When to lock up Reinhart

member 311261

I'm surprised this hasn't been more of a topic. Like everyone else, I'm expecting a big year from Reinhart.

Should we lock him up now before the price goes up?

One thing I noticed in the preseason is that he looks a lot faster this year. He's always been a good hockey IQ guy, and a good net front presence, but never fast. With extra speed he'll be flat out dangerous.

Thoughts?

old kummelweck

Nov 10, 2003
Good news is no lockout. Bad news is Mitch Marner. I think this one will be an Aug/Sept signing 2020. If he puts up better numbers than last year, I think you're looking at 3-4 year term and around $9m AAV.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
We can't lock him up until January 1, I'm pretty sure.

But once that date hits....and he looks like he did last year......you lock him up as fast as humanly possible.

Nope.

That was for Skinner last year because they had traded for him after the previous season's TDL.

They can sign Reinhart to an extension since it is after July 1.

But, @dotcommunism can let you know for sure.

dotcommunism

Aug 16, 2007
We can't lock him up until January 1, I'm pretty sure.

But once that date hits....and he looks like he did last year......you lock him up as fast as humanly possible.

Nope.

That was for Skinner last year because they had traded for him after the previous season's TDL.

They can sign Reinhart to an extension since it is after July 1.

But, @dotcommunism can let you know for sure.
The issue with Skinner was that he couldn't get an 8-year term until after the trade deadline. They could have signed him to an extension before the deadline, but not for 8 years.

That said, Reinhart can be signed at any point. Only players on one-year deals cannot be signed to an extension until January 1. No such restriction applies to Reinhart as he is on the second year of a two-year deal.

Reactions: Jim Bob and vcv

member 311261

Correct me if I'm wrong but he would an arbitration candidate based on his years. If so, is that a good thing?

Dahlin 2 Eichel

Sep 21, 2013
Roaming The Sewers
I don’t know how people expect him to be better when everyone is saying this team is going to be worse or just as bad as last year. So going off what people are saying, might as well wait till next offseason.

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
I don’t know how people expect him to be better when everyone is saying this team is going to be worse or just as bad as last year. So going off what people are saying, might as well wait till next offseason.
Sounds like everyone is kinda dumb since the roster is clearly better than the one they had most of last season. Whether it's enough to be happy about or not is another issue.

Reactions: Dirty Dog

OkimLom

May 3, 2010

Way to stick with the hyperbole, but Reinhart playing well or better, doesn't require the rest of the roster to play well themselves.

BananaSquad

Jun 13, 2013
Niagara
Good news is no lockout. Bad news is Mitch Marner. I think this one will be an Aug/Sept signing 2020. If he puts up better numbers than last year, I think you're looking at 3-4 year term and around $9m AAV.
He ain’t getting Marner money lol

itwasaforwardpass

I'll be the hyena
Mar 4, 2017

The Sabres shouldn't accept term that short.

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012

I think the other RFA contracts have made it abundantly clear that Toronto didn't set the market for everybody, just Toronto.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
The Sabres shouldn't accept term that short.

With Reinhart just two arbitration awards away from UFA, it will be interesting to see how this plays out.

If he has a career year offensively, it might take the Skinner deal to lock him up long term.

Then you have one center and two wingers at almost $30M against a cap.

And you will have people saying that you are giving that much cap to one center and two wingers that haven't led this team anywhere...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->