When does the price tag get too expensive on equipment?

Discussion in 'Fugu's Business of Hockey Forum' started by Bauer21, Mar 4, 2011.

View Users: View Users
  1. Bauer21

Bauer21 Registered User

Skates $600, sticks $250, a role of tape over $3!!! The past 10 years equipment prices have done nothing but rise. Yes, the skates are lighter than ever and the feel of the sticks are better than ever, but..... When do the prices get too high that we just frankly can't afford it anymore?

Last edited: Mar 4, 2011
  2. Crazy_Ike

Crazy_Ike Cookin' with fire.

About fifteen years ago.

3. danishh

danishh Registered User

the problem isnt the high end equipment rising in price.

the problem is that manufacturers are killing the low-end equipment and forcing kids to buy high end equipment that they dont need.

4. Fidel Astro

Fidel Astro Registered User

Home Page:
    There are still lots of kids who are able to get by with used equipment. I think aside from jocks and neck guards, every piece of equipment I had throughout my entire childhood playing hockey -- from skates to pants to elbow pads -- was used. It was never really an issue.

I haven't bought any new gear in years, because my daughter isn't even two yet (although I already have a pair of bob-skates for her for next year), but just from perusing sports stores now and then, it seems like a decent pair of skates can still be found for $200 or less ... well below the $600 in the original post.

Is this just a regional thing? I realize in some non-traditional hockey cities, finding gear is not as easy as it is here in Canada, which is too bad.

5. rj

rj Registered User

Sounds like a good job for an engineer to produce lower-cost hockey equipment.

6. cbcwpg

cbcwpg Registered User

Try having a son that plays goal at a high level. Just for safety reasons you need good quality gear. Goal pads - $1600 Goal mask - $800

7. Fidel Astro

Home Page:
    I bet. I'm hoping my kids stay away from that position.

8. TheShoe82

TheShoe82 No Diving!

IT / Higher Education
    Yikes!

Goalie gear is certainly more expensive. The masks seem like a huge ripoff for what is essentially a molded piece of fiberglass, unless you have a custom one made.

As for other gear, I have found that even cheaper skates are pretty decent nowadays. I bought a pair of $150 dollar skates vs. my older $350 dollar pair and never looked back.

Sticks have gotten out of hand, though. I wonder how much it actually costs the major stick manufacturers to make a one piece stick. $20? $40? Either way, thats a HUGE markup. Add in a measly 30 day warranty and they have you by the balls.

9. cbcwpg

cbcwpg Registered User

Just to comment on the masks and not to get OT.. To me this is the most important piece of goal equip. that one should never scimp on. Yes, the cheaper masks are basically a molded piece of fiberglass, but the more expensive ones are a little different.

It really boils down to the level of play, thier age, and the speed of the puck that is hitting them in the head. For younger kids 13 and under say, the fiberglass masks are fine, but when your facing 16 year old and up kids who can fire the puck at 80+ MPH, the basic fiberglass masks aren't going to cut it. If seen kids wearing a basic fiberglass mask get knocked down and out by a shot to the head.

My sons mask ( $800 ) is a woven combination of fiberglass, carbon fibre, and kevlar. Compared to his old fiberglass mask he used to use, he says now he doesn't even feel most shots that hit him in the head.

10. Fidel Astro

Home Page:
    Where are you guys buying sticks, anyway?

I still see sticks in the $20 range all over the place.

11. jessebelanger

jessebelanger Registered User

Lol..always trying, eh fidel? ;)

Anyway, yes gear is extremely expensive. Particularly for any player who is going to be playing a high level. As Crazy_Ike said, its been that way for years. Unfortunately it seems to just be part of the game.

12. tarheelhockey

tarheelhockey Highest Boss

It's already too expensive. Outfitting one small child to play hockey is easily going to set you back a few hundred dollars, before you ever pay a league fee. For middle-class families with 3 or 4 kids, it's out of the question.

13. cheswick

cheswick Non-registered User

You can still buy $30 sher-woods. You don't need to buy the same stick Sydney Crosby uses.

On this topic I head Espisito on the radio the other say. He said he was looking at the Lightnings book and their budget for sticks this past year was over $1million.

14. Fidel Astro

Home Page:
    Exactly. I can't imagine how it would feel for a kid to break a $100 stick. "There goes my allowance for the next 10 years."

15. Bear of Bad News

Bear of Bad News HFBoards Escape Goat

A lot of the youth hockey organizations here have their own goal gear, which they loan out to the goaltenders.

16. cbcwpg

cbcwpg Registered User

Correct, but each club is different. The club just down my street was doing so, but only until the kids were 12 years old. At that point the safety issue came up because the club bought the cheapest stuff they could find, and the kids just were not comfortable wearing it, so you ended up buying your own. As parents what we did was make sure all the parents of goalies knew who each other were, so that there is always a place to buy used equip., or trade equip.

17. tarheelhockey

tarheelhockey Highest Boss

It's really not the sticks so much as the pads. You can (and probably should) tell your kid to suck it up and play with a wood stick, but you shouldn't tell him to suck it up and wear a flimsy helmet.

18. Huddy*

Huddy* Registered User

Financial Advisor-AXA
    At Red Wing games, they have a store where you can buy game used sticks for $50-$100.00 / stick. I have bought 3 Datsyuk sticks over the past year, for under the price of one of his sticks at a store. Plus, the sticks at the store are made for Amateurs, while the ones peeps can purchase at Joe Louis Arena, are made for NHL players, and adjusted to their liking.

I also bought Drapers Pants and Gloves for $225.00 total

Pretty awesome they let go of this stuff, and I could care less to keep it as commertive since I can go back anytime and grab more...they have skates, gloves, shoulder pads, elbow pads, helmets...etc

19. Kebekoi

Kebekoi Registered User

Computer Tech
    I hope they throw away the jock straps :sarcasm:

20. Huddy*

Huddy* Registered User

Financial Advisor-AXA
    LOL :handclap:

21. MasterDecoy

MasterDecoy Who took my beer?

that is very, very ****ing cool... i wonder if other teams are doing this?

22. tp71

tp71 Enjoy every sandwich

Unrestricted Free Agent
    Going through your posts in this thread, it seems like you have this down to a science. Nice job.

Growing up my dad always had his eyes and ears open for good used equipment for me. Rarely did I get new pads, gloves or skates and really the only thing I ever got new were chestprotectors and helmets. The helmet being the only thing I think you should never buy used which you mentioned as well in another great post. There were a lot of other goalie parents in my leagues growing up that were always asking questions as well.

23. mike14

mike14 Reach

Question to parents (and others): if some Chinese (or other Asian country) factory started pumping out low-cost hockey equip would you buy it for yourself/kids or would you not trust it to do the job?

Assuming that it technically conformed to whatever safety standards exist

24. HabsByTheBay

HabsByTheBay Registered User

I don't see why I shouldn't. The absolute top of the line stuff is probably better made in Canada, but for your average amateur's equipment bag the reduction of quality is likely minimal and the different in cost could be huge.

25. cbcwpg

cbcwpg Registered User

Thanks. I have been playing hockey for over 30 years and I thought I knew everything, but once you become the parent of a goalie, a whole new world opens up. My advise to any parent who has a son/daughter who wants to play goal, is find someone else that has already been through it, thier advice will save you a lot of uncertainty.