When should we start to sell & trade?

Apr 14, 2009
Canada
Winning some games the past month and a half was fun, but it's time to hop back on the tank train. We all know this is what this team needs in order to have future success. I would start trading away assets for futures, but only if the deal is right. No need to rush anything, but at the same time look back to last year, when we held onto Green, and got nothing. It's definitely time to start shopping Nyquist, Vanek, Howard, Jensen to see what the market for these players is at the moment.

Winning was fun for a bit, now let's get back to the bottom of the standings.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
Winning some games the past month and a half was fun, but it's time to hop back on the tank train. We all know this is what this team needs in order to have future success. I would start trading away assets for futures, but only if the deal is right. No need to rush anything, but at the same time look back to last year, when we held onto Green, and got nothing. It's definitely time to start shopping Nyquist, Vanek, Howard, Jensen to see what the market for these players is at the moment.

I mostly agree, but it's also a balance of wanting to still have enough of a roster so the Larkins and AAs and Cholowskis of the world can still learn and develop, instead of getting shelled 8-0 every night.

Ideally, they lose a majority of the games to secure a top 5 pick, but keep things together just enough that the kids don't totally hit a wall. But I don't see any reason at all why you wouldn't listen to any potential deals - that's free - while trying to land a good return for at least a couple players by the deadline.

FireBird71

Aug 6, 2015

The players and coaches aren’t hopping on any tank train

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
ones again, there is no Dahlin next year to draft , instead plenty good centers in the bottom half of the first . There is no reason to tank , just trade some assets for the feature, not braking chemistry and still have some veterans to help prospects in their development

Reactions: Hronek

GMR

Jul 27, 2013
Parts Unknown
The better question is, which of Detroit's players are actually appealing to other teams?

Ericsson should be a NO. Would anyone want Abdelkader? Probably not. I can see teams wanting Nielsen or Vanek for some scoring depth. Howard is a solid filler but teams that make deadline moves are typically ones with serious playoff hopes. Which team would be stupid enough to want Howard as a playoff starter?

The only appealing players we have besides a Vanek or Nielsen are younger guys and fringe prospects.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Bad Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
The better question is, which of Detroit's players are actually appealing to other teams?

Ericsson should be a NO. Would anyone want Abdelkader? Probably not. I can see teams wanting Nielsen or Vanek for some scoring depth. Howard is a solid filler but teams that make deadline moves are typically ones with serious playoff hopes. Which team would be stupid enough to want Howard as a playoff starter?

The only appealing players we have besides a Vanek or Nielsen are younger guys and fringe prospects.
Gustav Nyquist.

Just last year Philly traded with us to acquire a struggling goalie for their playoff push offering as much as a 2nd rounder if he made it worth their while, and he got us a 3rd round pick for an expiring contract.

GMR

Jul 27, 2013
Parts Unknown
Gustav Nyquist.

Just last year Philly traded with us to acquire a struggling goalie for their playoff push offering as much as a 2nd rounder if he made it worth their while, and he got us a 3rd round pick for an expiring contract.
I forgot about Nyquist. He's small, soft, and doesn't score in the playoffs. Also, he's pushing 30. However, he's putting up points this season so that will help his marketability. If Holland can fleece someone like he did last year when Nyquist's twin was traded, that would be awesome.

Good point on Mrazek, but he's significantly younger than Howard. The Flyers were thinking maybe he'd be a reclamation project.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Bad Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
I forgot about Nyquist. He's small, soft, and doesn't score in the playoffs. Also, he's pushing 30. However, he's putting up points this season so that will help his marketability. If Holland can fleece someone like he did last year when Nyquist's twin was traded, that would be awesome.

Good point on Mrazek, but he's significantly younger than Howard. The Flyers were thinking maybe he'd be a reclamation project.
Nyquist has made every line he touches better this season, as a pure rental they don't care about him being near 30. He's doing a lot of good things out on the ice and I'm sure the pro scouts see it too.
At the price of and additional 3rd round pick and a 4 million dollar qualifier I doubt they had any intention of resigning Mrazek outside of actually carrying them to the CFs on his back.

I'm just hoping to add at least 1 more top 40 pick and hoping the Isles start floundering a bit.

RedWingsfan55

Jan 5, 2015
Well look at last year with green and our plan to wait until the TDL. Worked out REALLY WELL.

Coming sense says you sell as soon as you get an offer you like. Rather it's now or a month from now or at the TDL.

Reactions: lilidk

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->