When NHL opens their gates: Will the ticket prize fall down?

Centrum Hockey

Aug 2, 2018
In that case, I guess the Jets will fold.
There is no way a Big 4 professional team will be allowed to fold. If a team like the jets can no longer operate and its impossible to find a new owner or a workable situation in their current city. The league will take control of the franchise and find a suitable relocation site and owner.

Jets4Life

Dec 25, 2003
Westward Ho, Alberta
There is no way a Big 4 professional team will be allowed to fold. If a team like the jets can no longer operate and its impossible to find a new owner or a workable situation in their current city. The league will take control of the franchise and find a suitable relocation site and owner.
Not if there is a pandemic or another great depression.

Barclay Donaldson

Feb 4, 2018
Tatooine
Not if there is a pandemic or another great depression.

The Jets will be fine. TNSE uses them as a loss leader already to stimulate the revenues for their non-hockey related assets. They won't let the Jets leave because while the Jets might not make money themselves, they bring in a ton of revenue for their other businesses. Hockey was fine during the Recession, and the NHL actually saw attendance and average ticket price increase during the world financial collapse in 2007-08. For this pandemic, things are reopening worldwide in the next few weeks and everything will move quickly after that. Expect there to be precautions, lots of them, but the Jets will be fine through any economic or pandemic crises.

Centrum Hockey

Aug 2, 2018
The Jets will be fine. TNSE uses them as a loss leader already to stimulate the revenues for their non-hockey related assets. They won't let the Jets leave because while the Jets might not make money themselves, they bring in a ton of revenue for their other businesses. Hockey was fine during the Recession, and the NHL actually saw attendance and average ticket price increase during the world financial collapse in 2007-08. For this pandemic, things are reopening worldwide in the next few weeks and everything will move quickly after that. Expect there to be precautions, lots of them, but the Jets will be fine through any economic or pandemic crises.
It would be smart for TNSE to try to come up with a plan for the Moose to play in a city other than Winnipeg for multiple reasons.

Reactions: Jets4Life

Barclay Donaldson

Feb 4, 2018
Tatooine
It would be smart for TNSE to try to come up with a plan for the Moose to play in a city other than Winnipeg for multiple reasons.

TNSE tried and gave up that endeavor a long time ago. There is no market that offers decent call-up times and travel. Thunder Bay was their consensus landing place until the public funding for their arena never appeared. LETTER: AHL Manitoba Moose in Winnipeg looks long term - TBNewsWatch.com Jan 2014: Jets' AHL team could move to Thunder Bay: Chipman.

Reactions: CHRDANHUTCH

Barclay Donaldson

Feb 4, 2018
Tatooine
they already have.....what was the 1st iteration of the St. John's Ice Caps, Centrum....

I think what he meant was a long-term home, which St. John's never was. The Manitoba Moose relocated because they didn't want the Jets to share the arena with the Moose, and it was never meant to be their permanent home. TNSE were publicly quoted in early 2014 that they were looking to relocate the Moose closer to Winnipeg, with Thunder Bay being the intended location.

Reactions: Centrum Hockey

Mightygoose

Nov 5, 2012
Ajax, ON
IIRC, the Jets lost money last year because they spent to the cap and got eliminated early losing out on future playoff gates.

Otherwise, when they're a mid cap team they have been profitable...going by the Forbes numbers of course. Chipman even said they would only be a cap team when they've in a contention window.

Similar to how the Sens can show a profit by keeping a low payroll coupled with their low attendance.

Reactions: Llama19

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
I think what he meant was a long-term home, which St. John's never was. The Manitoba Moose relocated because they didn't want the Jets to share the arena with the Moose, and it was never meant to be their permanent home. TNSE were publicly quoted in early 2014 that they were looking to relocate the Moose closer to Winnipeg, with Thunder Bay being the intended location.
disagree:

TNSE Bought Atlanta to MTSC..... that's why the Moose were flipped to St. John's on a leased deal while TNSE focused on restarting Jets 2.0.... BD, Once that was done, the team returned to Winnipeg

Barclay Donaldson

Feb 4, 2018
Tatooine
IIRC, the Jets lost money last year because they spent to the cap and got eliminated early losing out on future playoff gates.

Otherwise, when they're a mid cap team they have been profitable...going by the Forbes numbers of course. Chipman even said they would only be a cap team when they've in a contention window.

Similar to how the Sens can show a profit by keeping a low payroll coupled with their low attendance.

