When Hasek was a Sabre...

NotABadPeriod

ForFriendshipDikembe
Oct 28, 2006
I think it's widely acknowledged that in all the best goalies debates, Hasek had the highest prime. He was flat out dominant.

It's arguable he was the best player in the league during that period too. Granted, Lemieux wasn't playing (and Gretzky was towards the end of his career), but the only other player during that time who could truly dominate the game was Peter Forsberg.

Unaffiliated

Aug 26, 2010
Richmond, B.C.
I think it's widely acknowledged that in all the best goalies debates, Hasek had the highest prime. He was flat out dominant.

It's arguable he was the best player in the league during that period too. Granted, Lemieux wasn't playing (and Gretzky was towards the end of his career), but the only other player during that time who could truly dominate the game was Peter Forsberg.

Jaromir Jagr.

chi777

Feb 23, 2006
Jaromir Jagr.

Him too. But I still think that Hasek was the best player in the league for that brief stretch of time. It could just be the homer in me I can't count how many times I would say to myself "we had no business winning that game at all if it weren't for Hasek."

5 Minute Major

Sabres Fan
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2010
Vestal, NY
Roy was great, so was Brodeur.

I know people will say I am a Sabres fan but watching that guy night in and night out was something else. Those Sabres teams didn't have much talent but Hasek was the equalizer.

Puckgenius*

Anyone remember he sabres defense from the late 90s?

I know it was pretty average.

Puckgenius*

he was consistent posting a .930SV%, 13SO in 97-98 and 1.87GAA in 98-99 wow :amazed: i doubt we will ever see those numbers ever from any goalie

CloudReader

Jan 31, 2005
Montreal
Smehlik, Woolley, Warrener, McKee, Zhitnik, Patrick.

Looks like a pretty solid bunch to me defensively. Probably a bit unheralded.

Pengo

Jan 27, 2011
My favorite player. :)

I wish there was more of Hasek on Youtube but there is this:

Calderon

Mar 24, 2006
How good or highly regarded was Hasek in Chicago? Did he outshine Belfour many times?

The improvement in SV% and GAA from 92-93 to 93-94 is enormous.

One of my favorite players of all time for sure, I started following him in 1994 or 1995 when I saw him make a great save in TV's sporting news on Finnish national television. :yo:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dominik_Hašek

Unaffiliated

Aug 26, 2010
Richmond, B.C.
how about no

Edit: I guess you could include Sakic in the conversation without looking like you know nothing what you are talking about but Yzerman and - Modano? huh...

Sakic is by my favorite player ever, but he really doesn't belong in this conversation, nor does Yzerman. Modano isn't even close.

TheMistyStranger

ミスト
May 21, 2005
Sakic is by my favorite player ever, but he really doesn't belong in this conversation, nor does Yzerman. Modano isn't even close.

Absolutely.

I feel bad for those who are too young to remember his prime. It was unbelievable, like a different magic act every time somebody shot the puck at him.

tombombadil

Jan 20, 2010
West Kelowna, Canada
Since I have watched hockey, the guys who could, on a regular basis, carry a team nearly by themselves.... would go like this:

Hasek/Lemieux
Gretzky
Roy/Messier/Forsberg/Jagr/Lindros/Crosby/Ovechkin
Fedorov/Sakic/Datsyuk/Selanne/Bure/etc.

dbr2

Lockout Beard
Mar 12, 2008
NJ
Guy was insane. I am fortunate enough to have seen Hasek in his prime. He used to make me so mad as a Flyers fan. But, you have to respect the guy.

revolverjgw

Oct 6, 2003
Nova Scotia
Yeah, goalies these days could never get...oh, let's say, .938sv%, 2.00 GAA and 9 SO

The key word in his post was "consistent". Other goalies can put up numbers like that in one or two freak years (usually with a Norris contender in front of him), but for Hasek, .930+, 2.00 or less with 9+ shutouts was just a typical season, nothing special. And he did that with Alexei Zhitnik as his number one d-man.

So yeah, to answer the question, Hasek was the best I've seen. He was into my head, not just the players. I knew Canada was already dead going into that shootout in 1998.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->