When is our Captaincy confirmed? We need a Captain already y'all

When is our Captaincy confirmed? We need a Captain already y'all

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

slozo

Aug 28, 2011
Newmarket, ON
Voted Rielly. Better fit in terms of personality, and I just get this whiff of Matthews not minding a captain, but not exactly wanting it.

Rielly, on the other hand, would be honoured by it. He wants it. And doesn't mind the added pressure.

JerseyMike34

Dec 29, 2017
Neither.
I don't think this team currently has a captain on the roster. At least none of the level of Mats Sundin or Doug Gilmour..... maybe Rob Ramage.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Neither.
I don't think this team currently has a captain on the roster. At least none of the level of Mats Sundin or Doug Gilmour..... maybe Rob Ramage.

Mats was an ok captain. Roberts is real deal captain material. Dougie as well.

I agree, I don't see a real deal captain in the bunch.

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
Next captain must want the responsibility: Maple Leafs great Mats Sundin

Sundin: Next captain must want the RESPONSIBILITY

“It would be easy to say Auston, he should be the captain,” Sundin said during Friday’s Leafs Lunch show on TSN 1050. “Saying that, it has to be a player and a person that wants to carry that responsibility and actually play better wearing the ‘C’.”

“I got a question the other day: ‘What is great leadership?’” Sundin said. “I played with and against so many; Joe Sakic, Nick Lidstrom, Scott Niedermayer and everyone always talked about Mark Messier.

“Most of the great leaders I played with led by example, the way they play on the ice, compete the most, the way they treat (people) in their dressing room in a very professional way, treat them the same, whether it’s another player, the equipment manager or the person down in the garage where you park your car.

“They are professional off the ice and first in the gym. You want that kind of culture in your leader and when you have someone that — when he’s also the star and the highest-paid guy — the rest of your team is going to follow. When I look at a leader, that’s what I want to see.”

Reactions: BrainyBomber

member 147413

Rielly is the next captain I think, Matthews is too young.

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
We'll have to give someone the C sooner or later, but really, a good leadership group is what's needed. VGK have yet to name a captain and they're four wins away from achieving the ultimate in NHL team success.

SportsJunkie

Jan 29, 2013
Toronto
I don't see a captain on this team yet...I prefer Kadri but it won't happen. It's going to be Matthews but maybe not this year

93gilmour93

Feb 27, 2010
zAFSeBg.jpg

The captain will be here in just over a month ;)

Skin Tape Session

Oct 7, 2017
I think Matthews stepped up. He was not happy with his time in the playoffs and voiced that, he didn't go behind the coaches back or use the media, he told him to his face. Babcock knowing his future is tied to Matthews ran his ass to arizona to smooth it over. The kid is the captain and has proven it to me.

Skin Tape Session

Oct 7, 2017
The worst thing we can do is name Matthews captain before he re-signs.

If that's the plan, we might as well drop a steaming dump on the $1,500,000 in cap space we'd be flushing down the toilet.

If Matthews wants a penny more than $10,000,000/year than Rielly should be captain.

The Eichel contract was a mistake & a knee jerk reaction to Edmonton's prior mistakes. I don't like the idea of using a mistake as a comparable. Any comparable outside of Eichel & Draisaitl puts Matthews within $7-8,000,000 x 7-8 years.

$7,750,000 x 7 years = Matthews
$6,250,000 x 7 years = Marner
$5,500,000 x 6 years = Nylander

To bad the world has changed. I don't even recognize it anymore.

What the heck are you blabbering on about the world having changed etc?
Matthews is not taking 7 years at 7.7 million lmao. He's not coming in under 8.5. at the minimum. I would be happy if we can get him at 9 but expect 10. I think 9 for 8 years is fair.

Nylander is not taking 5 for 6 years. For two years he might. This post is just fail city u.s.a.

drewjenks

Oct 1, 2017
Canada
What the heck are you blabbering on about the world having changed etc?
Matthews is not taking 7 years at 7.7 million lmao. He's not coming in under 8.5. at the minimum. I would be happy if we can get him at 9 but expect 10. I think 9 for 8 years is fair.

Nylander is not taking 5 for 6 years. For two years he might. This post is just fail city u.s.a.

"What the heck are you blabbering on about the world having changed etc?"

Soooo when I said:

"To bad the world has changed"

That was basically me confirming that none of the contracts I mentioned are gonna happen (but they would have been standard a few years ago).

So it's all good because we agree completely.

However....your readings skills are "fail city USA" (you need a better quote).

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
I think Matthews stepped up. He was not happy with his time in the playoffs and voiced that, he didn't go behind the coaches back or use the media, he told him to his face. Babcock knowing his future is tied to Matthews ran his ass to arizona to smooth it over. The kid is the captain and has proven it to me.
Lol. That is why Babcock went to visit with Mathews and his family...

Someone from his family talked to the media. It was the same when the Leafs did not say he was concussed then Mathews came out and said he was...that sure made the Leafs look good.
Coincidence or not both times Nick was the one who spoke and first his concussion and then the rift between Babcock and Mathews.

I laugh at people on here blaming the media when lots of things point to it being the truth. Mathews Mom suddenly stops wearing a Leafs Jersey to games when she had every time before. Babcock going to visit him at Home despite saying everything was fine and even said he asked him. Then why the need to go speak to him.

Lou suddenly getting shoved aside. I am sure he would not have been in favour of sending Babcock with his tail tucked between his legs to go speak with the Mathews.

No way would I give him the C until he was able to put his big boy pants on and act like he was an adult as thus far he has not.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->