Jets lost more than $7 million last year. When they are anywhere close to the cap, the only way they can break even is with a long playoff run. The team only made money the first few years because of how little money they were spending. If the team was to be that bad now, without the newness effect which is documented to already be wearing off, they would be losing a lot of money despite spending less of it.

The Sens are only making money because their actual salary expense is $10 million less than their cap hit. If they weren't engaging in borderline cap circumvention, they would be losing money as well.

disagree:

TNSE Bought Atlanta to MTSC..... that's why the Moose were flipped to St. John's on a leased deal while TNSE focused on restarting Jets 2.0.... BD, Once that was done, the team returned to Winnipeg

That's you admitting the Jets did not intend on staying in St. John's for the long-term and only intended to stay for the short-term. Thanks for agreeing with me.

Centrum Hockey

Aug 2, 2018
That's Exactly what i meant in a market like Winnipeg the NHL team needs 100 percent of the market share having a AHL team in the same building is not ideal. Going back to the ticket prices discussion if i where true north i would not want people seeing moose home games as a cheaper alternative to the jets when Winnipeg only has so much wealth to go around.

Reactions: Barclay Donaldson

Barclay Donaldson

Feb 4, 2018
Tatooine
That's Exactly what i meant in a market like Winnipeg the NHL team needs 100 percent of the market share having a AHL team in the same building is not ideal. Going back to the ticket prices discussion if i where true north i would not want people seeing moose home games as a cheaper alternative to the jets when Winnipeg only has so much wealth to go around.

Unfortunately there are zero options for them once Thunder Bay didn't provide the public funding for an arena. Outside of TB, there isn't a single market, even from unavailable ones, that offers anything resembling decent travel and decent call-ups.

Mightygoose

Nov 5, 2012
Ajax, ON

I wonder how much having the WHL in town cuts into the lead in ticket buyers too.

As long as they have the w/l with in STs and with most of them in multi-year contracts, I don't see any significant price reduction, if any once fans are allowed in building again.

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
Jets lost more than $7 million last year. When they are anywhere close to the cap, the only way they can break even is with a long playoff run. The team only made money the first few years because of how little money they were spending. If the team was to be that bad now, without the newness effect which is documented to already be wearing off, they would be losing a lot of money despite spending less of it.

The Sens are only making money because their actual salary expense is $10 million less than their cap hit. If they weren't engaging in borderline cap circumvention, they would be losing money as well.

That's you admitting the Jets did not intend on staying in St. John's for the long-term and only intended to stay for the short-term. Thanks for agreeing with me.
Montreal did the same exact thing TNSE DID.....BD..... Why did Hamilton go from from AHL to OHL while waiting for Laval to be approved.....

Barclay Donaldson

Feb 4, 2018
Tatooine
Montreal did the same exact thing TNSE DID.....BD..... Why did Hamilton go from from AHL to OHL while waiting for Laval to be approved.....

First sentence is not a complete sentence. Second, Hamilton went from the AHL to OHL because the AHL Bulldogs had been sold to the Montréal Canadiens. Hamilton and Andlauer realized they would not be able to attract another AHL team, so they chose their next best option: the OHL and the cheapest franchise they could get, which turned out to be Belleville Bulls.

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
First sentence is not a complete sentence. Second, Hamilton went from the AHL to OHL because the AHL Bulldogs had been sold to the Montréal Canadiens. Hamilton and Andlauer realized they would not be able to attract another AHL team, so they chose their next best option: the OHL and the cheapest franchise they could get, which turned out to be Belleville Bulls.
wrong, as usual.....Montreal didn't own them..... Andlauer did... and still does BD STOP acting like you know everything because YOU weren't around in the AHL era

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA
Between people being tighter on money and hesitance to go into a sports arena (at least by a certain portion of the population), demand drops.

When supply remains the same and demand drops...well, you know what happens.

Barclay Donaldson

Feb 4, 2018
Tatooine
wrong, as usual.....Montreal didn't own them..... Andlauer did... and still does BD STOP acting like you know everything because YOU weren't around in the AHL era

Lol. You really need to get a grip on things.

Montréal bought the Hamilton Bulldogs from Andlauer and relocated them to St. John's. That's why the Canadiens were able to move them to St. John's. BULLDOGS ANNOUNCE SALE OF AHL FRANCHISE TO MONTREAL CANADIENS, ANDLAUER PURCHASES OHL’S BELLEVILLE BULLS – Hamilton Bulldogs

Andlauer then bought the Belleville Bulls. https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/hami...nchise-buy-the-ohl-belleville-bulls-1.2992840

Just because I wasn't around in the AHL era doesn't make me wrong, just makes me younger than you. You were around, but you are clearly wrong about this one. Thanks for trying though, I really appreciate it. Maybe you would have gotten this one right if you went to a few Mariners ECHL games.:sarcasm:

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
Lol. You really need to get a grip on things.

Montréal bought the Hamilton Bulldogs from Andlauer and relocated them to St. John's. That's why the Canadiens were able to move them to St. John's. BULLDOGS ANNOUNCE SALE OF AHL FRANCHISE TO MONTREAL CANADIENS, ANDLAUER PURCHASES OHL’S BELLEVILLE BULLS – Hamilton Bulldogs

Andlauer then bought the Belleville Bulls. https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/hami...nchise-buy-the-ohl-belleville-bulls-1.2992840

Just because I wasn't around in the AHL era doesn't make me wrong, just makes me younger than you. You were around, but you are clearly wrong about this one. Thanks for trying though, I really appreciate it. Maybe you would have gotten this one right if you went to a few Mariners ECHL games.:sarcasm:
you're the one who needs to stop acting like you know everything about hockey, BD ADIOS FAKE FAN

Barclay Donaldson

Feb 4, 2018
Tatooine
you're the one who needs to stop acting like you know everything about hockey, BD ADIOS FAKE FAN

Typical Hutch play. Gets proven wrong and then tries to change the subject.

Hahaha you calling me a fake fan? My goodness look in the mirror. You haven't been to see your local team play a single time. I have season tickets to my local team. Go watch some Portland Pirates highlights on YouTube.

Just because I'm right doesn't mean I'm a know-it-all. It means I know how to find information better than you. You've been warned about citing sources before. I've cited mine, have plenty of evidence to back it up, let's see yours.

Jets4Life

Dec 25, 2003
Westward Ho, Alberta

First off, the economy will be in it's worst shape since the 1930s. The NHL lost several clubs during that time. I don't think you are grasping the magnitude of the pandemic. This is likely going to last well into 2022, and the unemployment rate could reach 30%. If that happens, and 2020-21 is played with no fans, you can say goodbye to at least 5 or 6 NHL clubs. The next few years are going to be the hardest the World has adjusted to in a century. Professional sports are going to suffer greatly.

Reactions: NCRanger

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
First off, the economy will be in it's worst shape since the 1930s. The NHL lost several clubs during that time. I don't think you are grasping the magnitude of the pandemic. This is likely going to last well into 2022, and the unemployment rate could reach 30%. If that happens, and 2020-21 is played with no fans, you can say goodbye to at least 5 or 6 NHL clubs. The next few years are going to be the hardest the World has adjusted to in a century. Professional sports are going to suffer greatly.

The NHL is still not going to get rid of teams.

Jets4Life

Dec 25, 2003
Westward Ho, Alberta
The NHL is still not going to get rid of teams.
You really think the NHL can sustain 31 teams, if the pandemic forces the league to play in front of no fans for the next two years? It's a gate driven league. I admire your optimism, but I really doubt all 31 teams will survive this. People are going to cut out entertainment and luxury items before anything else, and that includes pro sports tickets.

Reactions: NCRanger

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
You really think the NHL can sustain 31 teams, if the pandemic forces the league to play in front of no fans for the next two years? It's a gate driven league. I admire your optimism, but I really doubt all 31 teams will survive this. People are going to cut out entertainment and luxury items before anything else, and that includes pro sports tickets.

And there is no way in hell any sports is going to have no fans until mid point of years 2022 that just not going to happen.

Cutting teams is the last resort, there is a lot of things that will happen before that like reducing the salary cap. The NHL just expanded twice collecting 1.15b dollars. They didn't cut teams after the 05 lost season. They didn't cut teams after the 08 recession they won't cut teams now. Oh there is a such concept as selling teams and NHL finding new owners or relocating a couple teams. They still won't get rid of any teams.

Oh btw the last league to actually folded teams was MLS in the 90's cause they were on the verge of actually shut down permanently. Its not that drastic where its a difference between having a league or having no league. If the league was in bad shape to where this virus would cause them to fold teams, they wouldn't have expanded to Vegas and Seattle in the first place, they would have relocated teams and kept at 30.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad