When should we start to sell & trade?

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

The Official Ghost of Space Ghosts Monkey
Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
With DDK out 4-6 weeks, Green out 3-5 & Mantha out 4-6 + plus Helm's injury, our playoff hopes, slim as they were, are probably 1% now or less...is it time to start being a bit more proactive in trading/selling? I'm not suggesting selling low or from a place of weakness, but with the TDL 2.5 months away &

1. teams needing to salvage their season we may have more teams willing to trade

..and the teams looking to solidify their playoff hopes (PO teams/contenders/favorites), should we to do now/sooner rather than "later", waiting for the "perfect" or "best" offer?

for either of these options, especially #1, we could retain max, which would be really appealing.

I feel like the TDL is like musical chairs & knowing the prices are highest around the TDL, we should move lesser piece(s) now/soon (Daley/Big E) yeah, yeah NTC...so KH doesn't get caught with his pants down & no dance partner a la Green last season.

Nyquist & Howard being our best trade chips should be held til closer to the TDL for best offer(s), & for the development of the kids. These injuries are a blessing in disguise & to the hockey Gods, since we're not tanking for Hughes on purpose, we deserve him. (please & thanks in advance).

Last edited:
Reactions: Hughes Hefner

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
You sell, when the buyers come. Those are still on waiting mode, many will test their own guys or need that cap space to grow more towards the deadline.

I'm quite sure many teams have their own buying deadlines because of this.

Before that happens, you can't sell.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
^^^Not just cap space but I think there is also a sense of risk management. Go with Tarasenko since he's been brought up elsewhere. Let's say Nashville swings a deal for him tomorrow, gives up a bunch of assets but nothing seroius from their team, and they are going to gangbusters. Then Josi has a concussion in February. Or Rinne blows a knee out. They got a great player in Tarasenko, but they now have a massive hole in their team and they are unlikely to have the assets needed to really address it.

Wait until ~60 games in, the chances of something happening in the last 20 games is still there, but it's less likely and it's easier to mitigate the risk a bit by sitting people, reducing ice times, etc. It makes a lot of sense for buyers to wait.

razor ray

May 8, 2011
L
You sell, when the buyers come. Those are still on waiting mode, many will test their own guys or need that cap space to grow more towards the deadline.

I'm quite sure many teams have their own buying deadlines because of this.

Before that happens, you can't sell.

I agree. The closer to the trade deadline the more value players are with retention. My hope is Detroit stays with the plan of building the farm system and adding quality young pieces for the future. Still so much dead wight to get off the books its another year or two of pain.

KasperTheGrittyGhost

Jan 12, 2008
Michigan
I think if you’ve evaluated your own roster and set a market value goal for the players on your trade block, take the deals that meet your expectations. If Holland would move Howard for a 1st, and Hellebucyck or Rinna blowout their knee tomorrow then you take that phone call and make that deal.

Reactions: jkutswings

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
Right now you keep the prices high and see if someone's desperate and bites. I think in 4-6 weeks we'll start to see teams begin adding pieces for the playoffs. I do think, though, that Howard is the best veteran option out there for a team looking to solidify their goaltending for the rest of the year.

I feel like the TDL is like musical chairs & knowing the prices are highest around the TDL, we should move lesser piece(s) now/soon (Daley/Big E) yeah, yeah NTC...so KH doesn't get caught with his pants down & no dance partner a la Green last season.

Green was injured.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Too many injuries to sell right now. You wait until players start to get healthy and evaluate.

Very few teams are desperate to add early in the season. This makes it unlikely that you get a better price at the 30 or 40 game mark than you get at the TDL.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
^^^Not just cap space but I think there is also a sense of risk management. Go with Tarasenko since he's been brought up elsewhere. Let's say Nashville swings a deal for him tomorrow, gives up a bunch of assets but nothing seroius from their team, and they are going to gangbusters. Then Josi has a concussion in February. Or Rinne blows a knee out. They got a great player in Tarasenko, but they now have a massive hole in their team and they are unlikely to have the assets needed to really address it.

Wait until ~60 games in, the chances of something happening in the last 20 games is still there, but it's less likely and it's easier to mitigate the risk a bit by sitting people, reducing ice times, etc. It makes a lot of sense for buyers to wait.

The year we got bounced by Nashville after trading for Quincey is a pretty good example of the last part just conspiring against you.

