Speculation: Nylander contract discussion

When do the Leafs announce he has signed?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I know a close friend of Nylander's girlfriend and apparently hes holding out for 8x8M

That number isn't insane compared to what Nylander could likely become but unfortunately he doesn't have any run way to prove that nasty playoff display was just a blip on the radar. Just not sure if we ultimately are going to have to choose between he and Marner, and you have to consider money, production, impact, everything. Maybe they bridge him for 2 years in that case?

No hometown discount though, when you factor in what Kucherov just signed for.

Arthur Morgan

Jul 6, 2016
Toronto
www.youtube.com
That number isn't insane compared to what Nylander could likely become but unfortunately he doesn't have any run way to prove that nasty playoff display was just a blip on the radar. Just not sure if we ultimately are going to have to choose between he and Marner, and you have to consider money, production, impact, everything. Maybe they bridge him for 2 years in that case?

ahh I was just screwin around I hope he signs long term 6-6.5M

Reactions: White Shadow

Nylanderthal

Jun 9, 2010
Getting those three long term for 24 seems optimistic.
Taking the coilers and buffalo out of the equation are those numbers really that out of line? Buffalo and Edmonton are outliers, not the norm. Kucherov just gave up 7 ufa years on a 8 year deal for 9.5 after a 4.6 bridge deal. He’s coming off back to back ppg+ seasons
Nylander and Marner comps are ehlers pasta Johnny hockey MacK forsberg tarasenko, or Kucherov if you’re talking about bridge deals. Factor in cap increase compared to when those guys signed and 7m is probably the +/- for Marner and Nylander (6.5-7.5aav 6-8 Years) and 5ish for a 2-3 year deal.
Matthews is trickier as he’s in another tier of player all together and they don’t come around as often. The last guys who Matthews compares to all took 5 year deals (Geno Kopi Toews JT Stamkos) with cap % that were pretty high, but there was expectations for a fast rising cap which never materialized. I also think it’s hard to give an rfa in Matthews more than a big ufa like JT. I see Matthews getting between 10-11. If the big 3 get locked in long term for 25ish, add jt @ 11 and Kadri for 4.5 that’s about 40m you have you’re core 5 guys up front locked in long term. Kadri’s steal of a contract really lets us make this group possible. A core that consists of two top ten centres, and another 1c quality guy with two ppg capable wingers to compliment them. Zaitsev and Rielly clock in at 9.5 combined, with Andersen at 5 make that 55m for your core 5 forwards, two top 4 pairing guys and a top ten goalie. Cap expected to rise to 80-85m over the next few years makes it very doable.
I’m also a huge fan of staggering the expiration date of the forward group by going 6 years for Nylander 7 for Marner and 8 for Matthews so then only one of the big four forwards come up in a single year in the future. It really hamstrings you when there’s two big deals to negotiate in a singular off season, just see our situation next summer with both Marner and Matthews in need of new deals, if you ask the general fan base it’s impending cap hell.

biotk

Jan 3, 2017
Buffalo
I’m also a huge fan of staggering the expiration date of the forward group by going 6 years for Nylander 7 for Marner and 8 for Matthews so then only one of the big four forwards come up in a single year in the future. It really hamstrings you when there’s two big deals to negotiate in a singular off season, just see our situation next summer with both Marner and Matthews in need of new deals, if you ask the general fan base it’s impending cap hell.

If staggering is the goal, I would just consider the big 3 and sign Nylander for 7 years. I don't see any reason to stagger around Tavares. He would be 35 starting his next contract.

Nylanderthal

Jun 9, 2010
If staggering is the goal, I would just consider the big 3 and sign Nylander for 7 years. I don't see any reason to stagger around Tavares. He would be 35 starting his next contract.
Fair enough, That’s what I had always wanted prior to JT coming home, but I can see either way. 6 years for Nylander probably brings the aav down a half mill or so too

djdev

Dec 26, 2015
costa rica
Hah! Well, funny enough, they did talk about $8 million on the Athletic podcast.
if willy asks for 8mil/8 and im dubas i counter with 1mil/8 then immediately say "see i can say stupid things too" then sign him for what hes earned or trade him lol

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002

Yeah, at 35, I wouldn't expect Tavares to be commanding top dollar or be a guy you'd keep over the other Big Three.

Maybe between Nylander and Marner you give one of them a 8 year deal and the other a 4 year deal short of UFA, so you can make an evaluation?

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010

He's not Kucherov, he's closer to Pasta who makes under 7

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
Getting those three long term for 24 seems optimistic.
10, 7.5,6.5. 11,7,6. 10.5, 7, 6.5. Tavares left money on the table, Dubas made it quite clear that will be instructive moving forward, I think 24 is doable, no question.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
10, 7.5,6.5. 11,7,6. 10.5, 7, 6.5. Tavares left money on the table, Dubas made it quite clear that will be instructive moving forward, I think 24 is doable, no question.

i hope so too. Lets be fair here JT had $80M banked already when he left money on the table its quite alot easier to leave money and be generous when you open your bank statement and see $40m~ just sitting in there. The big 3 maybe have a couple of million each its pretty unfair to expect them to take discounts

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
i hope so too. Lets be fair here JT had $80M banked already when he left money on the table its quite alot easier to leave money and be generous when you open your bank statement and see $40m~ just sitting in there. The big 3 maybe have a couple of million each its pretty unfair to expect them to take discounts
That's also JT's "last" contract, the big 3 will have others. I don't look at it like a discount either, just fair. You can pick each player, find a comparable on another team that is fair. Just because the Oilers are clueless doesn't mean the Leafs have to pivot off that. I think my numbers are quite fair, nobody is getting hosed or take advantage of, simply a good deal for the player and for the greater good of team success.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad