Zombie Woof
Sep 16, 2017
Buffalo, NY
photofunny.net__final_1682463515678950161_.jpg

Washed Up 29YearOld

Bro Do You Even Hockey?
Apr 29, 2018
Buffalo NY
It was perfect that he had a down year before his RFA contract, I posted here at the time that they should lock him up ASAP while he's still cheap. But some people (not necessarily on this site) questioned whether he was the "real deal". :huh:

I think he's PPG next to Jack for a year and demands close to 9.5 mil, when we could have had him for 8 years at close to 7 :thumbd:

Seems like he genuinely wants to stay in Buffalo though by signing a bridge and remaining RFA. I say sign him as soon as humanly possible before he blows up even more. (Yes even if he's having a down stretch).

*I also think that Sam has a much higher ceiling than many may imagine. He is an immensely skilled player and probably smarter than Eichel, he gets better at everything each year and is still extraordinarily young. If higher scoring continues, and he's playing with the right talent, I wouldn't be surprised at all if he scores at over a PPG clip at some point of his career.

Last edited:

La Cosa Nostra

Caporegime
Jun 25, 2009
It was perfect that he had a down year before his RFA contract, I posted here at the time that they should lock him up ASAP while he's still cheap. But some people (not necessarily on this site) questioned whether he was the "real deal". :huh:

I think he's PPG next to Jack for a year and demands close to 9.5 mil, when we could have had him for 8 years at close to 7 :thumbd:

Seems like he genuinely wants to stay in Buffalo though by signing a bridge and remaining RFA. I say sign him as soon as humanly possible before he blows up even more. (Yes even if he's having a down stretch).

*I also think that Sam has a much higher ceiling than many may imagine. He is an immensely skilled player and probably smarter than Eichel, he gets better at everything each year and is still extraordinarily young. If higher scoring continues, and he's playing with the right talent, I wouldn't be surprised at all if he scores at over a PPG clip at some point of his career.

24 is extraordinarily young? Not really.

Reinhart is not getting 9 per. He gets between 20-25 goals a season. Unlike Eichel he isnt a center, doesn't do nearly as much as him either so no need to worry about Sam scoring a ppg. He will end up with ~60 points and sign for 6.75-7 mil per.

And of course its Botts fault for not signing Reinhart long term. I am sure Sam was really wanting to be locked in for 7-8 years coming off a 50 point season. Sam is the one who probably pushed for the bridge and bet on himself but of course its automatically Botts fault. And if Sam does become a 70 point player and gets 7.5 per then good. Would much rather pay 7.5 per for a 70 point guy then had given Sam 6.5-7 per and see him struggle to hit 60 points. Not every player has to be paid for potential. Its nice to see a bridge deal.

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
I expect him to file for arbitration and settle at the last possible moment. It's clear that Don Meehan likes to toy with Botterill. This will conclude The Botterill-Meehan Conundrum III

Washed Up 29YearOld

Bro Do You Even Hockey?
Apr 29, 2018
Buffalo NY
24 is extraordinarily young? Not really.

Reinhart is not getting 9 per. He gets between 20-25 goals a season. Unlike Eichel he isnt a center, doesn't do nearly as much as him either so no need to worry about Sam scoring a ppg. He will end up with ~60 points and sign for 6.75-7 mil per.

And of course its Botts fault for not signing Reinhart long term. I am sure Sam was really wanting to be locked in for 7-8 years coming off a 50 point season. Sam is the one who probably pushed for the bridge and bet on himself but of course its automatically Botts fault. And if Sam does become a 70 point player and gets 7.5 per then good. Would much rather pay 7.5 per for a 70 point guy then had given Sam 6.5-7 per and see him struggle to hit 60 points. Not every player has to be paid for potential. Its nice to see a bridge deal.
I would say that 23 is extraordinarily young considering he's not even at his peak years for another 3-4 years. It is Botts fault, he should have recognized his talent and locked it up to dramatically save from the cap. If a random hfboard poster would lock him up (and posted as such) and it turned out that may have been the best way, yes, that is indeed Botts' fault if he couldn't even recognize that as GM of an NHL team. That is 110% on him. He- as an allegedly astute GM- should have recognized the ABSOLUTE GIFT of Sam not scoring as much and LOCKED HIM UP.

He was tearing it up and nearly PPG the second half of the season.

Again, the fact that he failed to lock him up at an exponentially lower AAV, when a random hf board poster would (me), that reflects poor judgement on Botterill, objectively, it's not even a question.

Reactions: teravaineSAROS

Man of Principles

The Krueger Effect
Nov 30, 2011
Who is even his comparable?

What RFA's signed a 2 year bridge that are now looking long term?

Somewhere a hair above Kyle Connor/DeBrincat and below Rantanen and Marner.

I would offer ROR's contract right now in those exact numbers as soon as possible. But Botterill is gonna be patient and get worked.

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh
I wonder what Reinhart and his agent would think of the Schenn deal (8 yrs @ $6.5M per)?

If I was his agent, I'd think too many years and not enough cash.

Between age difference and Schenn dropping down to 50ish point norm of his prime, Reinhart should be able to command closer to 8 if he went full term.

If I was Botts, I'd be trying to get this done immediately, and go for full term at 7.5-8. you get him until his peak is likely over at 32 or so and you pay him a non-elite cap hit for a guy who is a first line talent for the foreseeable future.

If we can count on the coaching being just average and the depth pieces like Olofsson and Miller, Joker and others being respectable compared to last years poop sandwich, I can't see Reinhart not breaking 70 points.

I shudder to think what that negotiation looks like if they can't lock him up early and he goes ppg with his usual good advanced stats. Hello Skinner dollars if that happens.

Aladyyn

they praying for the death of a rockstar
Apr 6, 2015
Czech Republic
56a0972ec3.jpg
880346d4c2.jpg
490a57a61c.jpg

In terms of counting stats Sam will probably lag behind these guys because of his PP role but really, he's not worse than them in the slightest. He can milk this franchise for a LOT of money and it will be deserved.

itwasaforwardpass

I'll be the hyena
Mar 4, 2017
56a0972ec3.jpg
880346d4c2.jpg
490a57a61c.jpg

In terms of counting stats Sam will probably lag behind these guys because of his PP role but really, he's not worse than them in the slightest. He can milk this franchise for a LOT of money and it will be deserved.

Marner and Rantanan are two examples of a bit overpayment this off season. Hopefully we can lock up Sam to a deal more like Kyle Connor.

Snippit

Dec 5, 2012
If Reinhart scores 80+ points this year we’re looking at 9M long term.

This could prove tricky to lock up all of Reinhart, Olofsson, Montour and Dahlin.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->