But I completely agree in terms of why a lot of teams wait. I do think the time to move Howard is right after the Holidays. That is another optics part of this. As close as we are getting to Christmas I wouldn't do this for the impact on what other players would be thinking around the league. They watch stuff like that and we are going to be dipping our toes into free agency for some big game hunting the next few years. The Wings enjoy a pretty good reputation in terms of how they treat guys Krupp and Cujo notwithstanding they have generally done a lot right in terms of the message around the PA.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Green gets injured at the worst time. It's like he's plotting to never leave.

Green wasn't going anywhere this year anyway... Daley is the guy with term that they might try to convince out the door. This team still desperately needs Green as his play and importance when in the lineup is proving. Hopefully he can be healthier next year when they would look to move him again but he is pretty darn valuable to this team and really is helping with the development of our younger core pieces in my opinion.

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
Even with the injuries to DDK & Green, we could still trade a Daley/E (if either would waive early), we can keep Hronek up & call up Hicketts/Sulak/Lashoff & play Witkowski...it's getting close to the time to at least start considering tanking for Hughes.

play 7 D most nights.

Cholo-Daley
Kronner-Hronek
Witkowski-Jensen
+1 of:
Sulak/Hicketts/Lashoff

Last edited:

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
Right now you keep the prices high and see if someone's desperate and bites. I think in 4-6 weeks we'll start to see teams begin adding pieces for the playoffs. I do think, though, that Howard is the best veteran option out there for a team looking to solidify their goaltending for the rest of the year.

Green was injured
Yes, I know Green was injured, my point was that we only had 3 suitors (TBL, TOR & WSH) iirc and Green would only waive for WSH/TBL. So the earlier in the process, maybe we have more options/suitors before the buyers get their slots filled. Green was probably not the best example for my OP.

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
I think Howard's our most attractive piece right now and we should take it very seriously. I know Holland put it out there that he wants a 1st but I hope he's slightly flexible on that. My gut says the market is such that he might be able to get a 1st but who knows. There are teams out there who should think they've got a real shot save for their goalie fiasco. Calgary comes to mind. Howard is a consistently solid goalie who is putting up great performances this year. I think he should be a priority for Holland.

I know Green has term left but that's not a dealbreaker all the time. He is still our best defenseman and a good depth add who can still QB a PP in case your guy goes down. A right handed shot to boot.

But there's plenty of time till the deadline. There's no reason to take the first deal you hear. Let the offers come in. Holland doesn't have to be desperate.

Steve Yzerlland

Jul 18, 2018
Yes, I know Green was injured, my point was that we only had 3 suitors (TBL, TOR & WSH) iirc and Green would only waive for WSH/TBL. So the earlier in the process, maybe we have more options/suitors before the buyers get their slots filled. Green was probably not the best example for my OP.
Holland is not going to trade Green. He didn't last year at the deadline resigned him and gave him a NTC.... not happening.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Right like Green was going to be dealt at the 2019 TDL, He has a full NTC until 2020 he's not going anywhere until at least then. And i believe he has a 10 team trade list then.

I get it if you're in the lets lose 82 games crowd. But man I expected this to be a rough stretch before all the injuries.

This team hasn't played very well with Green out going back to last season. I actually think Holland should start pointing to that in terms of his value for the deadline next year. But Green was out for our disaster finish to last year, our disaster start and is likely to miss our second worse stretch of hockey as he is going to be out in December and early January which were going to be rough with him anyway in my opinion.

I think that actually might help Green if someone can get over just how fragile his health is to begin with in terms of Mike Green has a pretty noticeable impact on this team. He is an important piece for us, I am not sure he is even on his last contract here depending on how a few things go this draft and off-season.

Wingsfan 4 life

Oct 9, 2016
Holland proactive in trades? Guy only turns his phone on two times a year. At/near the TDL and the draft. Last year, AA forced him outside his comfort zone, but other than that, its been February and June for the past decade regardless if we were buyers or sellers.

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
Holland proactive in trades? Guy only turns his phone on two times a year. At/near the TDL and the draft. Last year, AA forced him outside his comfort zone, but other than that, its been February and June for the past decade regardless if we were buyers or sellers.
Yeah, I was clear about not wanting to sign Green to a new deal after we missed out on trading him when he was injured. My priority was giving us the best odds at drafting an elite player who would play at a championship level every single night for 10-15 years. Holland obviously prioritizes maximizing his 1% chance of making the playoffs. At this point I don't care what the f*** he does, I just want him gone. At the rate we're going we will miss out on every high quality center available in this upcoming draft. We're gonna be stuck with Larkin as our 1C. Los Angeles is gonna retool on the fly real f***ing quick when their top two centers are Hughes and Kopitar and they've got Doughty and a reasonably healthy Quick. Those are 4 elite players. We have zero elite players and will not get one after this summer's draft.

As far as I'm concerned Holland cannot leave for Seattle soon enough.

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
I do not think the value of goalies goes up closer to the deadline. I would say sooner rather than later would e the ideal time to deal Howard.

Nyquist however screams deadline day deal along with Daley.

If a decent deal is made for Howard tomorrow we should take it, I just don't see though by whom.

Mike Smith has rebounded
The blues are not making the playoffs
Would Pittsburgh move on from Murray?
Maybe Edmonton?
I see Philly going after Bobrovosky so why waste assets on Jimmy

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
I do not think the value of goalies goes up closer to the deadline. I would say sooner rather than later would e the ideal time to deal Howard.

Value of goalies goes up 100% based on season-ending injuries. Or regular season-ending, which enables to use full LTIR.

Every contender has a great starter (expect maybe the Pens), and If they are even half-good, the won't pull the trigger.

We just need some bad luck for somebody, to lucky be ourselves.

We should start making our voo-doo dolls...

Nyquist however screams deadline day deal along with Daley.

If a decent deal is made for Howard tomorrow we should take it, I just don't see though by whom.

Agree with this. Pull the trigger instantly if the buyer comes. The whole season story could be that there's a chance between 0 and 1 buyers, so you complete it instantly.

Mike Smith has rebounded
The blues are not making the playoffs
Would Pittsburgh move on from Murray?
Maybe Edmonton?
I see Philly going after Bobrovosky so why waste assets on Jimmy

- Flames has a great backup in Rittch, Smith is still bad but they won't need an upgrade. They give 100% chance for Rittich, is Smith fails.
- Yep, Blues are out of the scenario, their season is already over.
- Pittsburgh is the most probable option, if Murray fails again after his return. I could see a trade Howard<>Murray.
- Edmonton doesn't need anybody, Koskinen is already their possible home-run hit.
- Philadelphia doesn't need anybody either, they could just promote Carter Hart from AHL, their future star goaltender. Only some lunatic decision from Holmgren, like preventing Howard going to Pittsburgh and signing him by himself could be a scenario.

Injuries for:

- Vasilevskiy
- Andersen
- Hellebuyck
- Holtby
- Bobrovsky
- Murray
- Dubnyk
- Varlamov
- Bishop
- Jones
- Fleury

That's what we should hope for. Injuries for those guys, condenter starters without a decent backup.

Nashville, Calgary and Boston can go to the playoffs with their decent backups.

I think and injury for Bobrovsky could be the best of all injuries. Columbus could trade him away, because they are gonna lose him anyways and get a replacement. CBJ could fix the goalie situation at summer, but try some playoff-push at this season.

Detroit could get some incentive about the trade help, and could also have chance to negotiate an extension before anybody else.

Last edited:

GrGriffins

Jan 30, 2017
Grand Rapids, MI
Holland is "trolling around the lake" sort of speak when it comes to Howard. He states to all the other 30 GM's that if you want to trade for Howard, it will cost you your 2019 1st round pick. Now he is sitting back waiting for that 1 team that will need a goaltender to take them to the promise land. Just like in fishing, when you troll around the lake, it make take several trips around the lake before you get your first bite at your bait. The situation (#1 goaltender of a contending team has a long term injury/out for the season) has quite happened yet for a team to make that move towards Howard. Howard will most likely resign for the Wings, just hope he does not do a Mike Green from last season and gets hurt just before the TDL to where you end up with damaged goods and you end up stuck with him for the rest of the season.

You figure that Nyquist and Daley would be your 2 other prize TDL traders for the Wings when it gets closer to that time. Depends on where the Wings are at in the standings and what other teams are leaning on what they will do that will decide where these players end up. Should be an interesting TDL deadline for this season.

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
I would start with Vanek. His departure will not effect chemistry we have. Don't forget that team playing hard , and stand for each other. I believe it's going to be about 15 very good ,not generational players, at the next draft. We going to get next summer very good first round player, and just like in 2014 ,

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->