TBN: When it comes to Rasmus Dahlin, Ralph Krueger taking a measured approach

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
Mike Harrington commentary on Dahlin's benching for the last 9 1/2 minutes in regulation in the Sabres 3-2 shootout win over Florida.

Initially, the decision seemed curious. Dahlin didn't contribute to a goal against the Sabres. He played 17:56 and had six shot attempts. Sometimes Krueger seems to go on feel, and he clearly felt Dahlin was a little worn down.

Dahlin's last shift of the third period seemed to indicate that. In one 65-second span, he missed the puck behind the net, then missed a check behind the net and had a turnover below the goal line. All on the same 65-second shift. Krueger and defensive assistant Steve Smith decided that was enough for regulation (Dahlin took one shift in overtime).

Said Krueger:
"We've gone 11 days in a row without a day off to start the season. There's been a lot of effort invested in getting the results that we've had. You could see a few guys tapering off, and we just thought we were protecting them in that little stretch down there. We knew Florida was going to push hard so we went with a little more experience. But Rasmus has played outstanding with his learning and growing every day, and there's going to be moments like that where we going to reduce the lineup to go with the guys we think have the best chance of closing. He will definitely be in that mix eventually."

Dahlin comments:
"I know there will be times that don't go as well. I understand that. When it doesn't feel right, just put the puck in down low, get our guys to work it. I really found that out last year and started to learn from it. It's not fun when nothing happens, but you've just got to play your best, play easy at times. It's important to know that."

Steve Smith (Defense coach): (from training camp)
I want to give his parents a hug every day because he’s such a nice kid and he really, truly, for a young guy, he’s wise beyond his years. He wants to get better. He likes to listen. He doesn’t have a problem with criticism. He wants to know if he’s done right or wrong. He truly tries to please every day. Add that component to all the ability he has, that’s why we all feel he has an opportunity to become a star in the league. He talked about how difficult it was to go through the second half of the season and not winning many games, which tells you the competitiveness in the young man. He did run out of steam at about midseason last year and we did have to back off from him. We had to leave him alone and keep him out of the gym. We talked a little bit about if he’s eating right and sleeping right. Whether that 82-game schedule versus the 30- or 40-game schedule overseas was starting to get to him. He was smart enough to know when to push it hard and when to back off."

Playing without the Puck

Krueger draws Taylor Hall parallel with Dahlin:
"Taylor did not know there was a game without the puck really because he had the puck all the time in junior. He was the very first player I worked with closely. ... I remember the conversations with him. To see him become the player he is today, he's like one of your kids in the history of your coaching. For sure, there's a lot of parallels there."

Dahlin:
"It's different to know what to do without the puck. Playing the first year all 82 games, you get used to it. It's very important to learn what to do when you don't have it. You don't want to get scored on and you have to be in the right spots at the right time."

Reactions: Ginger Papa

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->