When was the last time we led the NHL?

ChuckW

Keep the Hurricanes great!
May 15, 2009
Parts unknown
Like, after 10 games or whatever.

I'm pretty sure we were the #1 team at some point during the 2005-2006 season, but I remember mostly being 2nd or 3rd a lot of that year. Ottawa was 1st unless my memory is crap.

Then a couple of years ago we got close but were we at the top for a few days there?

MrazeksVengeance

VENGEANCE
Feb 27, 2018
IRRELEVANT.
I could see CERTAIN ALLURE TO WINNING PRESIDENT’S TROPHY AT THE END OF THE REGULAR SEASON, but leading the League before it’s end might be alluring, but ‘tis nothing BUT A FLEETING JOY, THAT HAS VERY LITTLE BEARING ON THE REAL TASK AT HAND.

TAKING VENGEANCE BY GETTING THAT OVERSIZED PIECE OF CROCKERY.

Reactions: LostInaLostWorld

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
We were #1 at some point last season? I don't remember that. Any idea what date(s)?
I think we were number one pretty close to the end of the season as we were going back and forth with Vegas and Colorado for the President’s trophy.

LakeLivin

Armchair Quarterback
Mar 11, 2016
North Carolina
As a statistician I feel obligated to point out that the most accurate league ranking should be by points percentage. Even though the default NHL standings are traditionally listed according to points, when the 2019-20 season ended early (with unbalanced schedules), the NHL used points percentage to determine seeding.

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
As others have said last season but 05-06 the boys were 1st in the league after that Detroit win up until the last week of the regular season. This has become forgotten but the team started slumping after winning the division, probably for the best considering the end result but it probably also played into going down 0-2 to MTL in R1.

But in the end, they won the Cup.

Reactions: ChuckW

ChuckW

Keep the Hurricanes great!
May 15, 2009
Parts unknown
As others have said last season but 05-06 the boys were 1st in the league after that Detroit win up until the last week of the regular season. This has become forgotten but the team started slumping after winning the division, probably for the best considering the end result but it probably also played into going down 0-2 to MTL in R1.

But in the end, they won the Cup.

Hopefully this mini-slump (they are about to lose to the Leafs) is similiar.

I can't stand Florida especially, and hearing all the experts annoint them the Cup faves. I hope to God they flop come the post-season. It would be such delicious karma. f*** Florida.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad