When is our Captaincy confirmed? We need a Captain already y'all

When is our Captaincy confirmed? We need a Captain already y'all

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Zybalto

Dec 28, 2012
Surprised so many votes for Rielly. One thing he had in common last year with Matthews is that he was impressive during the regular season but was no better than Matthews in the playoffs. I think Rielly may be the most teflon player on the Leafs ATM.

colchar

Apr 26, 2012
If they sign Tavares he becomes captain. If they don't, they won't name one until next summer because there are free agent targets then (assuming they make it to free agency) who could be captain (ie. Doughty). Once the dust settled on free agency they can name someone internal if they haven't signed a big name from elsewhere.

Azazel

Jan 2, 2016
Matthews should have been named captain at the beginning of the playoffs. Before game 1. This year should have been Matthews leading the team out to prove something. If we face the same next year with no leader I will have many big concerns.

BigBlu

Oct 15, 2013
Matthews seems grumpy. Maybe go for the Canadian.

(this is all the coach's fault... Matthews should be blooming, embracing TO and the team,,, the obvious captain!! but Babs is always chastising and teaching his best players a lesson... Nylander, Matthews, etc,,, and choosing his own personal favourites,,, Hyman, Polak, Komo, etc....) Just live large Mike, with the awesome stable of talent you stumbled into..

drewjenks

Oct 1, 2017
Canada
So when's the time? Next month? The next month after that? The Legendary Toronto Maple Leafs do need a captain already and we need to decide who that sucka gon be. He better be tough and rough, cause they gon hit that thang hard after that there. Matthews or Rielly? That is the question beside the fact when's this thang going to go down? Sooner the better. The Maple Leafs should ALWAYS have a Captain cause that really makes the team. The final nail on that thang.

The worst thing we can do is name Matthews captain before he re-signs.

If that's the plan, we might as well drop a steaming dump on the $1,500,000 in cap space we'd be flushing down the toilet.

If Matthews wants a penny more than $10,000,000/year than Rielly should be captain.

The Eichel contract was a mistake & a knee jerk reaction to Edmonton's prior mistakes. I don't like the idea of using a mistake as a comparable. Any comparable outside of Eichel & Draisaitl puts Matthews within $7-8,000,000 x 7-8 years.

$7,750,000 x 7 years = Matthews
$6,250,000 x 7 years = Marner
$5,500,000 x 6 years = Nylander

To bad the world has changed. I don't even recognize it anymore.

Last edited:
Reactions: NovaLeaf

colchar

Apr 26, 2012
Matthews should have been named captain at the beginning of the playoffs. Before game 1. This year should have been Matthews leading the team out to prove something.

He needs to captaincy to be motivated to prove something?

Coachcorner

Senor Martinez
Sep 28, 2017
The worst thing we can do is name Matthews captain before he re-signs.

If that's the plan, we might as well drop a steaming dump on the $1,500,000 in cap space we'd be flushing down the toilet.

If Matthews wants a penny more than $10,000,000/year than Rielly should be captain.

The Eichel contract was a mistake & a knee jerk reaction to Edmonton's prior mistakes. I don't like the idea of using a mistake as a comparable. Any comparable outside of Eichel & Draisaitl puts Matthews within $7-8,000,000 x 7-8 years.

$7,750,000 x 7 years = Matthews
$6,250,000 x 7 years = Marner
$5,500,000 x 6 years = Nylander

To bad the world has changed. I don't even recognize it anymore.
That there some big dollar y'all heard me. These is some suckas making that world go round, with all that money. They be getting that tang for surely.

But yeah we needs to make this move sooner not later. Like the other guy said on top of that: We should have made that beautiful move before the playoffs and make matthews (beast mode) in the playoffs. He would have exploded on people's faces in the playoffs with that C. And if that's not the plan, then Rielly should wear it cleanly. I am too with the other comrades in the case of furious curious Tavares. If he gets the deal with us for more than 5 years: He should be the captain of the franchise.

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
He needs to captaincy to be motivated to prove something?
Exactly. He needs to PROVE something, THEN be named Captain!

The way he played against Boston, injured or not, did nothing to prove he deserves to be Captain!

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
Until I see a thread saying 'Confirmed with Link: Tavares is a Leaf', it is useless to even say his name in a sentence containing the words Leafs and Captain!

Last edited:

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
Surprised so many votes for Rielly. One thing he had in common last year with Matthews is that he was impressive during the regular season but was no better than Matthews in the playoffs. I think Rielly may be the most teflon player on the Leafs ATM.
Rielly wore number 4. He had a very good playoffs had to carry his partner as he was horrible.

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph
Exactly. He needs to PROVE something, THEN be named Captain!

The way he played against Boston, injured or not, did nothing to prove he deserves to be Captain!

So he needs to lead us to success before he can lead us to success?

AuraSphere

Jun 27, 2012
Rielly deserves it more than anyone on the team.. he actually acts like a captain. Matthews has done nothing to deserve it other than being hyped as "2nd only to McDavid". With the way he acted throughout the playoffs and afterwards, he's clearly not ready. And no I'm not talking about his play, I'm talking about his attitude.

Coachcorner

Senor Martinez
Sep 28, 2017
Rielly deserves it more than anyone on the team.. he actually acts like a captain. Matthews has done nothing to deserve it other than being hyped as "2nd only to McDavid". With the way he acted throughout the playoffs and afterwards, he's clearly not ready. And no I'm not talking about his play, I'm talking about his attitude.
It's getting real close and were making the decision. As y'all see Rielly is almost 40% and still going hard. We might be choosing him because of his natural leader abilities and loving to play for toronto. We're getting real close and don't even need the 50% vote. We just had to see it would even over 35%. That tells us enough of y'all fans.

member 300185

So when's the time? Next month? The next month after that? The Legendary Toronto Maple Leafs do need a captain already and we need to decide who that sucka gon be. He better be tough and rough, cause they gon hit that thang hard after that there. Matthews or Rielly? That is the question beside the fact when's this thang going to go down? Sooner the better. The Maple Leafs should ALWAYS have a Captain cause that really makes the team. The final nail on that thang.
The Leafs captain is still with the Islanders.

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
We don't need a captain, sure we could have one, but we don't need one. Kind of an outdated necessity, particularly for the most team orientated sport I can think of...Practically, it only really means the poor bastard who has to take Steve Simmons self important questions, "face the media", which really has zip to do with results. Who needs the added pressure of being a captain when you think about it. Of course it will be Matthews, but I could care less and it's really just a pain in the ass.

Jeffrey Pedler

Mar 21, 2018
Reilly is a natural born leader, matthews has shown no leadership qualities what so ever. Matthews is 220lbs and yet Marner plays more physical than him at 175lbs.

TakeTheBody

Jan 10, 2018
Love Matthews. I believe your best player doesn't always have to be your captain. In this case the guy who seems to buy in the most and the team rallies around is Kadri. Seems they all joke with him. If there are any cliques on the Leafs I think he is friends with all of them. Kadri gets my vote.....

socko

Nov 26, 2013
Martinez, GA
Kessel gets the C.

03-03-salsiccia-napoli-piccante-curva.jpg

Reactions: 93gilmour93

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->