When will Alex Nedeljkovic be in the NHL full time?

Discussion in 'Carolina Hurricanes' started by SAS, Jan 11, 2020.

1. SAS Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    I'm not a Canes fan, but have liked this kid for a while. Will he be the backup to Mrazek next year? What is his future with the Canes?

2. Lempo We are on a pause! Sponsor

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    He got a two year contract last summer, where this season is still a two-way but 2020-21 is one-way. It looks like there's a plan that he would be with the big club in the next season.

Alex Nedeljkovic - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

There's a $125k guaranteed salary for this season, so (in isolation) it wouldn't cost Canes anything to play him up in NHL for the worth of $55k in NHL salary (= should be about 13 days).

Last edited: Jan 11, 2020
  3. Tony Piscotta Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    Going through the Canes prospect group and I was wondering the same thing. Obviously, the injury situation wasn't an ideal way for him to come up - but at the same time it was an opportunity to show he is getting at least cloae to being NHL-ready.

With Anton Forsberg's contract expiring that would seem to clarify the situation a bit but both Mrazek and Reimer are signed through next year .

Is he destined to play in Charlotte again next year — and if that is the case, would another team be interested in claiming him on waivers even though he's seen limited NHL time to this point?

4. Lempo We are on a pause! Sponsor

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    His contract becoming one-way $750k for the season when his waivers exemption has ended kind of looks like the Canes tried to make other teams less inclined to claim him if he was sent down.

5. Azor Aho Win for Doogie Sponsor

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    There's certainly a chance that he ends up as the goalie in the AHL again next year. Unless we just decide to go cheap at goalie, I don't see the Canes handing the backup job to Ned. He may still make it in the NHL eventually, but he didn't look ready in his cup of coffee this year. Granted, he looked a bit better as the few games went on, but I don't think he ever looked particularly NHL caliber. He just gives up a ton of net at his size and is way to twitchy for my liking. He may put it together at the NHL level, but I wouldn't even care if we found a way to move on from him this offseason.

That isn't a consensus opinion though. I think it's been pretty divided on those that think the former AHL goalie of the year deserves a shot at the backup with little competition and there are plenty of us that would go with a situation like this year where perhaps he can steal the backup job, but probably not.

6. tarheelhockey Highest Boss

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    He'll turn 25 this coming January, so it's about time for him to break out if he's going to do that.

There are of course examples of goalies breaking into the league late, especially if they've been developing in Europe, but the curve gets really sharp around age 26. The exceptions after that age are almost always dime-a-dozen backups.

This is a particularly important year for him. As noted upthread he's on an expiring one-way deal, and this organization likes to be efficient with salary. I expect that we'll see him get a very clear-cut trial run in the early weeks, to evaluate where he stands developmentally. If he looks ready to take the backup spot, I think we'll see a move made with one of the veterans to open up that opportunity. If he gives the coaches reason to believe he needs an even longer developmental curve, I expect we'll see him out of the pipeline next summer.

cptjeff and WreckingCrew like this.
  7. Azor Aho Win for Doogie Sponsor

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    I still see no reason to give him this trial run and potentially jeopardize our upcoming season. I would still want a competent vet around personally. Especially for a guy that has been somewhat known as a slow starter.

8. poobags 8) 8) 8( 8)

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    Professional
    Full time NHL goaltending coach 2044

9. Joe McGrath Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    When he grows 4 inches

Ole Gil, HisIceness, DaveG and 6 others like this.
  10. tarheelhockey Highest Boss

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    I mean, the trial run should probably be in the preseason. There's no reason to Darling ourselves over this guy.

11. Cardiac Jerks Chicka Chicka Yeah

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    I believe there’s a pill for that. Let me check my emails and get back to you.

cptjeff, HisIceness, DaveG and 7 others like this.
  12. djboos22 Aho (insert pun)

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    School Counselor
    I have also been an advocate for Ned for a while and was so excited when he got the chance to step in after the legend Ayers.

It was a small sample size, but he did not look good.

tarheelhockey and cptjeff like this.
  13. cptjeff Reprehensible User

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    Same. I was a big supporter of his for the last couple years- but he got his extended look this year, and it was not good. He flat out did not look like a player who will ever reliably win games in the NHL. Sucks, but I don't think he'll ever make it as a full timer.

14. djboos22 Aho (insert pun)

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    School Counselor
    He played 4 games and even though he played Dallas, Phi, and Pit...he just didn't look settled.

I do think he is a good goalie, but we can't bank on him anymore.

15. Big Daddy Cane Lion Reaves

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    Not only is that a super small sample size, but the defense in front of his was in flux at that time. I take nothing away from his performances, good or bad.

Nedeljkovic's immediate future is cloudy. I struggle with the idea that a win now FO will be comfortable going into next season with a rookie goalie with such limited NHL experience as part of a platoon. A pure backup to a 55-60 game starter is the logical role for him. Neither Mrazek nor Reimer is that guy. Sign that goalie in free agency (Lehner/Markstrom/Holtby) and they then have to move both to free up the lineup spot. That would be a real challenge logistically.

WreckingCrew, djboos22 and AD Skinner like this.
  16. Chan790 Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    Public Relations
    My guess is never. I don't think he has an NHL-quality game. I'd like to see us move on from him while he still has some value, then go out and make the moves to get Askarov.

It's time to find our long-term solution in net (even if it's not immediate)...and that's not Ned, Reimer, Mrazek, and I'm skeptical of all of the favored options in FA.

17. cptjeff Reprehensible User

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    We could try to pry away Andersen after Toronto's playoff meltdown. :sarcasm:

DaveG likes this.
  18. GIN ANTONIC Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    So it’s late and I drink because it’s quarantine but also I realize Petr Mrazek is ‘only’ 28 years old. Has he peaked/settled?

He had some pretty great seasons in Detroit early on and they while they were decent teams they were far from powerhouses.

Any chance he can find consistency under some stability and our system to elevate to true/solid/top 20 goalie?

cptjeff likes this.
  19. MinJaBen Canes Sharks Boy Sponsor

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    Yes, there is a chance. But who wants to pay him to roll the dice?

20. 42 jerks Not seeking rents

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    I still think Ned will become a serviceable or better NHL goalie. As BDC mentions, the sample size needs to be considered. Both Merzlikins and Hart struggled in their first few games.

The more important point by BDC is that the defense did Ned no favors. In fact, Slavin was at fault on both first goals against Dallas and Philly. Against Dallas, it was more about the situation—a new partner in Skjei and a new goalie in Ned. Slavin starting playing offense and totally ignored Seguin heading toward the goal. Slavin was playing within the Canes system, but given the specific situation it was a poor read. Ned made the first stop but there was no d-man close enough to make the rebound shot difficult. Against Philly Ned again made an initial stop—in this case Slavin just made little effort to cover the goal scorer. With even decent defensive effort, Ned's initial stops would likely be enough and we would be talking about his strong ability to keep out high-danger shots thus allowing the D to recover.

Big Daddy Cane and DaveG like this.