Goalies: When the ball/puck is in the corner.

Analyzer*

I see NHL goalie go down because they're mostly big enough to cover the top part of the net if the player tries to go top cheese.

However, I don't like that and it's harder to do on pavement since you can't just slide across. I prefer to hug the post and block passes across, or "block" shots in that stance. However, I do get too caught up and will step off my post leaving the smallest of room that everyone and their dog seem to be able to pick with ease.

Getting scored on is no biggie for me, but giving up those goals kinda piss me off. Especially since this weekend I'll be in Ottawa for the CBC 4 on 4 play on and would hate to give up a couple that way.

What's the best way to deal with the ball in the corner ?

Primary Assist

The taste of honey is worse than none at all
Jul 7, 2010
since it sounds like you're playing floor or street hockey I would recommend trying it with your outside foot wrapped around the post. This way you know there's no way they can sneak it in, and you can use the post for a hard push if the puck moves across the zone.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
I'd hug the post and just constantly be ready to push hard off the post to slide into the middle of the net to make a save on a pass. Just think about what angle you're at, because there is a big difference between being on the goal line and hugging the post versus hugging the post while you're body is facing the corner more.

Hounsy

Dec 28, 2003
A wonderful location
Visit site
You say you are stepping off the post. that shouldn't happen your either planted or moving towards the shooter to eat some angle on a shot, are you getting caught cheating for a pass?

Analyzer*

You say you are stepping off the post. that shouldn't happen your either planted or moving towards the shooter to eat some angle on a shot, are you getting caught cheating for a pass?

Yeah, I'm usually expecting the pass, so I step off just a bit so I'm not much closer Pretty much just enough room for the ball to squeak in and it always does.

I'm not a high level goalie and these aren't high level players, but they seem to get me every time. :laugh:

Siamese Dream

Feb 5, 2011
United Britain of Great Kingdom
I'd hug the post and just constantly be ready to push hard off the post to slide into the middle of the net to make a save on a pass. Just think about what angle you're at, because there is a big difference between being on the goal line and hugging the post versus hugging the post while you're body is facing the corner more.

I was taught if the puck/ball is on or behind the goal line, you should hug the post with your pads facing outwards and just turn you head to look, then when they move a few inches above the goal line you should then turn your pads to face them in case they shoot

Here's an instructional video for inline goaltenders, about using the VH pad setup which might be helpful too, and I would recommend his other videos.

Last edited:

Hounsy

Dec 28, 2003
A wonderful location
Visit site
Yeah, I'm usually expecting the pass, so I step off just a bit so I'm not much closer Pretty much just enough room for the ball to squeak in and it always does.

I'm not a high level goalie and these aren't high level players, but they seem to get me every time. :laugh:

Better to get burned on a cross pass play than picked short side. Stay committed to the puck/ball carrier and stop trying to do to much.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
228816_10150300080962360_4337932_n.jpg

Here's a pic of me in the ABHL a couple years back. There is no holes that the shooter can get on that side. Take a few glances at their pass options, if you see the ball leave their stick for a pass, push out into the threat and be ready for the shot.

As said by others, being beat on a pass is far more acceptable than getting beat short side from a bad angle.

the VH works, but it's better for ice because you can push across with more momentum, if they pass across, you have to lift your flared leg to jump across (or risk ruining your pads on the pavement for play-on) which exposes five-hole. Push, guys can curve the ball around you if they step out enough and you aren't loaded + ready to push across.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad