the aforementioned nuance.

It's incredibly reductive to suggest the Kings' goaltending success is on team defense solely when goalies have performed here and elsewhere. If anything, they kill it a year after they leave the Kings, and then fade--which I would argue is a testament to goalie coaching.

Reactions: King'sPawn

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
It's much, much more nuanced than that. Tomas Vokoun spent much of his career on crappy teams, blew it away. Ditto Luongo. Ditto Ryan Miller. They saw shot volume like crazy. Can start arguing quality etc but then we're getting into the aforementioned nuance.

It's incredibly reductive to suggest the Kings' goaltending success is on team defense solely when goalies have performed here and elsewhere. If anything, they kill it a year after they leave the Kings, and then fade--which I would argue is a testament to goalie coaching.
I didn't say it was solely because of team defense, but it's obviously a huge factor in goaltending statistical success. As I already mentioned there are exceptions.

Are you really going to tell me that the Kings being an excellent defensive team didn't contribute to them having so much success with goalies?

There's very few goaltenders out there that can sustain good goaltending stats over many years while playing behind a bad defense. And the number is getting fewer and fewer as disparity in goaltending ability has lessened.

Speaking of Vokoun, who I think is excellent, many of the Nashville teams he played for had good tight structural team defense.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
I didn't say it was solely because of team defense, but it's obviously a huge factor in goaltending statistical success. As I already mentioned there are exceptions.

Are you really going to tell me that the Kings being an excellent defensive team didn't contribute to them having so much success with goalies?

There's very few goaltenders out there that can sustain good goaltending stats over many years while playing behind a bad defense. And the number is getting fewer and fewer as disparity in goaltending ability has lessened.

Speaking of Vokoun, who I think is excellent, many of the Nashville teams he played for had good tight structural team defense.

Yes--but your original assertion was that the most likely reason those goalies had good numbers here was team defense, yet almost every single one of them going back to Bernier and thereabouts left and immediately had a good or better season elsewhere on a worse--sometimes much worse--defensive team than the Kings.

I'm simply saying there are other factors at play, the constant goalie coaching seems to have had a large effect, and 'team defense' takes a lot of different looks that have different relationships with different goalies. You can't simply dismiss 'exceptions' when there are so many of them; and it only highlights my point that you choose Vokoun from my exceptions, so thank you--you'll notice that the stretch of his career on a 'good' defensive team had lower stats than his further stints in Florida and ending his career in Washington and Pittsburgh.

I guess the point is actually more goalies are voodoo, goalie counting stats are more contextual than we take them as, and including me we should be careful of making too many assumptions about quality of season on just save % and GAA.

Last edited:

BallPointHammer

Los Angeles Kings - We're Back!
Oct 25, 2006
Maryland
Trading deadline, 2020. There’s your answer. Most likely Campbell gets moved, and Cal gets his chance.
There are teams that need goaltending going into the playoff races and Campbell is better than his stats so far this season. What might teams offer for him?
Also, with Quick playing much better this year he could possibly (??) play out his contract (final season 2022-23)/mentoring and backing up Petersen and also be the Kings available goalie for the 2021 Seattle expansion draft.

apadilla

Dec 27, 2007
Since there is absolutely no rush in bring Cal up, I'll say 21/22 is the season where he will be a full time goalie for the LA Kings. And I believe either Quick/Soupy will be selected by Seattle if either are available for their expansion draft.

regulate

Aug 19, 2007
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Since there is absolutely no rush in bring Cal up, I'll say 21/22 is the season where he will be a full time goalie for the LA Kings. And I believe either Quick/Soupy will be selected by Seattle if either are available for their expansion draft.

So you're going to carry 3 goalies on the NHL roster next year, because if you send Petersen down, he'll get claimed during the waiver process.

Bandit

Jul 23, 2005
Unemployed in Greenland
Petersen is great and he’s taking over the net, but he’s not exactly young at this point. The Kings need to be looking for who is going to take over for him, not Quick.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->