When the Nords moved...

Status
Not open for further replies.

albathegreat*

Reveille! said:
Most just actually jumped into the river.

While others continue to believe the team is still around.

Much like Jets fans.

lol

Raskolnikov76

Jan 14, 2003
Los Altos
www.modesys.com
arrbez said:
where did their fans go?

Did most of them jump to hated rival Montreal, or stick with the franchise in Colorado?

I was a nordiques fan living in Montreal. That was tough, especially when they were in the basement of the league for years. I was a huge Hab hater and their 93 cup run was disastrous for me. Did I hated Roy that year.

When the nords moved, I started to get away from hockey but I watched their playoff run (but missed the final because I was in Europe).

Around the same years, it was the baseball strike when the Expos were the best team in the league.

I got completely disgusted with professional sport and lost interest.

But then I got back to hockey and became a Hab fan for two reasons.

First, they fired Ronald Corey. I always hated the "constipated" mind set of the Habs. like they trade Chelios/Carbonneau/etc.. because the CH has to have a nice "family image", compared to the irrevencious Nordiques. When they hired Andre Savard as GM, the habs management was almost entirely made of ex-nordiques and I had hope of big changes.

Second, even If i was a Nord fan and a Hab hater, I always recognized that Montreal was the greatest franchise ever. You can't go against 24 cups. And I was mesmerized by the lack of respect the Habs got outside of Quebec. Not that they don't get any, but I was always pissed when i heard stuff like "Detroit Hockey town" or "Toronto hockey mecqua, Canada's team" and stuff. So I got a Hab fan a bit for "nationalistic pride" reason. Let's say it was more for Montreal than it was for the Habs. But combined with the first point (new management) every thing was clear so I could become a huge fan.

I now have 2 Habs jersey and If i could go back in time and tell this to a younger me, I wouldn't believe it.

Also, I got older. more mature. There is team i dislike because of the rivalry (Boston, Toronto). But hating a team? I think it's a bit immature. It would have been stupid to keep hating the Habs just because I did so when I was a kid.

puckhead103*

Raskolnikov76 said:
I was a nordiques fan living in Montreal. That was tough, especially when they were in the basement of the league for years. I was a huge Hab hater and their 93 cup run was disastrous for me. Did I hated Roy that year.

When the nords moved, I started to get away from hockey but I watched their playoff run (but missed the final because I was in Europe).

Around the same years, it was the baseball strike when the Expos were the best team in the league.

I got completely disgusted with professional sport and lost interest.

But then I got back to hockey and became a Hab fan for two reasons.

First, they fired Ronald Corey. I always hated the "constipated" mind set of the Habs. like they trade Chelios/Carbonneau/etc.. because the CH has to have a nice "family image", compared to the irrevencious Nordiques. When they hired Andre Savard as GM, the habs management was almost entirely made of ex-nordiques and I had hope of big changes.

Second, even If i was a Nord fan and a Hab hater, I always recognized that Montreal was the greatest franchise ever. You can't go against 24 cups. And I was mesmerized by the lack of respect the Habs got outside of Quebec. Not that they don't get any, but I was always pissed when i heard stuff like "Detroit Hockey town" or "Toronto hockey mecqua, Canada's team" and stuff. So I got a Hab fan a bit for "nationalistic pride" reason. Let's say it was more for Montreal than it was for the Habs. But combined with the first point (new management) every thing was clear so I could become a huge fan.

I now have 2 Habs jersey and If i could go back in time and tell this to a younger me, I wouldn't believe it.

Also, I got older. more mature. There is team i dislike because of the rivalry (Boston, Toronto). But hating a team? I think it's a bit immature. It would have been stupid to keep hating the Habs just because I did so when I was a kid.
have you ever hear any movements in quebec to try to build a new arena to woo an NHL franchise?

chooch*

Raskolnikov76 said:

You can go anywhere, and its the "World famous Canadiens de Montreal".

They are the only thing that transcends hockey.

mcphee

Feb 6, 2003
Visit site
arrbez said:
under the new CBA, I think the Jets have a good chance to win the central division this season
Never, those pierogie dominated diets kill them down the stretch.

Good post Raskolnikov, it's funny how as you get older you tend to realize that the vehemence with which you hate your team's chief rival is kind of amusing. My brother wants me kicked out of the family for having a good time chatting with Bruin fans, and being happy for them when the Sox won. As kids, he'd watch Sox games on ch.22 and pray for rain, just to see unhappy New Englanders. He wanted capital punishment for the old Bruins play by play guys, who I'm sure are very nice people. I can only summon that much emotion for the Leafs now and sometimes I have to work at keeping the hatred up. Problem is, you spend time on these boards,get to know some fans of other teams, and blind hatred becomes tougher. I think I'm losing my fastball.

Back to the original point, some Nordique fans stuck with the Avalanche,some went the Hab's way, a lot just went anybody but the CH, like they were before. I don't think many went to Philadelphia though. Hard to say, we of course wouldn't let a Quebec fan into our home.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad