When is the last time the Habs landed a "big fish"?

hockeyfan2k11

Jun 11, 2011
I don't get why fans here get their hopes up anytime a big time player is on the block or a UFA. For whatever reason, they just don't seem to come to Montreal.

Thinking back....I'd say the last big fish was Turgeon? Maybe I'm missing a name or two.

Uber Coca

Apr 23, 2003
Montreal
I don't know. Cammalleri, to me, isn't a big fish. He's a complementary player. Hossa, for example, is a first-class player and should be considered a big fish. Given this logic, not in the last decade or more.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
I don't know. Cammalleri, to me, isn't a big fish. He's a complementary player. Hossa, for example, is a first-class player and should be considered a big fish. Given this logic, not in the last decade or more.

Then if a PPG 40 goal scorer is complementary there wasn't a lot of big fish.
You guys just want the moon. ...

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
I don't get why fans here get their hopes up anytime a big time player is on the block or a UFA. For whatever reason, they just don't seem to come to Montreal.

Thinking back....I'd say the last big fish was Turgeon? Maybe I'm missing a name or two.

Gomez Cammalleri

Usually the "big fish" in the NHL are the ones you want to avoid. 8 times out of 10 it goes sour.

Lecavalier(2009 edition)
Richards
Bryzgalov
Drury
Briere
Gomez(NYR and Montreal editions)
Ehrhoff
Bouwmeester
Campbell
Dipietro(not a UFA but huge contract)
Sundin(did very lettle for VCR)
Yashin(trade not UFA but huge bust)
Redden

Others could be an issue down the road:

Hossa(ok for now, his contract could be a big issue down the road)
Parise and Suter(huge risk with length of contracts and new rules)
Kovalchuk(if he retires early there are huge cap ramnifications)

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Gomez Cammalleri

Usually the "big fish" in the NHL are the ones you want to avoid. 8 times out of 10 it goes sour.

Lecavalier(2009 edition)
Richards
Bryzgalov
Drury
Briere
Gomez(NYR and Montreal editions)
Ehrhoff
Bouwmeester
Campbell
Dipietro(not a UFA but huge contract)
Sundin(did very lettle for VCR)
Yashin(trade not UFA but huge bust)
Redden

Others could be an issue down the road:

Hossa(ok for now, his contract could be a big issue down the road)
Parise and Suter(huge risk with length of contracts and new rules)
Kovalchuk(if he retires early there are huge cap ramnifications)

Hossa was a major part of two championship team I think he paid his due diligence

TennisMenace

Jul 3, 2008
Buffalo
I agree, Cammy and Gionta were the only big fish and both were not BIG, so I guess you have to say, Little Fish.

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
Hossa was a major part of two championship team I think he paid his due diligence

Still, he's a complimentary piece. And while that big fish did well, ask Chicago fans about Campbell and Huet.

Montreal will bring in players when we have team that can compete for the cup. And we're moving in the right direction.

Jabba11

Hockey Lobby
Nov 28, 2009
hockeylobby.blogspot.com
This time:

carey%20price%20fishing%20trip.jpg

Saint Patrick

2 rings in my hears
Feb 14, 2007
Last big fish we got was Kovalev in my opinion. All other players we had since him were just not good fits with the team, for whatever reason. Its great to aim for big impact players but sometimes they just dont have that impact with your team.

Uber Coca

Apr 23, 2003
Montreal
Last big fish we got was Kovalev in my opinion. All other players we had since him were just not good fits with the team, for whatever reason. Its great to aim for big impact players but sometimes they just dont have that impact with your team.

Kovalev was traded.

Coldplay

Courage
Aug 21, 2008
Montréal
Alex Kovalev
Erik Cole
Scott Gomez
Brian Gionta
Mike Cammalleri
Jaroslav Spacek :)sarcasm:)
Sergei Samsonov :)sarcasm: :sarcasm:)
Bryan Smolinski :)sarcasm: :sarcasm: :sarcasm:)
Chris Campoli :)sarcasm: :sarcasm: :sarcasm: :sarcasm:)

Say what you want about each of those players, but we did win out on them.

I guess you can throw Brandon Prust in there, since he was pursued by numerous teams too.

lou4gehrig

Bedard 2023
Aug 2, 2005
We landed Subban in the draft. We won the Norris. And Galchenyuk. Also in the draft. Both are pretty big fish IMHO.

Big fish rarely make it to free agency. And when they do there's probably a reason their teams let them go (ie Richards, Gaborik, etc.)

rickthegoon

Feb 25, 2012
Honestly, I'd have to say when Capt. Kirk Muller was brought in.....and the year later when Damphousse came in. Both were top scorers and brought their A game. Kirk Muller was, in my opinion a Uber captain, and one of the main reasons our team brought home the cup in 93.

lou4gehrig

Bedard 2023
Aug 2, 2005

Sounds like you're upset that our franchise isn't as stupid as Philadelphia. Who just paid $40M for 1.5 seasons of Bryzgalov. So unless we're as stupid, then we're not going to land the "big fish" as you call them without massive overpayment.

Our endeavours to compete with such franchises (Gionta, Camm, Spacek, Hamrlik, etc) have been unmitigated failures.

Jakomyte

Dec 14, 2004
Toronto
I'm thinking about 25 other teams have the same complaint. And its not like big fish always pan out anyway, as they are usually getting paid for past accomplishments.

Ad

Latest posts

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->