When to trade Vets?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Heckler81

Oct 14, 2017
The team definitely has played better than the 0-3 start. The slow start does have me thinking though.

When do you think is a good time to trade the Vets for more draft picks and prospects?

At the trade deadline? 41 games? 20 games?

The earlier we trade them, I would think would return more. More games played for the other team and not as many teams selling earlier in the season.

What do you think?

Reactions: egelband

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
The team definitely has played better than the 0-3 start. The slow start does have me thinking though.

When do you think is a good time to trade the Vets for more draft picks and prospects?

The earlier we trade them, I would think would return more. More games played for the other team and not as many teams selling earlier in the season.

What do you think?

The earliest would probably be around Thanksgiving.

I don't see this team moving anyone until the TDL where we will see a mini exodus (Zucc, Hayes, McQuaid, etc.)

Reactions: nyr2k2

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA
I think you may see a trade within the next 15 or so games, but all the big boys won't go until like the week leading up to the deadline

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland

What do you think?

It can go either way. Earlier, more teams still in it to compete, less of a market, acquiring team gets more use/value from the player. At the deadline, teams can be desperate, just two or three teams can create a bidding war, and money is less of an issue; teams that might not be interested now might feel they need to make a final move to push them over the top.

TDL, for me. I mean it should be made known that the Rangers are willing to move a lot of guys and they should entertain offers always. I just have always believed the returns are better at the TDL.

Reactions: egelband

Webster

Zucc's buddy
Sponsor
Nov 7, 2017
But the way you are bashing certain players they can't be worth much...

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
I think at or near the deadline, but if those players are going to play poorly from now until then they are not going to get much if any value out of them anyway.

Trying to get value out of them and trying to play 3 or 4 rookies all at the same time is going to be difficult.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise

What do you think?

Depends on a variety of factors.

If a player for another team goes down and is done for the year, you could see a phone call about certain guys with the mindset that they're getting the guy for the regular season, the playoffs, and maybe beyond.

But generally speaking, I wouldn't expect anything until Thanksgiving --- and even that's on the early side.

But assuming this team consistently hovers in the 27-31 spot, more than likely you're be looking at business potentially picking up around January.

It also depends on who is potentially shopped.

Zucc is a higher probability. But I wouldn't completely rule out names like Kreider and Zibanejad --- depending on how they perform and what an opposing team offers.

If Hayes has a strong season, and is shopped, that opens a host of other conversations that might start in early January.

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
Zucc, Hayes and McQuaid will all have plenty of value at the deadline. Someone like Fast would be a big add for a team looking to go on a deep run.
I’d keep Fast. But I know what you mean. He’s the kind of player the Rangers might overpay when they should probably move him at top value. I’d be fine either way.

Reactions: E-Train

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
If I were Quinn he'd be the one guy I'd demand Gorton do all he can to keep.
This is why the Rangers might overpay him not really taking a position either way. But while being a very good player, maybe you let another team give him 5x5. Good organizations replace a Fast in-house, so to speak

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016
Fast wont get you enough to consider trading him imo, hes worth more to us than a contending team who would use him on the 4th line.
Zuc,Hayes,Staal, Smith, Namesticov should all be moved, and I might even move on from Zibanajad if he cant figure out how to compete every night on the best line the team has to offer. Spitballing this but I'd send Namesticov to Pitshurgh or back to Tampa, somewhere hes a compliment to a high skill line. Zuc goes to Edmonton to play with McDavid(I'd make that trade sooner than later to give Zuc a chance at a money deal). Hayes I ship off to San Jose who need an option to use instead of Thorton who wont complete the season. Smith and Staal can go wherever someone will take them.

Kakko Schmakko

Feb 24, 2018

What do you think?

any time you get a good offer.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
McQuaid has looked good in his short stint so far. He's a prototypical big, tough, say-at-home defenseman who dishes out punishment to the opposing team. I was thinking prior to the season that he was only a single season Ranger, but I wouldn't be opposed to re-signing him as a 3rd pairing d-man IF the Rangers were to move a couple of Smith/Staal/Shattenkirk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->