When the violence turns really bad. Willi Plett tries to kill Greg Stefan. Could it occur again?

Kim Davis

Dec 28, 2018
I recently viewed a video from a game between Minnesota North Stars and Detroit Red Wings from the 1980's. It showed a vicous stick swinging incident in that game between North Star forward Willi Plett and Detroit goalie Greg Stefan behind the Detroit goal, which saw Plett try to decapitate Stefan with the stick. This is the worst deliberate attempt to injure another player that I've ever seen, in good healthy competition with Bobby Clarke spearing Frantisek Pospisil in the face, and Dave Brown trying to decapitate Tomas Sandström, and a few other incidents like that.
My question is, is this the kind of stuff that belongs in the past? Why aren't there anymore similar incidents like this in hockey? There used to be quite a few of them back in the 70's and 80's when whackjobs like Plett and Randy Holt and others, with zero self-control patrolled NHL ices. Has the game cleaned itself of these dangerous types for good or am I wrong about that? I don't really watch hockey anymore, but I doubt that there has been anything remotely as severe as the Plett-Stefan incident during the past 15-year period. The last guy that I can think of who was really out of control and genuinely dangerous was Jim Cummins, who has long since retired.

Anyway, here's the clip. The incident occurs at around the 35 second mark of the video:

Last edited:

FaceWash

Jun 3, 2018
plett just retaliating for stefan whacking him on the back of the neck with his goalie stick. eh, was typical "chuck" norris division game.

streitz

Jul 22, 2018
They didn't call it the chuck Norris division for nothing.

Al Secord got Ciccarelli really nasty with a similar slash around the same time.

Reactions: Stive Morgan

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
They didn't call it the chuck Norris division for nothing.

Al Secord got Ciccarelli really nasty with a similar slash around the same time.

Didnt he return that with a slash on Richardson ?

That slash is the video is rather tame. Could be me, though.

Not saying it's fine to have, but doesn't seem that bad.

Reactions: Tim Wallach

FaceWash

Jun 3, 2018
Didnt he return that with a slash on Richardson ?

That slash is the video is rather tame. Could be me, though.

Not saying it's fine to have, but doesn't seem that bad.

Yeah, Ciccarelli hit Richardson a couple of times in the head with his stick. I think Ciccarelli spent a night in jail for it too.

Spirit of 67

Nov 25, 2016
Aurora, On.
If that type of hockey was being played now, HF would have a melt down.
If one player looks at another sideways, there's a thread the next day calling for a suspension. I suspect many heads would explode around here (Scanners style) if this type of hockey were to return.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad