When the team "arrives"...what will it look like?

Adam Warlock

Apr 15, 2006
So much talk on these boards over the last few years about patience and staying the course...I am just curious to see what everyone's ideal team will look like when you finally consider them a contender. Where do you expect guys to fit in? Who will be gone? What prospects will be here? Etc...

Mine: 2021

JVR-Patrick-Konecny
Giroux-Coots-Voracek
Lindblom-Frost-Farabee
Laughton-Vorobyov-Ratcliff

Provorov-Ghost
Sanheim-Myers
Morin-Hagg

Hart
Stolarz

My thoughts are by the time everyone's ready...Patrick and TK will have passed G and V as the big point producers. JVR can still go to the net and score goals so he'll compliment them well. G and V will have lost a step, but still can put up 60 points playing on a line with Coots that just keeps the puck in the Ozone. That 3rd line will be young, hungry, and smart as hell. The 4th will provide energy...Ratcliff gives them some size and goal scoring.

The D is self explanatory...but I would hope Hagg would be replaced with a solid signing or trade option. Goalie is obviously Hart...back up is debatable.

An interesting note, that entire line up with the exception of Voracek, was drafted by us.

Reactions: Rebels57

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
2020-21 is when this team should arrive:

Giroux - Couts - TK
JVR - Patrick - Voracek
Farabee/Lindblom - Frost - Allison/O'Brien
Ratcliffe/Rubtsov - Vorobyev - Laczynski/NAK
Laughton is likely to be moved. Raffl and Simmonds will leave when their contracts expire.

Provorov - Ghost
Sanheim - Myers
Morin/Hagg - Friedman

ED is the wildcard, they might expose Sanheim and replace him with Hogberg or trade for a top 4 D-man.
Friedman is a placeholder for a bottom pair RHD, it could be him, or some other middle round pick who can fill in at low cost.

2021-22

Lindblom - Patrick - TK
Farabee - Frost - O'Brien
Giroux - Couts - Allison/Laczynski
Ratcliffe/Rubtsov - Vorobyev - NAK
Voracek, JVR traded for draft picks, D-men

Provorov - Ghost
Hogberg - Myers
Ginning - Friedman

It's very speculative but one thing stands out, even after the ED, Ron is going to have too many forwards and will have to make a couple trades, probably for a top four defenseman and future draft pics. They'll let Giroux play out his contract, but Voracek and JVR will probably get mentioned every summer as trade bait.

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
No Hakstol.

giphy.gif

Lotusflower

Tha Snake, Tha Rat, Tha Cat, Tha Dog
Dec 23, 2013
Im not gonna post lineups cuz who the **** knows but likely a better version of the 2017 Nashville team.

Elite on the backend with an overflow of depth and two-way ability at the forwards

Reactions: Rebels57

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
G - 3Couts - TK
Lindblom - Patrick - Jake
Ratcliffe - Frosty - Allison
Bunny - Pimp - Tanner L.

Provy - Ghost
Cannon - Myers
Big Sam - Hogwarts

Hart
Felix

Farabee and O'Brien breathing down the throats of Jake and Allison (even though I have them both on the right lol). See that fourth line up there? That's how you win Stanley Cups.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Meh, Hakstols' schemes work. They turned Manning, Gudas and MacDonald into top 50 scorers. That's coaching!

And with this kind of talent, anyone could coach game day, it's the other coach who's going to be pulling his hair out trying to figure out matchups.
All Hakstol has to do is just pull 12 names out of a hat.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
So much talk on these boards over the last few years about patience and staying the course...I am just curious to see what everyone's ideal team will look like when you finally consider them a contender. Where do you expect guys to fit in? Who will be gone? What prospects will be here? Etc...

Mine: 2021

JVR-Patrick-Konecny
Giroux-Coots-Voracek
Lindblom-Frost-Farabee
Laughton-Vorobyov-Ratcliff

Provorov-Ghost
Sanheim-Myers
Morin-Hagg

Hart
Stolarz

My thoughts are by the time everyone's ready...Patrick and TK will have passed G and V as the big point producers. JVR can still go to the net and score goals so he'll compliment them well. G and V will have lost a step, but still can put up 60 points playing on a line with Coots that just keeps the puck in the Ozone. That 3rd line will be young, hungry, and smart as hell. The 4th will provide energy...Ratcliff gives them some size and goal scoring.

The D is self explanatory...but I would hope Hagg would be replaced with a solid signing or trade option. Goalie is obviously Hart...back up is debatable.

An interesting note, that entire line up with the exception of Voracek, was drafted by us.

Farabee is a LW so you can probably flipflop him and Oskar. O'Brien should be in the mix as well. There will probably be a quantity for quality trade at some point too since we will be in win-now mode.

bear3330

Jul 8, 2018
Something that bodes well is that we don't have anyone that's going to demand $10-12 mil/year when they come off ELC. Sure we'll have a handful of $6-8.5 mil but nothing that will handcuff Hextall's ability to ice a very competitive team year after year.

It would be great to have a Mcdavid or Tavares but those AAV will be hard to build a well rounded roster around year after year (see Chicago).

duffy9748

Nov 26, 2007
There’s going to have to be a point in time when Hextall moves a package of picks/prospects for 1 or 2 additions. There’s not enough room for all of these prospects. This core is pretty much set in stone for 4 more years:

Giroux-Couturier-Konecny
JVR-Patrick-Voracek
Lindblom-Frost-X

Provorov-Ghost
X-Sanheim/Myers

Reactions: gertbfrobe16

Freddy The Fog

Don't live in the fast lane. Live on the off ramp
Aug 3, 2005
Don't forget the expansion draft. It's going to screw things up big time.

I see us trading away legit talent for picks to protect the core as best as possible... but the impact will be to stall the rebuild since depth has to be sacrificed.

Damn NHL BS.

pit

5th Most Improved Poster
Jun 25, 2005
Toronto
If I have any long-term concerns with how our team plays out in the future, it's the expansion draft and the impending lockout.

The ED feels manageable. If there is a lockout though, I feel it will come at the exact wrong time for us in terms of our window.

magnumpi

Roger got goofy with Cancer
Apr 22, 2018
Same basic players as everyone else will state; however Id say there will be a significant addition via trade at forward and on defense.

like adding a Hossa and the Avs 20 yrs ago adding Rob Blake.

Domino666

“20 years away”
Aug 18, 2011
Meh, Hakstols' schemes work. They turned Manning, Gudas and MacDonald into top 50 scorers. That's coaching!

And with this kind of talent, anyone could coach game day, it's the other coach who's going to be pulling his hair out trying to figure out matchups.
All Hakstol has to do is just pull 12 names out of a hat.
And he’ll still f*** that up some how

CapnZin

Jul 20, 2017
Sweden
2018-2019:

G - Couts - TK
JVR - Patrick - Voracek
Lindblom - Weal - Simmer
Laughton - Lehtera - Leier/Weise

Weise/Leier

Provorov - Ghost
Sanheim - Gudas
Hagg - Amac

Folin/Morin (LTIR)

Elliot
Neuvirth

2019-2020:

G - Couts - TK
Lindblom - Patrick - Voracek
JVR - Frost - Allison
NAK - Laughton - Simmer

Weal/Vorobyev

Provorov - Ghost
Sanheim - Myers
Morin - Hagg/Gudas

Hagg/Gudas

Hart
Lyon

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Vorobyev will be the 4C in 2019-20, Allison will probably start the year in LHV unless he totally blows away the NCAA this year.
Rubtsov and Laughton will challenge for 4LW, NAK 4RW, Simmonds will either be gone or 3RW.
Lindblom is a possibility for 3RW while Allison and Laczynski marinate.

And Ratcliffe has a shot of making the team, depending on how he does this year in juniors, same with Farabee and O'Brien, they'll probably stay in college until they're NHL ready - both should develop faster than Allison or Laczynski.
Friedman will have a shot at 3 RHD if he continues to develop, especially paired with Morin.

That 2019-20 team is going to be loaded for bear!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad